Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ash Trees 2 Athletic 1

Swifty

A very low key victory. Although rarely needing to get out of third gear, we scraped home against a team from a lower division who'd lost their away Division One matches thus far by an average of four goals a game.

Several decent first half efforts and moves went begging, due in no small part to Epsom Athletic keeper Jason McGregor who had a solid game. Alex's rasping shot high into the net from a tight looking angle four minutes before half time was hoped / expected to open the floodgates but, despite only having a couple of chances in the first half, Athletic nearly caught us out.

Scott Elgar scored direct from a corner in the 64th minute, and that turned out to be one of the few efforts we managed on target after the break, more often than not hitting the ball over the bar or slicing it wide. Carl Thomas showed us how it should be done in the 70th minute and, for all our possession, we never really looked like adding to the tally.

The general consensus on the terraces was that, if we're that profligate in a league match, we'll probably suffer the consequences. Sorry to sound negative - at least we won and, like Raynes Park Vale on Saturday, it was a good, clean game, and credit should go to Athletic who never gave up.

hi I just want to say each topic receives nearly 450 views , some of our rivals will read it also some of our own players , I think its important to be positive especially when we win , we have a young team who do need protecting and encouraged , from the sidelines and on this forum we have to understand they are just players and its there right to ply their trade where ever they see fit football is a fickle business ! I have seen enough quality in our team to know id rather any of our players playing for ashford rather than lining up against us it doesn't matter whether we are playing the team 1 league below us or in our division there are no easy games every one will be a  battle that's for sure think we have been unlucky with injurys but we support ben and the boys win loose or draw

I did actually apologise in my post, as well as giving credit to The Stallions for not giving up and complimenting the teams on a good, clean game. I'd much prefer to see nice passing moves than a 'clog fest'. No-one had a bad game as such last night, it was just one of those results. I was quietly impressed with young Harry, who I did choose as MOTM last night.

I realise people want to protect the players, that's understandable, but I can only say what I saw and give my opinion, and sometimes what you see on here's a second or third draft that's been amended quite a bit. I try not to get 'too high' or 'too low' with my prose, but that isn't always easy, gut reactions and all that.

I won't be around on Saturday (attending a wedding) or the following Saturday (my other team are in the final qualifying round of the FA Cup). I might go next Tuesday, now not so sure. Whether I post on here in future, or at least as much, is up in the air.

On a real negative I think I witnessed one of the worst displays ever from an assistant referee.He was never within 10 yards of where he should have been,flagged offsides that were clearly not and first half allowed us to play on when we were clearly yards offside.Absolute shocker.

While I agree with Ashford Follower that things on here are read by players and oppo's and we need to be mindful of the things we say for the benifit of the team. I don't really see anything wrong with Swiftys post, it's hardly a scathing attack!

The fact is our team are playing with the big boys now and should be able to take a bit of constructive criticism. We can't just be happy clappy all the time. However, I think it best that we don't single players out for a slating and not get too down on them when they don't win a game. We don't have a Devine right to win every game.

Last night was a classic cup match where the "bigger" team find it hard to play at the top of their game for the full 90 and the " smaller" team raise their game and really give it a go. Liverpool know all about that v Wimbledon!

I thought we controlled the game and won without needing to play at our best.

I think Swiftys comment about the terrace talk is correct that we might come unstuck if we played like that against a stronger opposition. That's fair comment!

We made lots of changes, had players coming back from injury and played a 16 year old in his first start for the club. Our performance was a bit disjointed as a result.

It would have been nice to see a goal fest but a very hard working and determined Epsom Athletic put paid to that. They sould take a lot of credit for their performance!

My man of the match was Fish, but I can see how young Harry won it with his performance! Well Done H!

We have had this debate about the forum for years, nothing changes. Personally I don't thing age comes into it, if you are good enough to be selected, you are old enough to be criticised or praised depending upon the performance. Most of the posts on here are positive but every now and then the team has a below par performance which will be reflected on here. What's the problem?

We pay our money to get in and football is about opinions all I’m saying is that they are not professionals and play for our club, the posts to seem to be negative a little this season rather than positive even when we win , age is no barrier but I’d soon complain if ben has to field a team of 16 -18 year olds because we failed as supporters not to encourage our players and keep positive E.g. comment about playing for second place probably doesn't put a good feel in the changing room when the season has only just begun and there are plenty of games left. As fatboyatmtfc said I think we should be mindful, not saying swifty’s post was scathing , let’s encourage and get behind the boys and be the 12th man!

There is no point posting a match report unless you post is as you see it... I wasn't at the game so would rather read an accurate account than hearing how marvellous we played when we didn't  :confused:

I am sure the lads are big enough and ugly enough not to need wrapping in cotton wool via the fans on the forum.....

Definitely ugly enough!   :lol:

I was one of those who thought the 'playing for second place' comments were a bit too early. Hartley Wintney may encounter problems with the fixture pile-up and subsequent injuries after their Cup run and, while this league is way, way tougher than when we were last in it and there are a number of clubs in the promotion frame, I don't see any reason why we can't have a good crack at winning the title.

One thing you'll notice about my encouragement from the terraces - if someone does something wrong I never mention the player's name and I make a general collective comment, but when a player does something right I always try to name them.

You never know, one or two of our lads may have seen the initial post and taken it as a 'gee-up' for next time, which is how I would prefer it to be taken. Mind you, some might be thinking "Cheeky b#####d, we'll show him!"   :D

Having read the above posts, I am SO glad we still have free speech in this country.

Officials will always be criticised.

Players will always be criticised.

Spectators and fans will always be criticised.

God forbid when doing so ever becomes a Capital Offence.

Oh Sorry !  -  I almost forgot.

Club Officials will always be criticised.

League Officials will always be criticised.

County F.A. Officials will always be criticised.

The National F.A. will always be criticised, and I won't even start on F.I.F.A and the like.

I apologise Lazarus, but that's the way life is, so thank God for free-speech.

Archived