Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ash Trees 3 Cove 1

Swifty

A deserved win, but not convincing.

I feel we tried to do an Arsenal and walk the ball into the goal too often, when a dig from outside the box every now and again might have paid more dividends.

Clinical finishing by Dan for yet another hat-trick. The first in the 26th minute was supposed to settle our nerves, the second in the 51st was well celebrated after sour events beforehand, and the third in the 82nd was a much needed game settler.

Cove were poor yet, for the second Saturday in a row, we needlessly lost the ball thirty yards from goal and gifted a score to the 'oppo', on this occasion well taken by Karle Kakder in the 31st for the equaliser, and a brilliant goal-line tackle by Sammy ten minutes from time stopped an undeserved equaliser before Dan's third secured the points.

Out of interest, why did we start the game at 3.05 and the second half at 4.11? Absolutely ridiculous. I also thought the ref was very poor - he looked like one of those ineffective 'fast track' refs who haven't learnt the ropes.

On the whole they were okay but, if they don't do the decent thing and sack him, I hope Cove get relegated twice and out of this league due to the actions of one player, who waited till most people weren't looking and apparently spat at one of our players twice, once when play was 60 yards upfield, and once off the pitch on the way to the changing rooms at half time. I'll admit I didn't see either offence, but I know a number of people who did and heard / saw the repercussions. I realise on the first occasion none of the officials saw the offence, but I understand one of the officials was close to the second offence and did nothing. If that's true, and you're reading this, either grow some balls or retire. 

Dan probably won man of the match for his hat-trick, but I thought Josh was immense, defending superbly and marauding forward and terrorising Cove's defence. An excelent re-signing by the club.

Now for the semi-final at Enfield Town. Remember Merstham last season? We don't want a repeat. Give everything for the whole game and fear nothing, Have it!

A much improved performance by Ashford when you compare it to last weeks pitiful effort.

Cove defended and tried to hit Ashford on the break,a tactic Ashford are well used to when the opposition come visiting and on the whole the defence kept Cove at bay.

An excellent left foot cross by Alex Fisher put the ball onto Dan Flemming's head to give him his first of the hat-trick.

Josh Andrews fantastic weaving run and pass put the ball on a plate for Dan and he made no mistake for his second of the hat-trick.I think it was Alex Fisher who put Dan in for his third and so completing his hat-trick.Watch and learn those who seek his spot and do not wonder why you are sat on the bench.

Yet again I could hear Scott Weight driving the team on and putting in the bone crunching tackles.

For me I could not choose between Scot or Dan for man of the match,so I give it to both.

I can't remember the players name,the defender who came to us from Chertsey,how is he doing?

We played very well yesterday and deserved to win by a more handsome margin. We passed and moved the ball well, our full backs were more involved with Alex producing some fine crosses from the left in the first half and Josh producing a fantastic mazy run to set up Dan for Goal 2. When in this form there can't be a better striker in the league than Dan Fleming, all three of his goals were top class.

The referee was of the " laid back" variety, the players weren't even out of the changing rooms at 3.00 and as Ed has said in his post the second half was also late starting.  However  he did use common sense in not producing a card every time there was a foul and allowing the teams to sort out amongst themselves the " argy bargy" at half time. At this level the last thing teams need are more yellow and red cards with the fines and suspensions that follow.

Some people won't like the fact that we "only" beat the bottom team 3-1. Anyone with an ounce of football knowledge will realise that this is not the same Cove team that people have been thumping sevens and eights. In fact they only have two players left that started the season. Apparently, alot of Bedfont and Felthams team have joined them, following the BandF sacked manager, who is on the staff. They will start picking up points.

We played well yesterday, not brilliantly but well, our striker scored the perfect hat trick, and we could have hit double figures with the chances created. One of their players said that some of our passing football was the best that they have faced all season and hopes we go on to win the league, because we try and play the right way. I really don't know what our own people expect.

I suggest people look at the table and see that we are very much still in this title race. We have to face Camberley and Hartley at our place and they are still to play each other. Anything can happen!

Some of the comments I heard yesterday on the terraces had me thinking if people really had the bottle to support this team through thick and thin. I can't understand the mentality that people think we have a Devine right to be top of the table? Why should we be automatic favourites to go up in some people's eyes.? It's certainly not the gate money we take!

So, if you have the bottle then show it by supporting the team and management and be an asset from the terraces, not the moan and groan mob that we seem to be at the moment.

BTW this is not aimed at anyone in particular and certainly not anyone that has posted on this thread.

Personally speaking, I think we have a team good enough to be in the middle third of the Southern League Central Division. The problem is, we're in a division where there are at least two and, on current form, maybe four sides who could be in similar if not higher positions in the same division. It was always going to be very difficult getting back out of this league and I've never been under any illusions - I remember saying before last season it could take up to five years bearing in mind the calibre of teams near the top.

You have to admire Hartley Wintney and Camberley Town, who have not only had superb league seasons but have kept it going while having admirably long runs in the FA Vase. By the way, commiserations to Camberley for losing at Hereford in the last minute of extra time. It's looking more like a Hereford v. Salisbury final, which I don't want. Firstly, they're both phoenix clubs from big sides (thus taking some of the romance out of the competition for me) and secondly, that ar$ehole Claridge is at Salisbury.

Cove certainly made it difficult for us and kept going. In that respect, they gave us a good test. One thing that's been mentioned to me, and this is true, is that our lads aren't being muscled off the ball or 'frightened' by experience old heads in opposition teams, which happened several times last season.

Archived