Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Proposed Constitution 2017-18

Your AGM should be fun.  I thought standard Saturday league rule was if you sit out a season or do not complete it you start again 1 or 2 divisions lower.

Winlsow United went down one division from div 1 to 2 because they sat out 2009/10 season as I would expect.

Woodford Town sat out last season but come back at the same level in division 1 in the draft constitution-weird!.

Berkhamsted Raiders take the biscuit. The draft has them to  come up two divisions after their record was expunged in the Herts. County League for not raising teams for half a dozen away league games last season according to HCL official who says they asked to go back in that league higher up but were turned away for next season.

OD -they have not totally disappeared from full time you can still see them in the cups-same story though. Herts. Intermediate cup 12/11/16 tie awarded to Oaklands and development/reserve division cup 29/10/16 tie awarded to Bovingdon Reserves. You would think the SSMFL would know what went on last season and not touch them with a barge pole.

'not touch them with a bargepole' --- absolutely !

Park View also --- a bunch of Ghanaians who were thrown out of the Middlesex County League a while ago for assaults on referees --- oh great, just what the SSML needs... 

For those that don't know there has been a bit in the local press over the last few weeks about Berkhamsted Raiders having the audacity to try and effectively take over the Broadwater Stadium and turn it into a 3G pitch with 24/7 usage.  This on the face of it sounds like it would make the senior side Berkhamsted FC a mere pawn in the whole scheme of things and not running their own side at the ground there that they have done since the early 1900's.

I've been a Berkhamsted fan ever since my Dad took me when I was 6 years old and as a family we've lived in the town for as long as I know.  As a club now and previously as Berkhamsted Town we have an extremely proud history with the highlight being when the whole town shut down in 2001 to attend the FA Vase Final under the current new manager Steve Bateman.

To now hear they have effectively been promoted 2 divisions despite folding their side last season would make my Dad and Grandad turn in their graves.

This season especially as a 60ish year old fan has been one of my best in recent memory and attendances looked the best for many years.  Chairman Steve and other board members greet you by person and Saturday afternoons there are the highlight of my week.

Hearing calls for a committee meeting to revise the draft constitution before the AGM.

Issues to be discussed:

1. Southall's ground;

2. London Colney-progress on new committee and management

3. Division 2: Park View and Berkhamsted Raiders

Sub-committee did not do its homework. Middlesex County League banned Park View over referee assaults. Herts. County League Senior division clubs upset at being leapfrogged by double promotion of Berkhamsted Raiders (record expunged). Both offend fairness in football fundamentals. Lots of ex referees on main committee and clubs upset at division 2 being a dustbin for teams other leagues reject.

Park View left the Middlesex County League due to issues with the league committee. But that was a good few years ago they have been in the AFC for the last few seasons and not been trouble.

There are worse clubs in the other divisions

'issues with the league committee' --- yes, the issues being assaults on referees...  I also don't think that 'there are worse clubs in the other divisions' is much of a recommendation...

To be fair to Park View, in the Amateur Football Combination they have won the division they were in for the last three seasons, so even if they were only facing the likes of

Clapham Old Xaverians and Fulham Compton Old Boys, they can clearly play a bit.

However, interestingly, the Amateur Football Combination has assessors who mark each club throughout the season on their overall 'persona', and last season, a season in which

they were league champions, Park View were placed 5th of 88 on 'facilities'; 19th of 88 on 'hospitality'; 44th of 88 on 'organisation'; and 73rd of 88 on 'spirit of football', which suggests

that things may not have changed all that much from their Middlesex County League days..

A cynic might suggest that the SSML are likely to be far more concerned with facilities and hospitality than the 'spirit of football', but we shall see soon enough...

Are same people at Park View from Middlesex League days that ex ref and Armageddon will not let go? Or is the real worry Q jumping?

They won the Senior division 1 so natural promotion is to Premier division in the same AFC league. If they want to get in the pyramid it seems more logical to be in Middlesex County than SSMFL. Presumably MCL has many divisions and would not put them straight in the top one just as if Herts County kept Berkhamsted Raiders for next season they would have to start in the development division and get promotion to the senior division by winning games and then win lots more games another season to get up to the Premier (which is step 7 like SSMFL division 2).

Herts County insider says under their rules Berkhamsted Raiders stay as members of their league until their AGM even though their record was expunged from the division table. Hence it would need a transfer from one National System League to another (HSCL to SSMFL). Relevant committee has never let a record expunged club start the next season even one division higher -let alone two.<br /><br />Ground breaking move from SSMFL or just a cock up that they thought they were taking a Sunday youth club into adult football for the first time? Maybe going for a hat trick. They tried adult football on Sundays and you guessed did not finish the season. At least in the Herts County development division they did win 4 games and completed a full league season in 2015-16 before packing in again during the course of the 2016-17 season.

Re Southall (provisional). Is this anything to do with Hayes & Yeading apparently still not having a safety certificate?

Yes could be.

Herts County insider says under their rules Berkhamsted Raiders stay as members of their league until their AGM even though their record was expunged from the division table. Hence it would need a transfer from one National System League to another (HSCL to SSMFL). Relevant committee has never let a record expunged club start the next season even one division higher -let alone two.<br /><br />Ground breaking move from SSMFL or just a cock up that they thought they were taking a Sunday youth club into adult football for the first time? Maybe going for a hat trick. They tried adult football on Sundays and you guessed did not finish the season. At least in the Herts County development division they did win 4 games and completed a full league season in 2015-16 before packing in again during the course of the 2016-17 season.

Take it you're not a fan?

I am a fan of fair play. Promotion should come from winning leagues or at least getting close- like Hertford instead of London Coney.

Where should you draw the line going down the list of floodlit teams?

For me NBSP 7th is borderline this season.

Amersham 12th last season pinching Hale Leys players and management was rightly thrown out by the clubs but amazingly SSMFL committee thought it OK.

Berkhamsted Raiders double promotion for nicking Tring Corinthians players and management after record expunged two divisions below is nowhere near acceptable if clubs get a vote.

London Colney website reporting a good new management team taking over, so one less issue for the constitution debate.