Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ash Trees 3 Spelly 1

Swifty

A fine performance and a deserved win. Spelthorne Sports had squad numbers, but we played as a team. Actually, that's unfair on Spelly, who played their part in a local derby which was played in very good spirits and well officiated.

We got a dream start when Dan smacked the ball home in the 2nd minute, and we got some deserved breathing space when Max hit it home in the 33rd. We were worthy of the two -goal half-time lead, but Spelly started the second half with purpose and determination. Fleminho's exquisite lob in the 65th gave us another rush of adrenalin and, with our lads going close several times and Tyler being tested by Spelly's forwards, the chances of the game finishing with three goals was slight and Jesse Atiase's thumping last minute consolation was the least Spelly deserved.

Hard to pick a man of the match, as everyone gave their all in a solid team performance. Dan probably shaded it with his finishing and hold-up play again. Hope Bitz's injury isn't too bad.

Shame to hear Conor and Kieran have gone. Best of luck to the lads at their new clubs. Welcome to Illia Petrovic and welcome back to Ryan after his work injury.

Special mention for Lyndon, the Ashford fan who's now crossed the floor to Spelly as they're nearer to his home. He came in for a right load of good-natured stick on the terraces today but held his own. There was lots of jokey banter between the two sets of fans which made for an enjoyable atmosphere.

May I wish a Happy New Year to everyone at the club.

Hi all, it was a shame that I missed the game (great win and well done to the lads) but family must come first.

Real shame to read about Conor and Kieran, a sad loss to Ashford as they were good players,

but I suppose they wanted regular 1st team football and had to move on, I wish them well.

Does any body know which clubs they have moved to? 

Cove 2  6 Farnham what went on there, are Cove having a dip in form? We are now  2 points behind and a game in hand, or do we forget about Cove and keep an eye on Molesey and Camberley instead. 

Ashford play Farnham next, given the result at Cove, this should be a very good game to watch and I will look forward to an Ashford win. 

The trouble with rumours being posted about players leaving, is that it can undermine any attempts that a manager may be trying to convince a player to stay.

I had three different people tell me three different accounts about a player yesterday!

It can do nothing but have a negetive affect on the situation.

As the manager has stated, he is available for a chat with any supporter who feels they need to know something about the team.

Of course, rumour mongers usually ply their pointless trade because they never know anything genuine that isn't common knowledge, have empty lives and think they are far more important than they are. A step back to remember just how insignificant these things are wouldn't be a bad one, in my view...but then that's just my opinion.

I have no worries or complaints about the management or current first team squad, and no bad intentions are or were meant.

For Smoking Gun's reference, Kieran was travelling from Sutton for limited chances so he's been released, but Kieran's departed on good terms and his registration's been retained, as mentioned in yesterday's programme.

From what i've heard, Conor has left for regular first team football and he'll probably end up somewhere local, as he lives about five miles from our ground. If I've got that wrong, i apologise. By the way, any info on Illia would be much appreciated, seeing as we now have no home game till Tuesday week.

It has to be a very difficult job, knowing you've got a very settled and talented group of first team players and only so many spaces to fill, especially when you look at the performances put in by the likes of Elz, Max and even Ginger Bobby Moore to name just three. The lads have settled and blended quickly, and reached levels we could only have dreamt of this time last season. A good example of that is how we kept Spelthorne quiet for the first half (at least on the pitch  :lol: ) .

Motty, why not? You can help alert all the other clubs near us that our players might be available, Give them all the heads up!

Not sure how anyone can undermine the management when the team is flying high at the top of the table.

No point in me banging this drum anymore, some people are obviously too stupid to realise or they don't really care what info they give away on here. For what? To pretend they are "in the know"?

I give up.

Okay, folks, let's mellow a bit and remember what happened exactly a year ago today.

We travelled to high flying St.Ives Town in the middle of that awful run of consecutive losses. Due to a kit mix-up we looked like a pub team, we also played like a pub team, we were lucky to lose by just 4-0 and St. Ives's jokey fans were singng to our rookie manager "You're getting sacked in the morning".

Bit different now, isn't it? A complete turnaround.

By the way, thanks to Alan for the almost immediate info on Illia on our website, and a belated happy birthday to Shropshire Bob, as I didn't realise it was his birthday on Christmas Day.

Very remiss of me - thanks to Tone for the lifts home after the last two RPS games I've attended (I got taxis to the ground having been over the limit from the nights before). Much appreciated, mate.

Sadly, that accident we encountered by the Bulldog Crossroads after the Spelly game resulted in a fatality, a teenage girl. Puts a few men kicking a ball about into perspective. While I'm at it, hope Ray pulls through after his recent accident.

Eddie - glad to see you are behaving responsibly with regards to the 'night before' situation. Sounds like Clark Carlisle may have learned this lesson the hard way, and he is characterised as a brainy lad. Hope he recovers fully from his accident.

On the subject of birthdays, a belated happy birthday to Jesus for the 25th December.

Archived