Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Curfews 0 Ash Trees 4

Swifty

A comprehensive victory in the end against a Chertsey team who were still in the game until a three goal blitz either side of the hour mark put us out of sight.

After a quarter hour of ebb and flow, we took the lead when Russ latched onto a lovely inswinging free kick and stuck his leg out to tuck it home from 15 yards out. Not the only effort Russ had in the match, either - he made a real nuisance of himself tonight. That lad's got a future!

Chertsey made inroads down the flanks and got several good efforts on goal, but they were all too close to Tyler who confidently dealt with everything in his direction. At the other end, we had a lot of good territory in Chertsey's half plus several decent pops at goal. Dan in particular had a couple of gilt edged chances which didn't come to anything.

That all changed after the break, when Dan hit an angled shot in the 55th which hit the post and went over the line before the despairing lunge of a Chertsey defender to keep the ball out. Good work by the 'lino' to see the ball had crossed the line.

With Bitz on the bench, and Hughesy not in the squad, "Flemmo" had a chance to show us his free kick skills a la Badshot Lea in the 59th minute and duly despatched a 20 yard peach of a shot into the corner. Chertsey's keeper went off injured two minutes later, and virtually the first thing their other keeper had to do was pick the ball out of the net, when Max hit a 65th minute shot from the edge of the box which got a flick off Sammy and wrongfooted the custodian, but the committee awarded the goal to Max.

After that, we could have had two or three more, there was the comical sight of the 'lino' giving Chertsey's lumbering number 5 some deserved backchat (well done, sir!), and we managed to keep a clean sheet despite a number of Chertsey efforts. The only time Tyler was beaten, Alex made a brilliant last minute goalline clearance. All in all, a solid performance on a bobbly pitch which didn't fully suit our game, but we made the most of it. That was more like it, lads!   ;)

I should also mention that it was an enjoyable game played in good spirits, and I can't remember a single cynical or blatant foul (not something we can always say in games against Chertsey), apart from hands above the chest on Kieran by Curfews' frustrated number 10 right at the end. It was late in the game but deserved a card. Taking that one incident out of the equation, it was an easy game for the ref to handle, and he handled the match very well and with no fuss.

Well, there was an "a" and an "x" in the name of the scorer I got wrong, so I was close!  :D

Talking of scores and scorers, early in the game I urged the lads to match Molesey's winning margin at Alwyns Lane earlier this season. Chris Canderton then said he'd give me twenty pounds if we managed it. He definitely started developing a nervous twitch when we made it four with 25 minutes still left!

Some interesting reading in last night's programme, not least the thorny issue of admission prices versus running costs. John Pomroy's now played over 350 games for Chertsey, and Pietro Palladino's been transferred to Molesey, so we can expect to see his trickery this Saturday, as if the game wasn't going to be tough already.

Shame Hughesy's leaving (he was at the match last night, but I heard through the bush telegraph that a team not a million miles from the fixture have made an approach). Hughesy would walk straight into most teams in this division and, most other seasons, he'd probably be a regular fixture in our starting eleven, such has been the strength of our team so far this campaign. Best of luck, Joe. While on the subject, Would it be impertinent to ask if any other players on the fringes have recently left? No answer need be given if that's an awkward question.

Eddie -

the thorny issue of Admission Prices versus Running Costs strikes a chord. Not having made it to last night's game,  I would appreciate a view, by whatever means.

My email knb9654@gmail.com is best.

As for players leaving, this is new to me, so cannot assist. I just hope they are not heading to a place down the road in Hatton Road (that leaves up to 4 possibilities).

All the best,

Mack

Archived