Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

THEY USED TO PLAY ON CHRISTMAS DAY

Dagger03

The last time that Hornchurch played a match on Christmas Day was in 1962.

F, Thu, 25-Dec-24, A, West Thurrock Albion, 7-2, Hutson L, Shuttleworth, La Roche, Whiting J, Hale, Roberts, Taylor E, Hutson F, Frizzell, Martin V, Martin L, scorers n/k

F, Sat, 25-Dec-26, A, Upminster Thursday, 1-1

F, Sat, 25-Dec-26, A, Upminster Thursday, 1-1

F, Sat, 25-Dec-37, H, Dagenham Cables, 3-3

F, Sat, 25-Dec-54, H, Aveley, 0-2, Brown, Wilkinson, Conner, Dobinson, Kent, Glover, Thornton, Phillips, Johnson, Hedges, Lunn

EAC 3, Thu, 25-Dec-58, A, Aveley, 3-2, aet, Bush, Williamson, Stittle, Davies, Lewell, North, Mann, Pateman 1, McKenzie, Lambourne 1, Daniels A 1

AL, Mon, 25-Dec-61, A, Grays Athletic, 0-5, Bush, Walsh, Grant, Booth, Lewell, Green, Abel, Terrell, McGeehan, Lewis, Barr

AL, Tue, 25-Dec-62, A, Grays Athletic, 3-3, Belchamber, Emerick, Harvey, Green, Scully, Hudson J, Shack, Chappell, Hudson T 3, Trott, Vardill

Interesting piece of history. I have been supporting Sough Town FC since 1958/59 and certainly in those days it was often Slough v Maidenhead in the Corinthian League with a fixture on Christmas Day and the return on Boxing Day (sometimes until they moved into the Southern League v Yiewisley) The Slough side as I recall in my increasing dotage was largely made up of young single guys and the Maidenhead side largely of married men. So it was joked that it was The Hangover v The Stuffed Bellies.  The Stuffied Bellies won for many years until 1967/68 (by which time the Christmas day fixture was probably discontinued) when Slough did a 4-0 double over the Christmas period on the way to their 1st Athenian League Premier Division championship. Happy if somewhat faded memories. Seasons greetings to everyone on The Forum.

YThe last known Christmas Day match in the Isthmian League was 25-Dec-1970 - Wealdstone v Hendon - result 1-1 

The last known Christmas Day match in Essex was in 1959 (Romford v Sudbury in the Eastern Counties League) - result 1-2

The last almost-Christmas Day match in Essex was (almost) 1968, when the Walthamstow v Leytonstone Isthmian League match was postponed three minutes before the kick off.

YThe last known Christmas Day match in the Isthmian League was 25-Dec-1970 - Wealdstone v Hendon - result 1-1 

The last known Christmas Day match in Essex was in 1959 (Romford v Sudbury in the Eastern Counties League) - result 1-2

The last almost-Christmas Day match in Essex was (almost) 1968, when the Walthamstow v Leytonstone Isthmian League match was postponed three minutes before the kick off.

It was Romford reserves actually, and Im pretty sure the first team played on Boxing Day, but cant remember who against. Something at the back of my mind tells me that one, or possibly two player played in both matches.

Alan - apologies but I got the wrong date for the Romford (Reserves) v Sudbury (first team) - it was played on 05-December-1979 and not the 25th. Lost 1-2 and the attendance was 1,481.

The last Romford Christmas Day match was in 1958 - they beat Ilford 2-1 in the Isthmian League (attendance 1220) - if you have the programme, please note that the date on the programme cover is wrong - it is dated 25-12-1959 but it was definitely 1958.

In 1959 Romford did not play on Christmas Day - the Southern League side played at Clacton on the 26th (lost 0-2)

On the same day the reserves played at home to Biggleswade in the ECL - result was 2-2 and attendance was 1,222.

Should you want all the results, contact me off list with your email address and I will send you a complete record of Romford's post war matches (first team all matches and reserves from the time they turned professional in 1959.

Very strange, I do seem to remember playing on two consecutive days in the Southern League, but at first thought it was probably over the Easter period. I went to the 58 Ilford game, and Im a little surprised at the low attendance. Its difficult to believe there was no public transport as not many people had cars in those days including players, so I wonder why there was such a small gate for a local derby.

Archived