Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

EU Referendum

Well Brexit seems a bit up in the air then after the court ruling yesterday and possible blocking tactics from the House of Lords to follow.

The latest polls also suggest that if a referendum was held now that Brexit would lose (because of the so-called "Bregreters")

I think we've had the vote and should continue even though I was strongly opposed to leaving the EU. I do feel however that the Tory right shouldn't try and bulldoze a hard Brexit through now, there's surely no mandate for that. Keeping in the single European market is vital to the future of this country in my opinion. 

52% to 48% to leave ??

If there is a 'U' turn now, this country will head for some form of civil 'war' !!

We seem to be getting very near to the theory, that..............

"Britain is a democracy but if the Government and judiciary don't like what the people democratically vote for, then overide it and turn this country into a dictatorship."

Idi Amin, Saddam Hussein and Adolf Hitler are alive and well and living in the Palace of Westminster.

:bolt:

We seem to be getting very near to the theory, that..............

"Britain is a democracy but if the Government and judiciary don't like what the people democratically vote for, then overide it and turn this country into a dictatorship."

Idi Amin, Saddam Hussein and Adolf Hitler are alive and well and living in the Palace of Westminster.

:bolt:

I doubt if UKIP would be happy with Hitler at the helm as he would be too left wing for them. He would probably be OK in the Tory Party though.

There's a number of issues here, firstly the lies and xenophobia that the likes of Farage (and Boris for that matter) have spread in order to get a small majority in the referendum (a majority that has been wiped out if the latest opinion polls are to be believed). Blame all the countries' woes on a single group of individuals, sounds like someone in Germany in the 1930's???

Having said that, we live in a democracy, we voted to leave the EU and I have to go with the majority on that one despite my personal feelings on the matter.

There is no mandate to leave the single European market though, there was no referendum on that and it should be debated and voted on in the house of Commons.

I think that when it becomes obvious in a few years time that being out of the EU isn't helping the UK financially , we can't get improved trade deals with other counties, investment in the UK isn't the same as it was and with cities like Frankfurt chipping away at London's position as the key financial centre of Europe then I think that we may see another referendum and hopefully with Cameron and Osborne et al. out of the way the rejoin campaign will have a better chance. Think that Germany may need to stop being so intransigent on the issue of free movement of workers though, that's the key factor that got us out of Europe and without that, Farage has very little ammunition.

I've said it once before, and I'll say it again......

DEMOCRATICALLY, 52 - 48 % in the UK voted to leave, and that's it.

The next interesting General Election is in France where it is 'rumoured' that Jean-Marie Le Pen could well take power.  She is more right wing than Farage and would certainly get a vote to leave the EU.

Italy also faces the same sort of reaction in the very near future

That would spell the end of the 'Union' as we know it.

Q.E.D.

Edited by Big J R

I'm not making predictions anymore, I was wrong with the EU Referendum and I didn't realise just how unpopular Clinton was or how much of a snake Paul Ryan was.

With regards to Brexit, the vote was close but clear. We need to leave the EU. Article 50 will be triggered in March and away we go.

We didn't vote on the single European market though, the government has no mandate from the public for that and from a financial perspective there are massive benefits of staying in that. If this government wants to leave the single European Market they should put another referendum out there. They won't do that because they'll lose that one.

France is getting interesting now that Sarkozy has 'gone' in the first round !!

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/nov/22/nicolas-sarkozy-french-liberals-francois-fillon-thatcherite

Edited by Big J R