Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Merstham

Swifty

Alan's match report sums it up nicely. The definitive game of two halves, and bitterly disappointing to miss out on the final when we were three up within half an hour.

Apparently, Merstham's keeper was playing with a hand injury which certainly assisted us with two of the predatorial goals. We were a bit fortunate to still be three up at the break due to our hosts' revitalised efforts, but we'd been magnificent, rattled our opponents for those first 30 minutes, and we were full value for the half time lead. Surely we could shut the game out and reach the final. Surely?

In the bar at half time, I told a disconsolate Merstham fan that if they scored early on in the second half it could change everything. I will now predict the lottery numbers. They scored within thirty seconds of the restart and bossed the second half totally. We couldn't live with their high tempo pressing long ball game, and we barely managed a shot after the break. It has to be said, though, if you're going to lose a game, lose it to an unstoppable belter from outside the box.

Good luck to Merstham in the final. An incredible comeback. As for us, a real shame the lads miss out on finals medals. Hopefully, it'll spur the team on for a final push towards promotion.

Thanks to Chris for the lift back, and to Ben for offering if I was stuck.

Merstham are renowned for the quick and very accurate passing.

I imagine this what caused their big come-back.

No it wasn't they couldn't get anywhere near us when playing on the deck.

Second half they just lumped it up to two giant forwards. The manager bellowing to the back four "Zero football , hit it long to ......"

Sadly, the goal 30 seconds into the second half panicked us and rather than playing a high line we sat deeper and deeper. A bit of nievety from our young team.

Still a good game though.

Archived