Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Next Season

Agree totally with both above. Saw people saying we should scrap divisional cups, I’d go along with that. Just have the league trophy or whatever it’s called. I see that Crawley Green may be moving to Luton’s new facilities when they are done, that will be great for them, sure to be great facilities and surface.

Would be amazed if it isn’t Tring Corinthians. There experiment with Aylesbury United has not worked out.

This effort goes wide of the upright, as far as I am aware Corries will be with us next season.

I believe If Southall stayed at their current groundshare, Burnham, they would have been in danger of being moved in to the Hellenic.

For the majority of teams 4 cups isnt that much. Division, county, challenge and fa cup/ vase or both.

Divisional is normally 3 matches. County cups is more of probably, a lot of teams in these leagues do well. Most go out of the fa cup quite early. The Vase is always a good and quite a few teams do well.

These cups shouldn’t make to much of a difference. Front load the season, it’s crying out for this!!!!! But don’t stop there do as much before Xmas as you can! Many will be called off during this period that’s when they get rescheduled.

The problem I find with teams local to me is that they enter pointless competitions like the Wycombe Senior cup or the Anagrams or the Slough cup. Some teams enter all 3.

Perhaps rather than stop the competitions altogether there should be a cap on the number of cup competitions entered. Just an example, Aston Clinton enter lots each year and they always seem to be the team that play catch-up.

I believe If Southall stayed at their current groundshare, Burnham, they would have been in danger of being moved in to the Hellenic.

For the majority of teams 4 cups isnt that much. Division, county, challenge and fa cup/ vase or both.

Divisional is normally 3 matches. County cups is more of probably, a lot of teams in these leagues do well. Most go out of the fa cup quite early. The Vase is always a good and quite a few teams do well.

These cups shouldn’t make to much of a difference. Front load the season, it’s crying out for this!!!!! But don’t stop there do as much before Xmas as you can! Many will be called off during this period that’s when they get rescheduled.

The problem I find with teams local to me is that they enter pointless competitions like the Wycombe Senior cup or the Anagrams or the Slough cup. Some teams enter all 3.

Perhaps rather than stop the competitions altogether there should be a cap on the number of cup competitions entered. Just an example, Aston Clinton enter lots each year and they always seem to be the team that play catch-up.

Clubs want Saturday football because of bar revenue hence my idea to front load the season was thrown out. Of course if clubs want to arrange with opposition to bring forward any of their Saturday fixtures to early season midweek dates once the list has been published then they are free to do so if both clubs agree.

No club has ever entered all three competitions you mentioned in the same season.

The Wycombe Senior Cup is a midweek competition and Aston Clinton were told it has no priority over their SSML fixtures.

The Anagrams Trophy is purely for clubs not entering the FA Vase and is played on FA Vase dates and has never been a problem.

The Slough Cup, yes I got this one wrong last season as was not aware it was a Saturday competition, hence clubs will not be given permission to enter this

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to start a guessing game.

I learned three weeks ago, almost by accident, that a Div 2 club was folding. but was asked not to say anything as 'the players don't know yet and we still have games to play'.

I'll see what I can find out this evening, and will be back on here tomorrow.

Incidentally, I agree with almost all of Dailydose's post above.

Karen you have your problems when organising this and it must be torture.

Even two out of the three cups still take up spaces and cause congestion. The smaller the competition the further Spartan teams will get. It’s inevitable!

How many clubs groundshare? I’m guessing they wouldn’t get any revenue no matter the day. Supporters love a midweeker, for most it’s easier getting to a midweek match than a Saturday match, family reasons, free time to do things etc.

Would love to know what clubs get more on a Saturday. Without looking I bet some of the bigger attendances are midweek.

Sorry to be so late, it's been a busy couple of days.

AFC Southgate will be leaving the Spartan Division Two and folding at the end of the season.  I am told that the reasons are 'simply financial'.

As I posted earlier, I learned about this three weeks ago but was asked not to say anything as the players hadn't been told.  I was at both the away game v Park View last Wednesday and the home game v Tring Town this evening, and it is clear to me that the players still haven't been told.  I think this is pretty shabby.

Even shabbier is the fact that AFCS didn't inform Hadley FC that they were calling it a day until after the March 31st deadline for groundsharing agreements, thus leaving Hadley without tenants, and with a significant hole in their budget.  Not life-threatening, but a headache that Hadley didn't need.

As a season-ticket holder at AFC Southgate, (possibly their only season-ticket holder), I have enjoyed watching them on and off this season, and I am desperately disappointed at the way things have turned out.  But hey, that's football...

Who will you be following next season? It is a struggle to run a club and if there aren’t enough people willing or able that’s it. Buckingham Town a once great club will be folding at the end of the year and it looks very likely Olney Town will too. A damn shame. A couple of years ago I wrote down enough teams to fill two divisions almost of teams that have folded from this league in my time (mainly south midlands before the merger with spartan) some fantastic and successful clubs among them.

Agree totally with both above. Saw people saying we should scrap divisional cups, I’d go along with that. Just have the league trophy or whatever it’s called. I see that Crawley Green may be moving to Luton’s new facilities when they are done, that will be great for them, sure to be great facilities and surface.

We will be moving there from next season and is a massive step forward for the club, hopefully we can pick up a couple more good results and guarantee premier division football and bring step 5 level football back to Luton.

We will be moving there from next season and is a massive step forward for the club, hopefully we can pick up a couple more good results and guarantee premier division football and bring step 5 level football back to Luton.

Very exciting stuff. Luton should have a good non league side.

• 3 weeks later...

'Any news on applicants for division two next season ?'

Last night at Cheshunt I was told that, along with league champions Bovingdon, Herts County league side Sarratt have applied to join the SSML.

It would appear that Sarratt are still incensed at the league's decision to relegate them last season in favour of new boys AFC Oaklands, who subsequently folded after playing only seven games.

Incidentally, Dean Barker followers will probably be aware that he was today appointed manager at Northwood FC, the position he was widely rumoured to be taking up almost exactly a year ago.

Having enjoyed relative success in his three years of management so far, this will be a testing proposition for him --- personally I don't have much time for Northwood, but I wish him well.  

Watching Sun Sports win 3-0 at Hadley Reserves in the Herts County Div One last night, I was told that Sun are expecting to be promoted to the Herts Prem and are moving back into their home ground at Bellmountwood Avenue, and hope to be back in the SSML 'the season after next'.  Good to see them full of confidence and enjoying life again.