Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ash Trees 4 Green Army 2 a.e.t. (2-2 after 90 minutes)

Swifty

Unnecessarily hard work, but we made it in the end.

It took us a long time to get going. Ash United went in two up at half time, with nippy forward Nick Hammett outpacing Kieran (who got better as the game went on) and hitting a low angled shot in from 12 yards in the 12th minute, followed by a fine cross headed home by an unmarked Jake Griggs in the 41st. A very clever lobbed effort over our keeper nearly gave Ash a third before the break and that probably would have been curtains. We'd had our chances, Hughesy and Phil having powerful efforts excellently saved, but our crosses and final application weren't there in the first half.

Whatever was said at half time worked wonders. We pegged Ash back for long periods while they left one man up front and created a big barrier for us to break down. Unfortunately, while not outright dangerous, Ash became niggly (with a couple of tackles from behind going unpunished) and the behaviour of half their team was deplorable. Not just contesting most decisions, but regularly swearing at the officials and, on two occasions, standing right in the face of the 'lino' and swearing at him. While the official in question showed tremendous restraint, neither he nor the ref did anything about it and allowed the outbursts to continue for the rest of the game without caution. Meanwhile, Beads got booked for dissent. Laughable. I'll hold back a bit by saying Ash's forwards had a good game and kept us on our toes, but their best player was keeper Robert Savory (apparently keeper/coach and fourth choice custodian) who had an excellent game.

We'd made a few changes for this match. Jake Tayler played in goal and, after a shakjy start, grew in confidence and made some great interceptions. Conor started in midfield, and Big Phil took Dan's place up front and gave a man of the match display, scoring in the 55th and 78th (the second goal sparking embarrassing scenes of dissent by United) and taking us to extra time, where he laid on the third for sub Dan in the 111st. Another sub, Samad, dummied a defender on the line before stroking a low cross home from a couple of feet out in the 119th and, very pleasing to see, our third sub was Elz, back in the fray and playing as if he hadn't been away.

Full Quarter Final Draw ... 

Ashford Town (Middx) v Fleet Town

Camberley Town v Hartley Wintney OR Farnham Town

Cove v Alresford Town

Eversley & California v Reading Town OR Frimley Green

Tut tut, Springett. Very unlike you! Our previous match in this cup wasn't the final we won. We lost in the ASC the next season 5-3 at home to Cove when, if memory serves, our team was almost fully made up of reserves and youth lads who still put on a good show.

Probably shooting myself in the foot here but, while the strength of this competition has improved considerably in the last couple of seasons, I think it's a big shame that, with the sole exception of Bagshot this season, member clubs from the Aldershot and District League and nearby clubs in the Hampshire Premier League have been jettisoned from the competition. Okay, they stand greater chance of silverware in the Aldershot Intermediate Cup, but I miss the excitement (yes, really) of playing a team from a different league or level in as much the same way as when we faced Southern Amateur League teams (Carshalton, Kew Association and Merton) in the Surrey Senior Cup in the 90's before the 'must have floodlights etc.' rules were adopted.

unnecessarily hard work !! bit harsh swifty ! with a couple of in form players not playing and playing some players in different positions got to be a good result showed good fighting spirit to win when 2-0 down every game is going to be a battle when your playing a in form team like ashford , the third goal was a og put in the box by the young lad on the left and not scored by the number 9 fleet not a easy game but at least we are at home !

Hello and welcome to the forum!    ;)   

I think my comments might have been harsh but also fair, certainly in context of the first half, where the final ball was lacking and we gave ourselves a hill to climb. We're all allowed an opinion and, as I pointed out, what was said at half time did the trick.

Interesting to see 'Jack the ski' back in defence for the game. I thought Dan had scored the third goal because he went over to congratulate Big Phil as if he'd laid it on for him. Now, if Dan had shaken the Ash defender's hand instead, I'd have known who to announce as scorer.   :lol:

Archived