Welcome to the new software - Please read! Read more... ×
Fans Focus - Non League football clubs
Sign in to follow this  
Alan ( GNFC )

Sympathy for Thanet United

I find it difficult to sympathise with Margit. Before the start of the project they knew it was ambitious. Then they hired the gang from Auf Wedersehen , Pet. Then they could pay the wages. The gang walked away. Sounds like a script from the TV series, but this seems to have happened. Too ambitious, too quickly. Has a familiar ring to the Jim Thompson fiasco at Maidstone and Dartford, managing to kill two clubs in one go. Then Sittingbourne tried to become the Anfield of Kent, but ended up going to the dogs!!!

Let us all thank God that we have a Chairman in Brian to die for. He has said time again that he is ambitious for the Fleet, but will remain contstrained by wearing a sensible hat when dealing with the club's money.

If all the other clubs could have been as intelligent as this we could had a Conference with Fleet, Sittingbourne, Dartford, Maidstone, Welling and Margit - all vying for the place as top non-league Kent side.

So apart from Alan W not too much sympathy for Thanet United then... a bit harsh on the average Margate fan but probably no different to the treatment we would get from them if the situations were reversed.

If Margate do end up paying huge slabs of wonga in fines where does the money go?

But surely every home match will be rearranged maybe not the date or time but the venue will be rearranged so all matches will be fined. I do have sympathy with them as our beloved GNFC was not that far from similar scenarios under Roger Ryan and we should appreciate the cautious approach Brian continues to take. Look at the other cases of ambition gone wrong Maidstone, Dartford, ENfield, Sittingbourne, I notice even Rushden & Diamonds are now up for sale.

James, I, like you do feel sorry for the true Margate supporters, the ones who have followed them all this time to Dover, and like you I remember the experience we had, actually David is right it was Roger Easterby. I remember Roger Ryan from that time though. He was working with the local newspaper, as was our own Charles Webster at that time. I remember their first efforts at shorthand (sorry Charles) James I can understand the confusion,we are all thinking about the great day ahead tomorrow. I would love to know is Roger Ryan in Hong Kong now?