Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Paris Massacre

What do members think about the current goings on in Paris and could a similar outrage find its way onto the streets of London. You have to admit that the Charlie Hebdo magazine's publishers, and editor Stephane Charbonnier in particular, were somewhat naive to think they could get away with constantly mocking Islam and they received numerous warnings, including their offices being fire bombed in 2011, prior to the un-surprising massacre on Wednesday.

I think they were aware of the risks but were just defiant, protecting the right of freedom of speech in France.

It demonstrates that extremism and a lack of tolerance from whatever group (I'm not singling out Muslims here) is a dangerous thing.

Could it happen in this country? Unfortunately yes.

No doubt Loosely will have an opinion on this, it looks like the protagonists are cornered like rats at the moment doesn't it holding a number of hostages and are talking about martyrdom, watch this space.

And no doubt whatever it is you will profess to hold the opposite opinion.

Je suis Charlie.

Here's an update on the current situation folks and how events dramatically unfolded on Wednesday. The two brothers suspected of shooting 12 people in the attack on satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo have this afternoon been killed and their single hostage freed unhurt, in a simultaneous operation, Police stormed a kosher supermarket in central Paris where a single gunman was also holding a number of hostages, he has also been killed however it is understood that some or all of the hostages have sadly been killed:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30708237

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-30722098

Rebel1965 - Don't you think though that Charlie Hebdo magazine editor Stephane 'Charb' Charbonnier went too far and paid for it with his life, incredibly his girlfriend Jeannette Bougrab is quoted as saying 'I always knew he was going to die' and he purposely never had children because he knew full well he was eventually going to be assassinated:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2903278/Girlfriend-murdered-Charlie-Hebdo-magazine-editor-says-knew-going-die-blames-police-failng-prevent-massacre.html

Romford Boy - I don't think Paris was fully prepared for such an outrage this week, they might have guessed something like that would happen with the Charlie Hebdo magazine having a Fatwa against them.

Edited by Ian_W
Let's not get personal

Freedom of speech is great and I am glad we have it,but at the same time I don't get why people feel the need to push the limits when they know heir enemies are capable of such atrocities,was it reay worth losing their lives over???

They are t dealing with kids here,these are trained killers and evil people and yes you don't want people to give into them but if you inflame a situation then there are plenty who would take advantage and kill in the name of revenge and their religion

Freedom of speech is great and I am glad we have it,but at the same time I don't get why people feel the need to push the limits when they know heir enemies are capable of such atrocities,was it reay worth losing their lives over???

They are t dealing with kids here,these are trained killers and evil people and yes you don't want people to give into them but if you inflame a situation then there are plenty who would take advantage and kill in the name of revenge and their religion

Perhaps we should ask ourselves the question that are self confessed Christians Blair and Bush  any less evil after being responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of innocent lives, and have their actions made the situation worse than what it would have been?

I think Blair and Bush's decision was very cold blooded actually, kind of makes it worse. But I think EU is right, the situation had already and was already happening. I wonder if it all comes down to the politics of envy really. these people don't really want our lifestyles though, they just don't want us to have them. The vast majority though do live in poverty and instead of blaming their 'rulers' - oil rich royal families or corrupt swiss bank account dictators they'd like to blame the US for supporting Israel and the rest of us for not arguing about it enough.

I agree with EU as well, this was going to happen no matter what.

Bush was cold blooded, Blair was naïve to say the least (which was probably worse IMO).

I think if there was a peaceful settlement with Israel, it would reduce the threat but not stop it - this things will still be happening.

That's not going to happen for a long time with both sides being so intransigent, only willing to only use weapons as negotiating tools.

My fear is that we start becoming increasingly strict in the west and that the civil liberties we now take for granted become increasing eroded away to combat the threat of terrorism. I don't particularly want to live in a police state just to be safe.

I agree with EU as well, this was going to happen no matter what.

Bush was cold blooded, Blair was naïve to say the least (which was probably worse IMO).

I think if there was a peaceful settlement with Israel, it would reduce the threat but not stop it - this things will still be happening.

That's not going to happen for a long time with both sides being so intransigent, only willing to only use weapons as negotiating tools.

My fear is that we start becoming increasingly strict in the west and that the civil liberties we now take for granted become increasing eroded away to combat the threat of terrorism. I don't particularly want to live in a police state just to be safe.

I also wouldn't wish to live in a police state, although I would probably find a left wing controlled police state less reprehensible than a right wing one. 

In the old Soviet bloc countries dissenters were quietly taken away and disposed of. If these attacks become commonplace I fear the same could happen in the UK. It would be nice to think these murdering lunatics will one day come to their senses, but I doubt anyone seriously believes that will happen.

What was the point of the marches and gatherings around the World yesterday, what a waste of time and what are they likely to achieve!

What was the point of the marches and gatherings around the World yesterday, what a waste of time and what are they likely to achieve!

All the other posts on this thread (bar yours) were actually interesting opinions to read..............shame you weren't visiting France the other day.

Mr Dacorum - All I'm saying is what's the point, the marches aren't going to achieve anything are they