Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Tonbridge Angels v Enfield Town

littlehampton

Dreadful weather conditions in many parts of the UK today.

Note that Tonbridge Angels Reserves and U18s matches, scheduled for this evening in the local area, have both been postponed due to frozen pitches.

With widespread freezing fog in the South East, and temperatures struggling to reach above freezing today, you do wonder what chance there is of tomorrow nights match going ahead, with forecasters predicting no immediate change, and difficult driving conditions everywhere.

Watch out for an announcement.

I will be keeping an eye on the forecast, however currently the met office are predicting temperatures of around 6 this afternoon and freezing conditions returning around 8:00pm. In those circumstances I don't think that the game will be off and I think I will be going.

Wingate game survived probably from the fact the sun could shine on the whole pitch all day whereas Tonbridge to have high stands which casts shadows over frozen areas all day. Harlow + Hendon are showing off the benefits of having 3G tonight whereas I wouldn't swap it for proper grass. Home game again on Saturday let's hope for another near on 600 Gate

Wingate game survived probably from the fact the sun could shine on the whole pitch all day whereas Tonbridge to have high stands which casts shadows over frozen areas all day. Harlow + Hendon are showing off the benefits of having 3G tonight whereas I wouldn't swap it for proper grass. Home game again on Saturday let's hope for another near on 600 Gate

EU last Saturday we attracted a good gate thanks to a half price admission offer, helped by Spurs playing away. This weekend Spurs are at home. Are we repeating the special offer? Probably not, so we will do very well to hit 600. Fingers crossed!

• 3 weeks later...

Tuesday 14th February 2017

Three months ago we played out a 1-1 draw with Tonbridge Angels at Donkey Lane. It was a tough, uncompromising encounter, and Town had to come back from behind, with a last minute equaliser, to secure a hard-earned share of the points.

Tomorrow (Tuesday) evening we travel over to Kent for our crucially important return fixture, against close promotion rivals Tonbridge, at the Longmead Stadium. This is a vital match for both teams, who are chasing a place in the National League South.

Our form has been patchy of late, but we have produced some excellent away performances this season, not least at Havant, Bognor, Wingate & Finchley, and Harrow Borough, and Town will need to be at their best against Tonbridge to get something from this match.

Best of luck everyone. Let's hope Brad and the boys bounce straight back after Saturday, with a top quality high-energy performance. Go for it guys!

'COME ON YOU TOWN'

Kirbs had a prior engagement apparently and didnt it show with chaos at every corner and long throw we faced...our play in the last third was woeful with wrong passes and decisions time and time again... some nice build up in the first half and unfortunate really to be behind but second half defensively we fell apart ...

Kirb;s absence did have a big impact last night. Tonbridge were quick, organized and strong and played to our weaknesses. Throughout the first 60 minutes their full backs and both CH 'hit the channels'. Kirbs would have soaked it up but we found it very hard to deal with. I thought Brad looked exposed and never knew when to go tight or when to stand off. Every Tonbridge throw in their half was long and 'down the line' and every throw in our defensive third was long and into the 6 yard box. All corners ( bar one when we were totally caught napping and they went short , resulting in the first goal!) were fired in with pace under the bar. It looked like we could concede at every set piece.They had a very simple plan and effected it very well. Absolutely no finesse about them ( until they scored an outstanding second goal). I thought until they scored we had the better of the first 15-20 mins but we were not direct enough in the final third> we were never going to create many chances and we did not take enough risks with Otts and Samir both hesitant when it was still 0 -0. We  kept playing to the end but ultimately were well beaten by a physically far superior, far more organized and far more results driven outfit.

As I have said recently being currently indisposed I have to rely on other peoples observations of the last few matches.

With the exception of the Wingate game all appear to suggest to me that rather

than reaching the pay-offs with this squad we should now concentrate on

consolidating our current position in the league. It is not inconceivable that

with our current form, if not corrected, we could slip into the lower reaches of the league.

Before you all call me defeatist etc, consider why we are in this position.

Lack of planning at the beginning of the season and the ridged adherence to a system of play which is so easy to overcome when playing the more organised

teams. I still feel that this system limits the abilities of some of our players

by not playing to their strengths. In the past two seasons we have thrived on

playing balls in front of our fast runners where as now we rely on knock downs,

for them to gather, leaving the opposing attack still in front of them.

To overcome this the Board and playing management should start planning for

next season now, so that we start ready with a team at least

capable to compete from the word go and not after 8 0r 9 games.

Also so that they can practice their style of play.

Sounds simple, but that is why you have management and coaches and of course a slice of luck over the season.

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

We finished last season as probably the best team in the league ... with only one notable absence we started this season with exact same squad... our start to the last two seasons have been totally unacceptable with pre season friendlys not being used as they should ( in preparations for the first game ) this falls down on one man and one man alone... let's hope that this experience pays off and we can be fully prepared for the start of next season instead of playing catch up....