Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

K's Merging with Farnborough

• 3 weeks later...

looks to me like farnboro are taking the lead role in the merge with westleys wad and squad and league position...but a move to kingstonian looks likely as i believe it is a league rated ground?.. so in short a massive result for the K's and bad news for the boro boys, no matter how you parcel it up or what you call the team non league for the majority of fans is about local footy and i cant see to many boro fans making the trip each saturday frown.gif" border="0

This sounds like a recipe for disaster, it seems Westley is only intrested in his own ego, Kingstonian get low crowds anyway partly because they charge too much, or at least they did the last time I went there about 2 years ago, the ground was nothing special then has it been improved? I can't imagine many Farnborough fans making what would be a fair old journey to Kingston and many of the existing K's fans would probably not go and watch this new team that has taken over their club and the idea of playing home games at alternate grounds is ridiculous, just build a new stadium in Farnborough and leave Kingstonian out of it.

the most likely outcome i reckon is using kingsmeadow as the ground...any talk of moving it each home game is probably to make the merge more acceptable in the short term... westly has probably had enough of rushmoor council by now, no doubt the feeling is mutual...whatever the team is called it will be in kingston, probably named as much like kingstonian as the authorities will let westly get away with....a name change a few years down he line wont upset to many people,i reckon we'll see farnboro and kingstonian becoming kingstonian borough in a few years..a sucsessful K's side playing in kingston can draw a good crowd and with westly's money probably challenge for promotion... red hoops red stripes? red and white squares!! no one will care if they win 9 games out of 10 at the start of next season.... the die hard K's fans will be miffed at the kit and name change but will still have a local football club, the boro boys will be quietly forgotton if they dont want to make the trip.... this is only my best guess at the likely outcome ... but if the k's are in financial trouble it still looks a better deal for them than for boro..

The problem seems to be that the Conference haven't yet agreed to let the new side play with them, while the Ryman League have said it's not a problem.<p>If you remember back to the beginning of the season, and the farce over the playoffs in the Conference. Westley spoke out loudly against the idea.<p>I cannot see the merger going ahead without approval to play in the Conference.<p>Could this be payback time.

You say it looks a massive result for K's - well on day 1 of these plans, maybe. But, it's getting worse and worse. I have nothing against Westley and I'd welcome him to the club, but I'm standing up for Kingstonian FC (and Farnborough on the other side). <p>The team would have to initially play at Kingsmeadow, for as you say it is up to league standard - this is actually the reason Westley wants to merge, so that he can stay in the Conference and then move on. But, he still wants to build a new superstadium, and at one stage was gonna have us play somewhere down the M3, with Cherrywood Road and Kingsmeadow as "excellence academies". I did point out to him that there would then effectively be no-one going to these stadiums and so what would be the point? Fans of both sides would be alienated anyway. <p>His most current plan seems to be to play at Kingsmeadow, build a new stadium in Farnborough, and then alternate home matches. He thinks that this "strength in unity" will reap crowds of over 3,000. Adding both supporters together doesn't even get that, and there would be just over half his new supporter base at one ground and just over half at the other. Ultimately "home" games will seem so few and far between that crowds will dwindle. <p>Westley himself is good at the spin, and there's plenty of it over on our forum right now. It's hard to keep up with, but here it is:<p>Forum - kingstonian.net

• 4 weeks later...

I thought this whole thing was now dead and buried, as it should be, a merger is one thing provided the teams are fairly close, but this is just Westley trying to buy a new toy, although I did agree with his views on the ridiculous Conference play offs. It seems many Farnborough fans would rather see their club go under and then reform and start again as neighbours Aldershot did.