Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ash Trees 4 Lobsters 1

Swifty

First off, well done to everyone concerned. A beautiful and perfectly playing pitch (great work, Liam), both teams playing entertaining football in what must have been trying conditions, five excellent goals (even the penalty) and well officiated by the trio in charge, my only gripe being a Redhill player not being booked for a clattering obstruction on Josh near the Lobsters' area.

The game was a slow burner to begin with, Redhill belying their league position and bringing out a couple of stretching saves from Tyler. Weighty's 20 yard thunderbolt in the 26th minute brought the game to life, and Bradley's lovely curling goal from the same distance gave us the edge, but we let Redhill back into it with needless shirt-pulling in the area resulting in a 36th minute penalty lashed into the top corner by Fiachra McArdle.

Any nerves we had were settled 37 seconds into the second half, when Beads hit an unstoppable effort into the same top corner as the penalty but from outside the box and, apart from a free kick, I can't remember Redhill having a shot of note in the second half. They plugged away and still looked above their status, but we dominated after the break and we probably deserved more than Alex's smooth finish for 4-1 in the 63rd. Great to see the lads imposing themselves and all put in a real shift, with Josh shading it as my man of the match.

A couple of quick points.

The teams' play probably deserved a bit higher praise than I gave originally.

I meant to congratulate the ref on letting the game flow. Certainly not whistle-happy like a few we've seen.

Apologies to Redhill's Flachra McArdle for mis-spelling his name earlier.

Finally, we seem to have swapped Russ for a better but similar looking player. Either that, or Russ needs to keep that bushy 'tache as it seems to improve his game!   :D

A good report Swifty and fair,I noticed Ashford's more mature and seasoned players both had excellent games with Russ putting in an outstanding display in defence and Weighty showing the younger midfielder's how play in that position with his tough tackling,passing,and scoring a 20yd screamer,and when he was subbed in the 2nd half the midfield was not as effective.

Difficult to choose my man of the match,but on reflection,for his excellant performance and making light of his years I must opt for Russ Canderton.

Bugger! I'd got Mr. McArdle's name correct originally after all - our programme mis-spelt it and that's why I thought I'd got it wrong! For the record....

FIACHRA - 

Derived from Gaelic fiach meaning "raven". In Irish legend Fiachra was one of the four children of Lir transformed into swans for a period of 900 years. This is also the name of the patron saint of gardeners, a 7th-century Irish abbot who settled in France.

On a sad note, I see Wellingborough Town (who we beat in the FA Cup this season) have suffered an arson attack on the clubhouse they share with AFC Rushden and Diamonds. Wellingborough Town were a friendly bunch – hope they get back on an even keel soon. 

Archived