Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Saturday 23rd January Match Thread

Clementine - I'm not of your opinion that refs do like to postpone games. On the contrary, same as players and club officials, we'd like them on too!

I quite agree Gluck, but I am still pretty sure that referee's, rightly or wrongly, are influenced by possible H & S concerns.  I would be interested to hear from any refs on this forum if they are 'instructed' by their peers on this matter.

Again, rightly or wrongly. we now live in a world of 'litigation' and 'ambulance chasing'.

As an 'oldie'. I know only too well that in the old days of Brylcream and baggy shorts, we played in flood, snow, ice and bomb craters.  Times have changed.  For better or worse ?  I know not !!

Edited by Big J R

I'm as optimistic as the next man, Alan ! It's just that this weather just seems to be relentless !

I also feel so sorry for clubs ground-staff.

Spent all afternoon forking away the lying water on the Shocking pitch & by the time I had left it had all gone. Yes it's not in the best off conditions but the Shocking pitch should be playable if the weathermen are right & we have a dry night & day tomorrow

I quite agree Gluck, but I am still pretty sure that referee's, rightly or wrongly, are influenced by possible H & S concerns. I would be interested to hear from any refs on this forum if they are 'instructed' by their peers on this matter.

Again, rightly or wrongly. we now live in a world of 'litigation' and 'ambulance chasing'.

As an 'oldie'. I know only too well that in the old days of Brylcream and baggy shorts, we played in flood, snow, ice and bomb craters. Times have changed. For better or worse ? I know not !!

I posted this recently in a separate thread titled 'Postponements':

" I can't speak for referrees at Supply League (CCL) but those of us at Contributory League (Isthmian / Southen Leagues) are advised by the FA to, in effect, let the clubs make the decision to play or not for us. By that I mean the following: if both clubs are happy to play, play; if one club is not happy to play, then don't play; and, if neither team is happy to play, then don't play. Clearly, best practice would be for a pitch inspection to be done in consultation (i.e. in the presence of officials from both teams) but that is not always practicable and an early pitch inspection is often required. In those cases the decision is the referee's to make himself based on a range of factors such as the existing condition of the pitch, groundsman's advice and prevailing weather factors. Personally, if I have any doubt I would err on the side of caution."

I'd add to that quote that adverse conditions may affect the players, officials and spectators and certainly a referee would be naive not to consider these at least those for whom he has some responsibility at the level he officiates at.

I would be very very surprised if a club hosting a match would ever want a match to be postponed. 

I've seen first hand how a club struggles financially when home games are postponed and a club ends up playing 3-4 matches away from home. 

After all, the players will still want paying for the away matches, the rent, water rates, gas, electric, cleaners etc etc etc still need to be paid. How do you pay these people without a steady income from the gate money??

I quite agree Gluck, but I am still pretty sure that referee's, rightly or wrongly, are influenced by possible H & S concerns.  I would be interested to hear from any refs on this forum if they are 'instructed' by their peers on this matter.

As an 'oldie'. I know only too well that in the old days of Brylcream and baggy shorts, we played in flood, snow, ice and bomb craters.  Times have changed.  For better or worse ?  I know not !!

Sorry this is just not true.  Again show me the last report of someone suing a referee for playing a game.  In the end a player can make their own mind up to play or not to play.

I found during my tenure that it was actually groundsmen who were the keenest to call games off.  Some I pleased and others I didn't :)  I would always make my own judgement and would explain it to the home club officials, away club officials if they were there and the match referee if doing a 3rd party inspection.  Sometimes people agreed and sometimes they didn't however that would have been the same with my decisions if I played the game or not :)  Possibly the best one ever was a few years ago when a pitch had 3 inches of snow on it.  I spoke with the match referee and he took some convincing that it was unplayable and that he should come down and make the decision !

As at 11.40 I have not been officially advised of any postponements but am aware of two.  Will update in an hour or so.

Prem

Redhill  v  Badshot Lea

Div One

Sandhurst  v  Farleigh Rovers

Nothing else advised as at 1.00 pm

Edited by lazarus

Colliers Wood  1 - 2 Camberley.

Nuur: 43 mins.

Now H/T

Edited by Big J R