Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

New Season Signings & Rumours

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of a backward step is it not.

Oh, I don't know --- there are those who, looking at the bigger picture, might argue that being the manager of the development squad at a step 3 side is a much better place

to be than overall manager of a step 5 side that has no possible chance of promotion...

For what it's worth, my own view is that Barker has taken the plunge a year too early.  With Hertford gone, and Colney imploding, there was a very real chance of the side that

Barker had put together at Cockfosters winning the league in 17/18.  Given that at least one of the 16/17 step 5 league winners had a player wage bill of over £100.000, to win

a step 5 league on a zero-budget would really be something worth having on one's cv...

I agree Cockfosters would have had a great chance to win the league this year if Barker had stayed and kept the squad together, but must have been in back of his mind that without having a ground that could get promoted, would it be worth it? No disrespect to Cockfosters as they seem a good club, but having put all that effort in, surely you'd want to make sure you could go up if you win it

I agree Cockfosters would have had a great chance to win the league this year if Barker had stayed and kept the squad together, but must have been in back of his mind that without having a ground that could get promoted, would it be worth it? No disrespect to Cockfosters as they seem a good club, but having put all that effort in, surely you'd want to make sure you could go up if you win it

Why ?  Surely winning the league that you are in is always worth it, purely for its own sake...  Before all this silly pyramid nonsense, that's exactly what teams did --- strive to win the

league that they were in, and then next year, strive to win it again...  Sometimes, a club with ambition, (and a couple of wealthy directors), would apply to join a higher league, but

most other clubs didn't bother --- and it was a system that worked perfectly well for seventy years or more...

Winning the league should be the primary motivation, promotion is a by-product of that success.

Those who say 'we couldn't get promoted anyway, so whats the point' are using it as an excuse for bottling it when it came to the crunch.

That said, I would have been very surprised if Dean or anyone else (at this level) could have taken Cockfosters any further. Their apparent lack of resources in comparison to other clubs will make it very difficult to keep hold of their better players or bring in new players of the required quality.

I'm pretty sure being able to get promoted is important to the managers who work hard all season to try and win the league. I'd expect that was a big part of the reason why Gavin Kelsey left Hoddesdon and Ryan Thompson left London Colney in recent years. just my opinion, but I don't think many managers at teams near the top would be happy if they won it and then had to do it all again in the same league the following season.

I think if a manager is aware of the situation before the his tenure begins, then it isn't a problem. I've always said there is no shame in Spartan football, as long as everyone is singing from the same hymn sheet and understands the situation.

• 2 weeks later...