Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Hard Luck Guys

Unfortunatly my brother's car broke down en route to Gravesend so we never made it in the end. frown.gif

A good game! You certainly did give us a good run for our money and it was a very good opening goal for yourselves! Thought that the player that got sent off was a bit of a prat - I think you may have gone on to win it if he hadn't of gone. (Awaits baiting for that remark smirk.gif )

All the best for the rest of the season!

Kim

From where we were watching on the terrace, it looked a harsh decision. It also looked like the Ref missed a blatent penalty beforehand. HOWEVER (and of course I haven't seen the evidence yet.) My mate who taped it for me, reckoned the Ref got both things right. So it shows you how different things look on the box to seeing it live. I will of course reserve my judgement until later.

Good luck to lot anyway in the next round, Still reckon we were the better side on the day!

Didnt see the Gibbs incident, so cant comment - those facing the Notts defender were the ones who screamed loudest for the penalty for handball - unfortunately, though, both the ref and linesman were on the blind side, so couldnt really see clearly enough.

The only other incident that the ref may have chosen to handle differently was the incident involving Mckimm in the middle of the second half - there appeared to be a suggestion of an elbow being thrown - if that was the case, the Notts player should have been off as well.

Incidentally, I was also told on the train back to Gravesend that Gibbs had grabbed his things and stormed off in a huff - so we might not be going to see him again.

Perhaps im in a minority here but im gutted. I honestly didnt think they were any better than most conference sides. I thought Gibbs was outstanding till he got sent off. Again will need to look at it on TV before making a judgement. Still, i think the points that will be debated are the lack of Rob Haworth on the pitch. We were down to 10 men in the second half and he replaced Pinnock with Abbey, why? Nothing against Ben but he was never going to win any headers and we just asked for more County pressure. I think what clearly today indicated is that we need to go and buy a striker as soon as possible if he doesnt wish to have Rob play any part. Well done though lads, you all did your best.

Have to agree with the team selection today, although maybe I'd have had Duku in for Lee. Don't think Haworth would have done anything today, Pinnock did a lot of running and made a nuisance of himself, and Abbey coming on for him gave us a fresh pair of legs. If Gibbs deserved to be sent off then he let the side down big time, but I get the impression he thinks this level is beneath him. For me Moore, Mckimm, Perkins, and Drury were outstanding in an impressive team performance, and had Wilko and Gibbs remained on the pitch it could of been so different

Gutted. We should have had a draw out of that and to lose in 7 minutes of injury time is so cruel.

Thought the lads played their hearts out. We had an awful five minutes when Wilko went off, they scored and we lost Gibbs.

Was I the only one to think that I've seen yellow cards instead of red in situations like Gibbs? He neither raised his hands nor his feet - yes, it was a bloody stupid challenge, but would anyone have given out if the ref had only given a yellow?

Oh well, water under the bridge. We gave a good account of ourselves on Sky (having watched the 90 minutes through again) and Notts looked no better than a lot of Conference sides. And if only I'd followd through my feeling that Perks was gonna open the scoring... at least I'd have some cash to show for tonight. Instead of a hangover tomorrow...

Matt you're not on your own - I'm totally gutted. Being a girly the tears were welling up at the end. We gave a really good account of ourselves. The majority of the boys really did give it their all and I don't think we can ask for much more. I would have liked to have seen Haworth brought on and possibly Duku but other than that I'm just disappointed that we won't be in the draw tomorrow. We should return to the league buoyed by the success (beating Exeter and Chester!!) and continue to build and start winning!! Mr Perkins - you were FAB - so glad you're in our team!!!!

Super........Fleet Fanatic, what Gibbs did was a classic case of oh I've been fouled but the ref hasn't given me a free kick, I'm going to take my revenge........

Any player that commits a late challenge from behind that leaves an opponent injured is running the risk of being sent off, I won't quote the laws of the game, but it's something along the lines of "International Board Decision 4, Law 12, A tackle from behind, which endagers the safety of an opponent must be sanctioned as serious foul play" Blast that was a direct quote from this year's LOAF.

Now I know we don't see that with lots of tackles from behind but it's there in black and white so the option is always available to the referee.

That incident aside I thought the team gave an excellent account of themselves, and bearing in mind the results in the Conference didn't harm our survival chances at all, I'm looking forward to the rest of the season.

Exactly, I've seen it loads of times before, but as you say Gibbs is a seasoned pro and should know better.

Has anybody got an update on him storming out.......I know you're all for him being chucked in the Thames but surely the best way for him to give something back for this evening's performance is to return to the club and put a lot of bloody hard work in, even if it does eventually mean a return to the Football League for him.

It'll be interseting to see how things develop.

On the subject of Gibbs iv'e already made my feelings known on another thread,but I am puzzled by the exclusion of Haworth,they had a couple of big centre backs and we seemed to be lobbing the ball over them, I suppose in the hope that the pace of Pinnock & Drury might undo them.

I would have thought that a target man would have been a better option if your going to keep it in the air,when we did keep it on the deck we looked more potent( the goal was a good example)

Gutted hardly describes it! The game 'turned' on the 'sending off' - Fleet were more than holding their own until that point.

Baldry (an ex Terrier, along with Jenkins) who's tackle on Gibbs was 'late' was not penalised so Gibbs retaliated - not even viciously. To me that was not a sending off offence, more an unsavoury incident that could have been delt with. As it was it ruined the game. Isn't the refs job supposed to be about helping the game 'flow' not about taking sides. If Gibbs was going off so Baldry should have. It was no coinsidence that Baldry had a hand in the winning goal.

Oh well that's the end of that - but how often does one decision spoil a reet good game?

BB

I'm still gutted. Injury time, yet again. I don't know about the rest of the Plough End Boys but my throat is shot to pieces this morning. We should all be very proud, not only of our team, but ourselves for the constant noise we were making before, during and after the match. I shall be wearing my Fleet shirt again today (a clean one!) and wearing it with pride.

If number 53 gets drawn out of the hat this afternoon against West Ham, Chelsea, Man Utd etc. I think I'll jump in the Thames!!

How many did you get watching with you, BB?

Thought the ref was justified in sending off Gibbs for kicking out really - the second challenge was more yellow than red in the run of things, but when its premeditated as it was, I think red was fair.

The earlier challenge on Mckimm though was the one that could also have been a red card??

Well done lads...

As stated earlier... NCFC were no better than some of the conference sides and this game seemed little different from those seen at home in the last few weeks - 1:0 up at half-time and lose out in the last part of the game!

If you commit a rash act of vengence right under the main stand, the ref's nose and in the 2nd half then you should expect to be punished by a red card. Now if it was in the middle of the field, with the ref looking the other way and early in the game then it usually gets punished more moderately, as we all saw.

Was it hand ball? The expression on the ref's face suggested some element of possible mistake on his part when all of the crowd in the front instantly appealed.

Really dont think theres a lot between most Conference sides and many 2nd/ 3rd Div sides as I'm sure BB would agree.

We lost when they got the run of the ball for their second goal. The crossfield pass was cut out, but rand between 2 other defenders to Platt who finished well.

And, as Andy said on MOTD, we lost because we cant defend corjners. (There were actually too many players in the crowded penalty area for anyone to have a real chance of clearing it).

Felt sorry for Alex O'Reilly - excellent save 1st touch and we then defend the corner like that and he had no real chance with the winner either. Otherwise he had nothing to do in his spell on the pitch.