Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Chesham United v Enfield Town 4th Qualifying Round FA Cup 24/10

waggamick1

I will happily kill Mr. O'Donnell right now :ph34r:

Seriously, that was the worst refereeing performance I have seen in a long time. Three stone wall penalties turned down, every time a Cu*tham player went down it was a freekick.

The ref ruined what was otherwise a good game.

Never mind. We will do it next year.

Agree completely. Referee was completely incompetent and we was robbed of at least 2 pens. But no doubt our 'club' will give him top marks to keep in with the FA. Whoever marks the refs for our club should be publishing the marks as we need to see them to make sure idiots like today do not get any higher in the league. No fault to the players, they all tried their best, but us as a club and by that I mean officials need to get tough on crap refs. 

I Agree with TCC, the ref made a few wrong decisions but it was our performance that let us down today. Chesham are a decent outfit and we needed a top drawer performance to get the win. From the experience of the last 2 cup games, the southern league is more physical than the ryman prem presenting a different challenge. Still well done to Brad and the boys for making history and taking us to Q4. Only 1 week til the Trophy starts and that road leads to Wembley too! COYT

Chesham were crap apart from a very very good centre forward.

2 chances in the first half, they took both of them. Both came from set pieces. There was only one team who wanted to play the ball on the deck at every opportunity, and it wasn't the home team. 

At 1 down every Chesham supporter was expecting the ref to point to the penalty spot, but he booked Corey for 'diving'. Even the defender who pushed him looked embarrassed at that decision. Towards the end their #5 goes through HO with his four arm to get to the ball. Another pen but the ref gives the free kick the other way. Again, see my other post, whoever marks the ref for our club needs to publish what they have marked. Else we all know they are all in it together, one big boys club and getting all us mugs to pay for there jollys. No longer. 

I agree that the ref made one or two errors especially booking Corey. At the time I did not think it was a stone cold penalty however Corey definitely did not dive and did not deserve a booking unless it was something that he said to which we are not privy.

However, we did not lose because we did not get a penalty or that the ref was bad. We lost because we played a better team with a fast forward who exploited our gaps at the back. It was noticeable throughout the game that every time Chesham got the ball they hoofed it wide to the right to their main man. For the first 15 minutes or so until their goal we were the better side but when they scored they were getting back into the game and at the time were piling pressure on our defence. After the goal our heads seemed to go down and towards the end, apart from the 5 minute rally, we were never in it.

We had no wide players and kept on trying to break a well organised defence through the middle. It was never going to work. Where are the biplays with an overlapping full back breaking to the bye-line. Rarely when the midfield get possession do they spy a player in space out wide.

Still we got further in this competition than we have ever done before and have given a good account for ourselves in most games. Looking forward to next Saturday and more cup action. However, the league game against Hendon on Tuesday is more important and the Town have to raise themselves for that.

Whatever the reason(s), this was a very disappointing result for all us Town supporters, who travelled over to Buckinghamshire and, in all honesty, it is  quite a while since we have been made to look second best, for long periods, in a match of this (financial) importance.

We have done very well to reach this stage of the competition, with some fine performances, but yesterday, when the chips were down, we were found lacking. Chesham's second goal, just before the interval, was a killer-goal, and suddenly it seemed Town had a mountain to climb. We needed to score early in the second half to get back in the game, but it didn't happen. and we failed to use the slope advantage to our benefit. By the time Harry Ottaway scored late in the game, it was all too little too late.

Yesterday we under-performed and did not play to our strengths or ability. That match is now history. We now need to quickly move on, dust ourselves down, focus on an important home league match against Hendon on Tuesday evening, then Leighton Town in the FA Trophy next Saturday. Let's get back to winning ways guys!

Congratulations and all due credit to Chesham on their well deserved win, and good luck to them in the First Round Proper draw tomorrow.

Time to make myself unpopular again. Having been a Towner since day one and an ex referee of 20 years experience perhaps I can shed some light on the "marking" done by clubs. The marking is based on the overall performance of the official in all aspects of the game. There is a minimum mark you can give (51 I think) without having to submit a written explanation as to why you've given your marks. If a club really feels they want to mark lower then the letter must contain detailed reasons why. But again it can only be IF the referee IS WRONG IN LAW. Something like Harry's penalty claim yesterday wouldn't come under that as its purely a subjective decision. MOST decisions of that nature come down to someone's opinion. An assessor watching that game wouldn't necessarily base his assessment purely on one decision.

Whilst I don't agree with the decision to caution Corey (it wasn't a penalty IMO) I understand why he felt he had to do so. Unfortunately there has been a shift in players thinking in the last 10 years or so where it seems that at the slightest touch they have to fall to the ground and hope that the referee is convinced. We aren't immune to this malaise one or two of our players are cheating themselves because they have the ability to do more but take the easy option.

We were second best yesterday and didn't deserve anything from the game.

I know some people won't agree with anything I've said above but if you have the chance to watch a game objectively maybe you might see it.

Am not a fan of three center-backs .Not unless its played week in week out,and with fullbacks that are also as good at playing on the wing as they are at full back..Switching occasionally to a five after playing mostly as a four, rarely works.

Sounded like we needed more width yesterday.Before the game i favoured a 4-2-4 with Bobby and Harry up top with Corey and Tyler wide..Stanley and Doyle as the two midfielders.With Hayden-smith coming on as an impact sub in the last 30 mins.

I'm sure bradley would have learned a lot yesterday,and i still confident the team will continue to improve and prosper under his leadership.

It may be a coincidence but we switched to the three centre backs at Hitchin when Mickey Parcell came in for Jordan Lockie and have stayed with the system since. To my mind Parcell has looked a bit shaky when used in a back four. Could that be the reason for the change? I guess we'll know when Lockie is fit again.

The way that I saw it was that, whilst we played a better team than us, we were always in the game. Referees are there to make important decisions and can make mistakes, so I can forgive him the mistake of not awarding Corey's penalty, albeit not the yellow card. However, the elbow on Ottaway, no chance it was Stonewall. When you get a penalty appeal turned down, the ref tends to be more lenient with subsequent appeals.

Unfortunately not for us, this bloke was gash and it did cross my mind that did somebody grease his palm ?

Having now seen Muzz's footage, it reinforces both Penalty appeals and they were both nailed on ! I hope the club uses the footage to get the FA to rescind the yellow card that was shown to Corey and I hope that the referee sees it to convince him that he is nowhere near good enough to officiate at this level ! He's just lost us 17 grand and a game in the first round !

Having now seen Muzz's footage, it reinforces both Penalty appeals and they were both nailed on ! I hope the club uses the footage to get the FA to rescind the yellow card that was shown to Corey and I hope that the referee sees it to convince him that he is nowhere near good enough to officiate at this level ! He's just lost us 17 grand and a game in the first round !

Cautions only get rescinded for mistaken identity which it certainly wasn't.

If mistaken identity is proved, the caution is not rescinded, it's transferred to the player who committed the actual offence.

Exactly and as no other player could possibly be mistaken in this instance the caution will stand. It's a rare occurrence in the first place.