Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Leatherhead v Town

seemgee

Wasn't at the game, but listened to the 2nd half online - didn't sound that great to be honest - the 2nd goal was described as a horrendous back pass! and coupled with last Tuesday, we are certainly off-form.

Were there ANY positivies from yesterday from who was there? Did anyone play well?

Maybe the Hendon- Margate- Maidstone run was a false dawn after all

I don't advocate a managerial change - that would be too early in my view - but agree that team changes need to be made (tactics and personnel) and AL needs to demonstrate his abilities here, and be judged at the end of the season - with only one relegation place we SHOULD be fine.

In theory, next year should be an easier league given the restructure as there will be more step 4 clubs coming up to step 3, and Billericay will probably go up this year.

I don't accept that mid table would be an acceptable season after the last 3 seasons- we need to be challenging for the play offs and how close we come to them is how I will judge AL and the season.

For Tuesday, I would put in Blake and Hope - Liam has been training with us for a number of weeks and we know is a natural goalscorer. Blake was my MOM v Cheshunt, yet dropped to subs bench ever since? With Greene injured, he is essential in the team.

Also agree with the above - get Mickey further forward.

Fingers crossed for Tuesday ..

Here we go Theo, personal abuse and and a complete misrepresentation of what I am trying to say .If you really feel that I want to see us go backwards then perhaps you should entirely ignore me and only read the input of the others. Am I Bothered?!!!!!

I agree with Vman's 9.30am.comment and the latest one of RainG. The two paras starting with "I don't advocate....." in his submission, sums  up exactly how I feel about the current situation.......

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

With montell gone and greene missing there is little creativity. There are creative young players sitting on the benches of other sides in the league who are being use by the top clubs for 10 minutes here and there would improve us and no doubt jump at the chance of a regular starting place. It doesn’t take a great deal of nouse to identify and target the ones the manager might want tbh. I think we all would have at least 4 we could name.

THeo, don't let what I have to say stop you contributing. Although I was being sincere when I said about finding no satisfaction in the clubs current predicament, I realise that perhaps I went over the top with my response to you. My only excuse is that I am somewhat in a bit of a predicament myself at the moment.   

After all we don't always disagree, see our comments following the Wingate game. But this time, let's agree to disagree on how we see things, or in my case interpret what I read, and continue to seek what we think is the best for the club from our own prospective. Because, how ever we may differ, I am sure we both hope it will continue to grow. 

Returning to the current debate I entirely agree with Beardlyesque, that is why I recently queried whether AL is making use of scouts or relying upon his little black book. Only time will tell.

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

Comparison to previous years, clearly this squad/team isn't strong enough.   Says a great deal that we aren't scoring enough goals and simultaneously are shipping at the other end with the strongest keeper we've had for some time.

I know coaches can be stubborn but clearly right now we are going through a patch and the positives from earlier in the season seem a long time ago.

Sad times.

Read this thread and am amazed how quickly some Enfield supporters are jumping on Andy Leese's back,when your team are not even halfway through the season yet. Seems quite mad,whatever results have been.

These fans are totally unrealistic and seem to think the manager has a magic wand.

I think you should be focussing on the long term and looking for Andy Leese to build a successful team over a few seasons,which he will do if given the chance.

Building a consistent team takes time. Any team can be a flash in the pan one season wonder but building something special is a lot harder.

I do, however agree that changes will need to be made but to me that is a natural progression of any squad ie lowering the average age of the players,cherry picking players, replacing injury prone players etc .  

Read this thread and am amazed how quickly some Enfield supporters are jumping on Andy Leese's back,when your team are not even halfway through the season yet. Seems quite mad,whatever results have been.

These fans are totally unrealistic and seem to think the manager has a magic wand.

I think you should be focussing on the long term and looking for Andy Leese to build a successful team over a few seasons,which he will do if given the chance.

Building a consistent team takes time. Any team can be a flash in the pan one season wonder but building something special is a lot harder.

I do, however agree that changes will need to be made but to me that is a natural progression of any squad ie lowering the average age of the players,cherry picking players, replacing injury prone players etc .  

Just curious 3spirit....how many of the current crop would you say can be part of a team who will be able to climb up to the upper limits of the table?    I know this game isn't easy, and I do think AL has done a half decent job.....but we have been crying out for a striker all season long.

3 spirit - I think everyone on here has the best interests of the club at heart - and most comments are constructive.

Personally I have always praised AL for the hard job he has had - but we are now approaching a crucial time of the season - win the games in hand to get close to the play offs or write the season off - failing to win the last 2 and in the manner of the performances give cause for concern.

Last year the performances picked up at this point, this season it feels we have gone backwards since Maidstone.

I didn't know Haag had joined Cheshunt - and permanently, not on loan! I don't believe he has even made a competitive appearance for us because of injury? Wonder why he has not been given a chance?

I believe it was in the Finchley programme where Andy suggested that the aim was 20 points from the next 10 games. So far he has had 1, imv, lucky point against Finchley so that leaves 19 required from the next 8 games. There are 24 on offer so I expect, unless there is a radical change of tactics and personnel, after tomorrows  match against Folkestone I suspect that the target will be 19 points from 7 games that is he will need 6 wins and 1 draw to reach his self imposed target.

So Andy, if you read this, and we are no better in a weeks time will you admit failure and walk?

This is the Isthmian league premier division. I don't really know what it was like in the Southern league but in this league teams are expected to play football and not hoof the ball to slow forwards. (Leatherhead managed it as did Finchley in the second half). As stated above the team has now played 26 games under your management but they still don't seem to know each others strengths and weaknesses.

In this league we are expected to see good wing play with overlapping full backs.

In this league we expect the centre halves to pass the ball out of defence.

In this league we expect forwards to find space.

It's all very well talking about changing the management, but we've got to be realistic in terms of who would be available and want to take over at this point in the season. If AL were to leave mid-season, I personally think we would be in a lot of bother - much of the squad would probably move on as well, and we'd be in the same position as we were in the summer, without a pre-season to put any kind of team together.

I'm the first to accept that the last few games have been bad, we won (deservedly in my view) against Thurrock and have been pretty abject since then, but I'd like to think that Andy and Darren also accept how poor we have been, and are looking to improve things, both in terms of personnel and tactics.

I think the only realistic option we have at the moment is to judge Andy at the end of the season, and make any decision then - the alternative will surely result in us finishing lower down the table. I'm still optimistic that the season can and will be turned around. I saw enough in the Maidstone games and the few games either side to see that this team can play well and compete, and I hope we get back to that level of performance sooner rather than later.

I say this in pretty much every one of my posts, but the best thing we can all do for the club is get behind the players and management, especially through the tough times -  no question that players respond to positivity and encouragement from the terraces, so we can all make a difference in that regard.

Edited by Barney

Not sure why everyone keeps bringing up the two Maidstone games..Yes we battled for our lives but we were outplayed for the vast majority of both games..If anything, it stuck the team into a mindset of constant defending and not trying to maintain possession during games,even against lesser teams.

Unless there is a serious risk of relegation then make a judgement about the management situation at the end of the season.

Regarding Maidstone, surely we'd expect to be outplayed by a team competing towards the top of the league two steps above us? Go out and try to outplay them and it could have been a cricket score. I was very impressed with the fight we showed, the discipline, the organisation and the attitude of the players - if we had showed even something close to that this past month, I think we'd be quite a few places higher up the table.