Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ash Trees 3 Brook 2

Swifty

How much is the DVD of that game?

In all seriousness, a less than top quality game through no fault of either side, both teams having to defend and somehow try and break away for one half into a corner flag bending wind towards the Tank End. Best quality of the night was the pitch, which was in superb condition - big praise to Liam Balmer.

We managed a sum total of one shot playing into the tempest and were probably happy to go in just the one down, though poor defending led to Sam Saydee's slightly deflected but well struck opener in the 9th minute. Both teams tried hard, but to no avail due to the gale.

It was noticeable that AFC Hayes managed quite a few shots into the wind in the second half, despite our domination due to the conditions. The policy should have been shoot on sight with the second half advantage, but we tried to be too intricate too often until Bitz made his return with a thumper on the hour mark. Unfortunately, our recent practice of needlessly poncing about with the ball on and across the edge of our area gifted Brook the lead again ten minutes later, scored at the third attempt by Brad Hand.

Unfortunately for him, Brad had a hand in his own downfall, receiving a straight red in the 81st minute, I assume comprising of separate yellows for the simulation to try and win a penalty in a one-on-one and for hands above Tyler's chest in the 'handbags' between the pair that followed. Ashford finally took the game by the scruff of the neck and Max Webb emphatically equalised in the 84th minute. Most of us were getting ready for a sneaky Bovril before extra time, though, when Bitz lashed the ball low into the far corner in the 90th minute for the winner.

Brook won't be pleased at effectively throwing the game away and, despite the obvious problems caused by the weather, certain aspects of our game could do with a bit of fine tuning. We definitely need to clear the ball from our danger area more quickly, and we probably needed a 'presence' in midfield like Weighty or even Big George to get more of a grip on proceedings but, when all's said and done, we're in the next round.

Now to get warm!

I was remiss in forgetting to praise Steve Honey as well for the immaculate pitch last night. Well done, sir!

Going off topic, is it just me, or does anyone else think AFC Hayes should change their name? Just about everyone remembers them as, or refers to them by, their old moniker, part of which makes up their nickname. Surely they should 'rebrand' as Brook House Hayes?

Ashford Town 3 AFC Hayes 2

My first visit to the club in a couple of years and i enjoyed it Ashford played the better football and had more chances to score and they deserved the win against a struggling Hayes team whos best players for me were J.Berry and S.McDonnell. Ashford look like a team that can score goals from all over the pitch and if they can keep this bunch of players together untill the end of this season the only way is up for them i think. I thought A.Fisher looked very good in the first half for Ashford and M.Bitmead, M.Webb and S.Kazi all played well. Ashford are a much better team than when i last saw them play a couple of years ago. Ben Murray has put together a good squad of players.

Also i have to say that Ashford Towns pitch is the best i have ever seen it a superb playing surface not a puddle or a bit of mud in sight. Well done Ashford Town FC on all fronts. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived