Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Jeremy Corbyn - Good or Bad?

Still think some of his policies are a bit iffy but he certainly spoke well in his acceptance speech. He had a majority with all sections of the vote, not just the unions so he has a clear mandate and I'm sure will be around for a while. Andy Burnham looked gutted!

His main job now will be to unite the whole party.

The trouble will be to try to be an idealist with a political system that will fight against it. Agree with Rhodes (yes really) - good luck, he'll need it.

I personally think he's the only Labour MP who can give Call-Me-Dave a hard time at PMQ's,

Do you think so, I can't see it somehow

When Cameron came into power he claimed to look for a more constructive PMQ - he then proceeded to be the biggest school bully you could imagine, making it personal against Miliband at every available opportunity. Can't see that changing.

Think Corbyn has seen it all before from the back benches so he should be ready for it. He needs to keep his temper.

Maybe a change in the format of Prime Ministers Questions is in order as I think it makes us look like a laughing stock on the world stage especially now it's televised. Something more constructive would be nice, maybe get the public involved if we want true democracy. That won't happen though.

Maybe a change in the format of Prime Ministers Questions is in order as I think it makes us look like a laughing stock on the world stage especially now it's televised.

It's a bear pit, I don't think it makes us look like a laughing stock and should be left well alone

Don't get me wrong !I definitely DON'T agree with all Corbyn's views.

Scrapping Trident would be silly when you've got North Korea and Vlad Putin sabre-rattling.

I don't like the way Corbyn has cosied up to the I.R.A in the past

The point I was trying to make, was that he is the ONLY opposite bencher that can give Cameron a run for his money in the House.  Personally, I don't care if Corbyn DOES loose his temper.  Cameron is so full of himself, I don't think he'd be able to handle it, loose his own cool and show cracks starting to appear in his armour.

Don't get me wrong !I definitely DON'T agree with all Corbyn's views.

Scrapping Trident would be silly when you've got North Korea and Vlad Putin sabre-rattling.

I don't like the way Corbyn has cosied up to the I.R.A in the past

The point I was trying to make, was that he is the ONLY opposite bencher that can give Cameron a run for his money in the House.  Personally, I don't care if Corbyn DOES loose his temper.  Cameron is so full of himself, I don't think he'd be able to handle it, loose his own cool and show cracks starting to appear in his armour.

I believe Trident should be scrapped  as the money should be better spent elsewhere. Perhaps the only sensible solution is for Corbyn to call for, or promise a referendum (if elected). 

This is becoming an interesting and sensibly discussed thread.

Labour, no matter who leads them are totally un-electable for at least five years, so they need someone to lead their way forward.

I'd absolutely hate any form of nuclear conflict, but we are a tiny island mid-way between east and west, and allegedly a 1st, world nation

Glad the Impaler Putin has quite recently tested our resources by sailing a Russian warship right through the English Channel and fly his bombers so close to our air-space in the north, that we have had to respond by scrambling our fighters.  If we scrap our only logical form of DEFENCE, we open ourselves up to more and more intimidation.

Back to Corbyn  -  As he now has the labour party whip-hand, I think the (responsible), unions will have a bigger say in the working mans lot.

YES - I am a life union member.  NO  -  I am NOT a labour supporter.

You could say my views range from far right to far left.

I watched the whole of 'The Last Night Of The Proms' on BBC TV last night, and felt, quite rightly, proud to be British.

Edited by Big J R

Undecided on Trident - much prefer to spend the money on the NHS and education to be honest but Putin is like a caged tiger and the economic sanctions are having an effect making him unpredictable .

As for Cameron , as I said before I don't like PMQ but I think controlled aggression without actually losing his temper would be the right way to tackle Cameron, be persistent and wear him down and forget the personal stuff he will throw at Corbyn. Agree that Labour won't win the next election unfortunately, hope in wrong as that will mean Osborn will be in charge and that will be worse than even Cameron

Undecided on Trident - much prefer to spend the money on the NHS and education to be honest but Putin is like a caged tiger and the economic sanctions are having an effect making him unpredictable .

As for Cameron , as I said before I don't like PMQ but I think controlled aggression without actually losing his temper would be the right way to tackle Cameron, be persistent and wear him down and forget the personal stuff he will throw at Corbyn. Agree that Labour won't win the next election unfortunately, hope in wrong as that will mean Osborn will be in charge and that will be worse than even Cameron

Of coarse Labour can win the 2020 general election, but only if they don't try to out Tory the Tories. Corbyn has reinvigorated politics and created excitement like no other English politician in my lifetime (Nicola Sturgeon did the same in Scotland with astonishing results). 

The Tories have a majority of 12 - not a massive amount to overturn. They might scrape the next election because of the Corbyn factor but then they'll be out of power for a long while afterwards - same as per Thatcher/Major. I expect the SNP to lose a lot of seats at the next election.

Hope you're right but I really can't see it unfortunately.

I don't think this country can stomach another 5 years of this lot.

All the Blairites plus the right wing gutter press are saying JC is unelectable, even though he has just been ELECTED by an unbelievable margin. I don't understand the logic in their thinking. My own view is that he has captured the imagination of enough people to win a general election easily, if it was in the next few months. Keeping up the momentum he has in his favour will be more difficult to maintain for another four and a half years. Its also a bit of a tired old cliché, but most commentators agree that opposition parties don't win election, but governments lose them.  

It's one thing to be elected by your peers and a completely different situation to be elected by the general public. I suspect the people who are mainly suffering will probably be in Labour held seats already (I know that's a sweeping generalisation but I think there will some truth in the demographics on that).

I hope you're right and I'm wrong on this because I fear for a number of the people of this country if we carry on the way we're going. Austerity isn't working.

I notice Corbyn decided not to take his seat at the England Rugby game as the representative of the opposition party, maybe he did not want to be seen failing to sing the national anthem again, or more likely as the opposition leader he was likely to sing Meda Dau Doka rather than God Save the Queen?

Jeremy was actually holding a surgery in his constituency last night so should be commended for putting the interests of the people that elected him first. 

I find it strange that a thoroughly decent man gets slaughtered for not singing the national anthem while the fact that half the England football team rarely did until quite recently and it hardly got a mention in the gutter press.

So is he or is he not leader of the labour party - he wanted the job, so he has to carry out the duties that go with the post.

Looks like he may already be out of his depth

I didn't know singing a silly song is part of JCs job description.