Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

AFC Sudbury v Enfield Town

littlehampton

After an impressive 3-0 win against Kingstonian on Tuesday evening, Town hit the road again on Saturday, travelling up to Suffolk to face newly promoted AFC Sudbury at the Wardale Williams Stadium.

It seems quite a while since we last played AFC in the league. In fact it is just four seasons ago in Ryman North, the year we won promotion to the Ryman Premier Division. That season we won 1-2 at Sudbury, and drew 3-3 in the return fixture at the QE2.

Last season was an undoubted success for AFC. They were never out of the top six in Ryman North, and to their credit they won the Championship early in April 2016, and secured promotion to the Ryman Premier Division for the first time in their history.

AFC installed a 3G pitch last year, and are so far unbeaten this season after four matches. They are currently 5th in the table, after two home draws, and two away wins. A close match is in prospect, but after our excellent result against Kingstonian on Tuesday evening, Town will travel up to Suffolk in confident mood on Saturday, looking to add to their points tally.

Good luck everyone. Would really love to see this match, but depart on Saturday for a two-week holiday in Canada and the United States. It's got to be done! Give them a shout for me.

'COME ON YOU TOWN'

Local Travel Tip.  Be aware that because of two major roadworks and last years major fire in the town centre that Sudbury town centre is frequently gridlocked during the week and almost impossible on Saturdays. The usual route via A120 to Braintree and on through Halstead will deposit you at the traffic lights at the foot of Ballingdon Hill outside Sudbury.  Turn left at lights and ground is signed on 1st turning to right.

I saw the Sudbury v Dulwich match and AFC scored in 1.minute 59 seconds, and it took Dulwich some time to get control. After half time, AFC attacked fiercely and soon equalised the score at 2-2.  Dulwich gradually took control again but frequent crosses from the right wing to the far post were met with firm headers from a packed Sudbury defence. Apart from a few isolated left wing runs by AFC Dulwich saw the game out.

Hope this useful to some one.

Perce53

Enfield ExPat

First half we were pretty poor to be fair. A free header fom a corner for the first and a well taken shot from just outside the box sent us in two nil down at half time. Second half started with Kartita on for Collins who had been completely anonymous and Ricky Gabriel on for Ujah who had been booked in the first half. Second half we were far better and the substitutions worked a treat with Immed involved in everything, hes a very decent player and should be starting more regularly for me. A combination of good saves by their keeper and terrible decisions from the referee, conspired against us getting a foothold back in the game. To be fair the ref should have blown for full time at the end of the first 45 as he was never going to allow us to get back into that game. Sudbury were a good team and if they continue in the same vein for the rest of the season then they should be in the Playoff shake up. Very nice ground to boot !

Frustrating is the best assessment I've got.

Long drive, pub I'd intended to watch the Liverpool game in had closed down, don't like artificial pitches, poor performance from the Town, stuck in traffic on the way home!

The positive aspect is that we were much better in the second half and probably deserved something from the game. We're not far short but football's about goals and we've not got too many in this squad. Had seen that Bobby Devyne had been released on loan by Welling and was really hoping to see him on the pitch yesterday - strange because at times Bobby couldn't get in the team last year but that was before the loss of Corey. Watched Corey's cameo half hour for Dagenham & Redbridge later on - the commentators were wowed, Brad and the management team should be really proud of the player they developed Corey into. just a pity the Town gets nothing tangible for it....

We move on - Brad will develop some more talent, we all know what a good player Tyler can be and I hope that he can add some more goals to his game in the same way that Corey did in his time with us. The players are working hard  and I hope it will come together soon, we really need some points. Don't think though that we've yet played a top side - Dulwich lost at home again yesterday. 

Monday will be another tough game - get behind the lads as they search for a way to put things right.

I can understand every ones disappointment. Just think what it's like sitting at
home awaiting for scores and comments during the match.

That said I have been putting my idle moments to some use. Based on the
information I have obtained I have looked at our early
results since being in the top division.

It is interesting to note, that in those years the most points we accumulated , from our first six games in any one year, amounted to  only 8 points.  In fact in the past two seasons, our most successful ones, in the same period we attained only 4 and 3 points respectively. Including this year we have never won any of our first 3 away game.

BUT,  a win tomorrow will equal our second highest number of points tally.  To look on the bright side, in the past two years, in September and October things began to pick up.

Our improvement in these months also seem to coincide with acquiring a more potent attacking forward line.

Hopefully history will repeat itself

1st half was not great but we can take positives from the second half.

- Imed Kartitia was excellent, showing some good skills, and I would hope he starts next game

- Kirby was doing his best to gee everyone up `and gave his all

- Harry and Tyler were working hard as always, just didn't always work out  for them on the day (I would like to see Tyler playing wider than he has done in the last 2 games)

- We had the chances to get a point from the game, the keeper made a couple of excellent saves, we should have had a penalty when Ottaway was pulled down, etc., plus some bizarre refereeing decisions stopping our moves.

Whilst the day was frustrating overall, it was disappointing the players were not clapped at the end, and a few of the comments from the crowd were unecessary in my view.  I heard a few of the Sudbury fans comment on the large Enfield following before the game, so we should really use that to our advantage in being positively vocal for the whole game, whether it is going for us or not. (Maybe easier for me to say as I don't get to that many games)

A number of new players to blend in to the team and still early days. This was a far better performance than the first 2 away games last season I saw (Hendon and Canvey) which were frankly terrible to watch.

I am hopeful for this season so am making the effort to get to the grounds I haven't visited yet in the hope of promotion!

Still worried about lack of defensive cover, with Curtis subbed off in last 2 games .. Is Stan injured? Is there any chance Vilcu could rejoin us permanently? The Stortford forum is unclear why he left

Hopefully a vocal support today will help ensure we beat Harrow

Archived