Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Tommy Lawrence

littlehampton

Deeply saddened to hear that former Enfield FC player and manager Tommy Lawrence has passed away.

Everyone who knew Tommy, or watched him play for the E's at Southbury Road during the early 1960's, will have fond memories of him as a charismatic centre forward, who scored no less than 196 goals for the Club, an amazing record which still stands today.

His playing career was cut short when he fractured his skull playing for Great Britain in an Olympic Games qualifier. He subsequently went on to manage the E's during one of the most successful periods in the club's history.

A wonderful player and a great guy who will be greatly missed.

Absolutely right OT. It was in the 1959/60 season when we beat Hoddesdon 15-0 at Southbury Road.  In the previous round we beat Ware away 7-1 and Tommy scored 4 goals in that win. Eleven goals in two matches, what a goal feast from a very special player.

Condolences to his family and friends. My personal memory of Tommy was when he became manager of Slough Town and perhaps somewhat controversially brought a number of Enfield players with him. I believe  am correct in saying that "new" Enfield then took revenge by thumping Slough subsequently. This was in the days of the triumvirate of Enfield, Dagenham and Slough. 

As I was playing at the time, I did not see him at his peak when he first
joined the "Es", so I did not see him play regularly. However,I remember Tommy
Lawrence as was one of the fasted players I have seen at any level of soccer.
Hence is outstanding scoring record.

The team he got together in the in the mid sixties were one of the greats in none league football and were comparable with the 1980s team who in the None League Annual were regarded as the team of the 80s. 

RIP Tommy and thanks for you what you brought to the history of Enfield Football

I started watching Enfield because I heard at school about their 'Roy of the Rovers' centre forward called Tommy Lawrence. His playing and management record combined must make him the greatest ever servant of Enfield FC?  So sad to lose him and Tony Jennings within such a short space of time. Thanks for great times and wonderful memories watching your teams. 

I recall that I went to an away game when Tommy Lawrence was managing Enfield (after his accident had terminated his playing career). I think we were playing at St. Albans or Wycombe Wanderers in a mid week fixture. A number of the squad got delayed by traffic or a car break-down and kick off arrived with not enough players to put out a full eleven. Imagine our surprise when Tommy ran out with the team. Needless to say he didn't try to head the ball, but he was still more than useful. I am sure the team won that game but I cannot remember whether he played a full game or whether some of the delayed players came on. After nearly 50 years my recollection is somewhat sketchy but maybe someone with a better memory than me can fill in the gaps. I am sure this was a one-off and he never played again.

I do recall Tommy playing after his injury but cannot recall who against. It was not Dulwich as,

I recall, I had only been to Dulwich once before with Enfield and that was the play-off against Hendon.

Enfield went on to the the Alliance later and I believe Dulwich were relegated before we left the Isthmian.

I went to Wycombe more often both at Loakes Park and their new ground. Tommy would not have played at the

new ground.

I was at the match when Tommy Lawrence made his brief comeback. Don’t have records to hand but pretty certain it was a midweek evening match at Oxford City. He played on the left wing and obviously didn’t try to head the ball. Enfield were later rapped by FA because 1) he played against medical advice and 2) he was no longer an amateur having already done some paid coaching for EFC. No further action was taken but it was made clear that he shouldn’t play again and he never did.

A truly two footed player. I once saw him score two outstanding goals from outside the area in the same match; one left foot and one right. It was for England against Scotland at, I think, Selhurst Park. England lost 3-4. The match at Oxford wasn’t the only time he played on the wing. In his second or third season at EFC he went through a barren, for him, scoring spell and played on the left wing (David Hyde took over as centre forward) for a few matches where he was also very effective. He was naturally left footed but the only time that was apparent was when pulling the ball back from the byline whilst running at speed. He wasn’t bad in air either.

He was one of a number of very talented “amateurs” who could have definitely played at a higher level had he chosen to do so. Football economics were quite different then and for amateurs with a half decent job and prospects outside football there was no great incentive to turn pro. I know he upset a lot of fans when he decamped to Slough and took a lot of the team with him but as a player he was one of the all time EFC greats - perhaps their greatest player of all time - RIP Tommy

Archived