Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Complimentary tickets?

Gravesindian

Any chance of some complimentary tickets for a coming home match?

I think it would be good because I also follow Guru Nanak FC, - their initials are GNFC also.

I think the club needs to be doing more to appeal to all the different ethnic groups in the town and not just the same old supporters. What do you think?

Quote:
Gravesindian said:
I think the club needs to be doing more to appeal to all the different ethnic groups in the town and not just the same old supporters. What do you think?

I thought that the attraction would be 'supporting your local football club'? After all, doesn't the world of football bring people from all walks of life together?

If they wanted to come so badly, they know where the ground is. Maybe I'm the only person who feels this way but why shouldn't 'the ethnic groups in the town' pay their way like the rest of us 'same old supporters'?

I have attended a handful of Gravesend matches in the past with my son, however I have found it very difficult to persuade other members of my community to attend for various reasons. One or two have watched a match with me last season, but didn’t seem to keen to attend anymore and were somewhat disillusioned by the lack of ethnic minorities in the ground, and therefore have stuck to watching the Guru’s only.

What I am saying is that unless the club is willing to go out of its way to attract specifically Asian supporters then you can’t expect them to suddenly start turning up, it hasn’t happened yet and certainly won’t happen without the club going out of it way to accommodate us.

I have to agree with all the replies. Anyone is welcome to come down, the more the merrier, but pay your own way!

Those "same old supporters" have been with this club through thick and thin; They are the supporters who were still turning up when attendance fell to around 700 a couple of months ago and a few of them are the "same old supporters" who travel all over the country to see the Fleet play away.

The club itself has done a couple of things already this season to try to bring in new supporters, such as half price entry for the ladies and kids getting in free and even getting a free hot dog or programme. To suggest that the club's not trying to attract new supporters is unfair and incorrect.

And sorry, but why should the Asian community get free tickets? if you wanna come down, come down. An exciting game and the warm fuzzy feeling of supporting your local team through thick and thin should be payment enough.

The other problem being where do we draw the line? We give out freebies to the Asian community, we should give them to our newly aquired European community that live in gravesend now. My friend is West Indian, I'm sure she'd love some free tickets to see our boys play their hearts out.

Actually, while we're at it. I'm a quarter french, so I should get me some freebies too! I'll have 10 please, I'll bring my mum, I think her great grandmother was from Essex or something, so she should get a free ticket too

GO FLEET!!!!!

I agree that people should pay their way, but surely if the club suddenly expect a couple of hundred members of the Asian community to turn up one afternoon and hand over their money then they might be being a slight bit unrealistic to say the least.

Like I have said, in the past I have attended matches but was generally disappointed with the lack of support from within my community and as a result don’t feel at home as when I am watching the Guru’s.

If the club are serious about showing that they care about the ethnic community and they really do want members of the Asian community at matches then they need to go out of their way to attract them. How about an ‘Ethnic Liaison Officer’ ? – someone who would be willing to give up a small amount of their time visiting various members of the different ethnic community and try to promote the club in a positive light, a few free tickets now may mean that they turn up regularly after that!

GNFC should not be thought of as a British or English club, but as a multi-cultural, multi-national club who just happen to be based in Gravesham but represent all aspects and nationality’s of the local community.

If you really want GNFC to be thought of as a "multi cultural, multi national" club, turn up each week and and bring along other members of your community. If they don't want to come they don't want to come, but I'm still at a loss to see why anyone should get free tickets, we need all the money we can get!!

Without intending to sound racist - isn't this person hinting that the asian community should get specific treatment because of their ethnic background? Why do certain people like to use their creed to their own advantage?

There's one of the many problems with this country.

Perhaps the club needs a 'Straight, White, Non-disabled, English Liason Officer' just to balance out the request for an Ethnic Liason Officer?

At the end of the day - you all know where the ground is. You turn up or you don't - the individual's choice.

Perhaps if the asian community stopped being armchair Man Utd fans they might turn up at Stonebridge Road a bit more.

Furthermore, if the asian community can find millions to fund the building of a new temple then they can afford to pay for entry to our games.

Actually, an ethnic liason officer isn't a bad idea. Charlton have a section of their "football in the community unit" specifically tailored to include ethnic minorities and its obviously worked for them. If you took up the post Gravesindian, you would get a free entry into the ground every week! Anyway, we are playing better football than the Gurus at the moment! You are right though, it would be nice to see a more diverse bunch of supporters that more accurately reflect the cultural background of the Town.

However, I believe that the club should be open to THE COMMUNITY, regardless of sex, colour, age or disability. What should be happening on a more regular basis is the issue of complimentaries to junior schools in the area, Dover, Cecil and Wrotham Road schools being particular examples of multi-racial schools which would be only to glad to have an involvement with its local team.

Similarly, if you get some of the players helping out with school activities, they become popular with the kids. Jacko was a great ambassador for the club and its amazing how many youngsters treat him with respect even now that he isn't with the club. The kids will want to watch their new "heros" play and will get their Mums and Dads to take them to a game.

Although I realise that a sizeable chunk of our squad are not exactly local, there are one or two that appear to be "in between" jobs, (Walshe and Drury for example?)that would fit the bill admireably. I'm sure it would also engender a sense of the community into the players as well, which surely isn't a bad thing?

You are probably right, Andy Y, when you say only one or two would be available to offer their support to this sort of activity - is always going to be a problem when the squad is part time, as the majority will be in other employment that prevents them from being around to visit local schools, etc.

Still, not a bad idea, and although I'm sure it has been considered previously, probably worthy of being considered again.

The ground is in the same place for every home game, the people at the turnstiles turn no-one away if they've got the right money, I don't see what the problem is.

It is absolutely right that the home fans should try to reflect the ethnic diversity of the local population so surely the only people who are holding back on fulfilling that ideal are the Asian community themselves.

The question i have is, let us suppose that the club did give out 200 complimentary tickets to the Asian community, is Gravesindian saying that those 200 people would then come every week thereafter? If that was the case then it may make good business sense for the club to do it.

Another thing that Gravesindian might like to consider is buying a season ticket. Based on the cost of the ticket and the normal match day admission price I effectively get into the gound 'free' on five occasions - now that's what I call complimentary!

Is this guy having a laugh??? Gravesend don't expect a couple of hundred asians to just turn up! We know we have loyal supporters through thick and thin. The players appreciate this and always show thanks for our constant cheering throughout the game regardless of the score.Free tickets is just a no-no. To even ask, to me is just cheeky,What's wrong with paying your own way?Let's not pussyfoot around here incase we are seen as racist.This is not an issue of race.It is about supporting your local club, about pride in your region.I personally am not fussed whether you turn up or not, because i know I will be there as much as work allows, and there are hundreds like me.We don't need fair weather fans who come because it's free,never to be seen again when the gents at the turnstiles ask for money.I wish our attendances were in the thousands, but sadly they are not.UP THE FLEET!!!

GravesIndian,

It wasn't so far back that the same Critics of your idea were calling for more of those of ethnic origins to come to the Ground, to push out the 1 or 2 kids who were chanting racism during GNFC v County! They were truly terrifying Hooligans...

Anyway good idea, Gravesend is more multi cultural then British so the Fans should be represented in this manner. I for one would like to see the thriving multicultural industry of Gravesend plough money into the Club.

I understand there was a debate about having a multicultural Mascot?

But I hope you weren't having a dig at the Loyal supporters who come week in and week out?