Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Vale 3 Ash Trees 2

Swifty

I could be rude about certain obvious aspects of Raynes Park Vale, but the home folk I encountered were friendly and, in any case, people would say I was just being bitter. The hard fact is that we came away with nothing because, despite playing some lovely football in patches, our defence cost us the game. Shocking lapses cost us all three goals and all three points.

Vale were a direct, robust, route one side with a keeper who pumped huge kicks down the pitch, especially down that slope in the first half. Despite starting well we didn't acclimatise quickly enough to the dangers, and an all too easy defence splitting pass saw their number 10 wrongfoot Tyler and slot the ball home in the 11th minute. Four minutes later a quick throw-in by Dan and a lovely cross by Weighty saw Bitz slot the ball home from ten yards out for 1-1. Bitz returned the favour for Dan to head us into the lead in the 27th, and things looked promising. Seven minutes before half time we switched off and appeared to concede direct from a corner kick by the number 11. Annoying, but no matter. Playing well, level at the break, with the slope in our favour in the second half. Surely we can kick on and win. 

Wrong. Vale started the second half the stronger, we failed to gel as well after the break and played worse down the slope, even though we brought out a trio of fine low saves from the Vale keeper near his posts. We thought we had a penalty after 55 minutes but, after consulting with a lino, the ref (who turned up at 7.25 and was probably the cause for a 7.50 kick-off) changed his decision to an offside. Then, just after the hour, yet another long punt by the keeper bounced embarrassingly through our defence and the number 8 lobbed Tyler for the eventual winner. Vale's 'pub team' side raised its head seven minutes from time when a two-player disagreement became a fracas and their number 11 got sent off for hitting Jack. Ben then got sent from the dugout for whatever reason. Even with the extra man, we couldn't break down the mass defence and came away with nothing.

Going forward, we were fine. In midfield, we were okay (Weighty and Max being our best players in my opinion). If I was manager, I know what I'd be concentrating on for most of the next training session.

I didn't go to the match last night because of work, but I did see Ashford play Raynes Park last season at Raynes Park ground, and to be honest I don't understand how they are allowed to play football on such steep slope, and the condition of the ground made Ashford ground look like Wembley.

I fully understand money and getting volunteers to help improve grounds, as my late father was heavily involved with local team in 1960 to late 1970's and they had a ground which had a slope but was 80% less than Raynes Park slope, and they got kicked out off a league because of it and also denied promotion on several occasion.  I know times have changed but Raynes Park ground is dreadful 

Absolutely gutted, at this time of the season every game is a " must win" match and although the season may throw up some surprise scores, we simply had to get three points at Raynes Park to stand a chance of winning the league.

Similar to last year, we weren't able to cope with Raynes Park's quick counter-attacking style, even when we were 2-1 up we looked very vulnerable at the back. We played a high line which is very dangerous against a team that plays a direct game.

Just like Eddie, I thought we would re-group at half time and go on to win the game, but it was not to be, it is not very often that Tommy gets subbed when we are losing- a sure sign that we were struggling with our passing game.

It is a bit disrespectful to criticise Raynes Park, their pitch is what it is, in order to win a league you have to adapt to different conditions  and other teams have been there and won this year.

"It is a bit disrespectful to criticise Raynes Park, their pitch is what it is, in order to win a league you have to adapt to different conditions  and other teams have been there and won this year."

I wasn't trying to be disrespectful, I was just expressing an opinion on a football ground.

I have visited many non league football grounds over many years (within Sussex, Kent, Hampshire )  and to be honest I was shocked upon seeing Raynes Park,  also regarding your comment about other teams winning there, well I would be very concerned if Raynes park did win all  home games ?

My fault for the first line of my initial post. As someone else said at the game, you wouldn't have expected HW or Camberley to gift so many easy goals in one match, and that partly coloured my judgement. It's up to the team now to ram any criticism down our throats and get as many points on the board in the hope we put ourselves in the promotion frame.

we did concede 3 very poor goals .but where has our free flowing football gone ? I'm a firm believer in players enjoying their football our players do not look happy ! we came close last season and have fallen short this campaign if we loose 3 or 4 players at the end of this season it will be impossible to get even this close next campaign this is such a hard league to get out of .

It seems to be since George Marks and Lewis Taylor have gone our defence seems to be in pieces. With Georges long work commitments not being able to commit along with Lewis' injury we have not replaced them and this has cost our season. With it rumoured that Lewis is not returning to the RPS it questions what Ben is going to do. Keep Samad centre back? He has done a great job but is far more effective further up the pitch. You can't go to teams like RP and expect to come away with a win without centre backs.

Archived