Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Saturday 14th October

So a sent-off player gets into a disagreement (fight?) with a spectator - as happened at a Premier Division game between Stotfold and WGC a couple of years ago - and it’s the fault of the League and it’s referees.

Why are the players and / or the spectators not being blamed on here?

If you read my comments correctly I was talking about ditching the league!

Both clubs deserve full punishment, as I was not there I can not comment on the actual game

There are many well established clubs playing in Div 2.

Ridiculous to think that they should ditch it.

Where would winslow be now if it wasn’t for many of these players spending large parts of their careers playing in it. And as for Enfield, I’m not saying that you support them but I’m sure you have an interest in how they do, have come on leaps and bounds, div 2 helping with their development.

It can be an extremely competitive league and many of the teams would do well in divisions higher.

For me the Spartan league and referee assiciations need to take it more serious they are the ones who let this division down!!!!

Nah rubbish. Maybe back 10 years ago when the division had some credibility when the likes of Kings Langley and AFC Dunstable were winning it.

Now very medicore teams and the Herts County League would wipe the floor with it.

Even over the past 7 years, only 2 of the champion clubs are in existence.

Get rid asap.

Bad state of affairs when Totternhoe are a top 2 side, which proves my point.

Edited by Enfield Ernie

I couldn’t disagree more!

This league is competitive. Agreed that there is a big gap difference between the clubs at the top and bottom but as far as development goes it’s perfect. It can be physical and very unpredictable.

I suspect that the majority of players who play Prem and Div1 have at some point have played in Div2.

Isn’t it? Surely that’s gwtting rid of mediocre teams leaving better ones behind?

Bit of both. Generally teams that have finished top 3 over consecutive seasons will eventually either drop off (Clinton, 61) or fold (Kents / Hale Leys) as players move on or get old. But generally they remain competitive for couple of seasons as has shown.

Whereas teams promoted from mid table would remain competitive in that division for a couple of seasons until they go up deservedly.

There are a number of factors that have impacted the division though:

Loss of established clubs (Kent’s, Stony, New Bradwell)

Lower quality of admission (Loughton last prem north bucks team)

Reluctance from North Bucks teams wanting to come up - Potterspury would add to the league

Groundshares - clubs using division 2 as ssmfl entry point (Brimsdown, Enfield Borough)

Costs - very expensive for clubs to play at this level without entry

Ground entry requirements

Loss of SSMFL reserve division

Saying all that I don’t think the quality has dropped. There will always be a divide in Division Two it’s not a recent thing, but not one promoted club that I can recall has struggled and the top 6/7 from the last few seasons would hold their own in Division 1.

Nah rubbish. Maybe back 10 years ago when the division had some credibility when the likes of Kings Langley and AFC Dunstable were winning it.

Now very medicore teams and the Herts County League would wipe the floor with it.

Even over the past 7 years, only 2 of the champion clubs are in existence.

Get rid asap.

Bad state of affairs when Totternhoe are a top 2 side, which proves my point.

Ha ha so many holes in this not even worthy of replying.

Bit of both. Generally teams that have finished top 3 over consecutive seasons will eventually either drop off (Clinton, 61) or fold (Kents / Hale Leys) as players move on or get old. But generally they remain competitive for couple of seasons as has shown.

Whereas teams promoted from mid table would remain competitive in that division for a couple of seasons until they go up deservedly.

There are a number of factors that have impacted the division though:

Loss of established clubs (Kent’s, Stony, New Bradwell)

Lower quality of admission (Loughton last prem north bucks team)

Reluctance from North Bucks teams wanting to come up - Potterspury would add to the league

Groundshares - clubs using division 2 as ssmfl entry point (Brimsdown, Enfield Borough)

Costs - very expensive for clubs to play at this level without entry

Ground entry requirements

Loss of SSMFL reserve division

Saying all that I don’t think the quality has dropped. There will always be a divide in Division Two it’s not a recent thing, but not one promoted club that I can recall has struggled and the top 6/7 from the last few seasons would hold their own in Division 1.

Reserve division has gone. The old reserves leagues had better teams than most of div2. I remember as a youngster coming out of reserves and playing in div 2 (or div1 as it was then Prem-senior-div1 I think) and finding it far easier, other than two games v Dunstable Town and Pitstone.

Personally I think maybe regionalising below Prem like Hellenic could be a way to go. I mean if a club can’t or doesn’t ever want to be promoted out of div 2 why not play in county league.

Edited by Winslow Boy

Reserve division has gone. The old reserves leagues had better teams than most of div2. I remember as a youngster coming out of reserves and playing in div 2 (or div1 as it was then Prem-senior-div1 I think) and finding it far easier, other than two games v Dunstable Town and Pitstone.

Personally I think maybe regionalising below Prem like Hellenic could be a way to go. I mean if a club can’t or doesn’t ever want to be promoted out of div 2 why not play in county league.

The problem is there is a drop off in terms of number of games, officials and quality overall. If it was the same as the Herts County League then I agree. As it is a bit of an anomaly in the south mids currently. The other problem is Bucks is weird county distance wise.

I think most clubs would love to go up, but where maybe 10 years ago all you needed was lights (which wasn’t easy in itself) there’s so many other requirements now you’re looking at upwards of £250k got a club like ours to get the right grading. We’re spending a ridiculous amount just to remain at Step 7.

The problem is there is a drop off in terms of number of games, officials and quality overall. If it was the same as the Herts County League then I agree. As it is a bit of an anomaly in the south mids currently. The other problem is Bucks is weird county distance wise.

I think most clubs would love to go up, but where maybe 10 years ago all you needed was lights (which wasn’t easy in itself) there’s so many other requirements now you’re looking at upwards of £250k got a club like ours to get the right grading. We’re spending a ridiculous amount just to remain at Step 7.

I hear you but would ask what’s the point then? Why not play North Bucks cheaper in all aspects and outside top 3 in div2 they wouldn’t find it a walk in the park that’s for sure and it should improve that level a bit refs, fixtures and all, and any money saved could in theory be saved up if a club wanted to go for promotion to SSML div 1. Edited by Winslow Boy