Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Enfield Town v Dulwich

seemgee

It wasn't a good game, it was a good result. We matched Dulwich in the first half and just shaded it to go in 1-0 at half time. The second half , we sat back yet again and invited Dulwich on to us. They had chance after chance and but for Joe Wright and some decent last ditch defending, should have buried us. The difference was that when we broke today, against the run of play, we scored two very good goals. I have every faith in these players, however, that doesn't extend to the manager. He's far too negative for me.

I actually got there today and was delighted with the result. However I tend to be in agreement with SeaT. It was the two great strikes by two youngster, one of whom should have been on much earlier, that gave us the win.

I am again going to be called negative but I can only state my view on what I saw.

Having been away from the scene for some weeks to me the tactics seem to have stayed the same. Of course there is little option for the manager to change things when the centre of the defence is so immobile. From what I have read recently perhaps playing both Purcell and Blackman in midfield could be seen as a change of tactics. But defensively we were all at sea, especially in the second half and something has to be addressed to changing this. Kirb's return will no doubt help matters but he will still need a couple of more mobile defenders around him.

Therefore back to my old mantra, which is that AL shows a reluctance to take a chance on some of his younger players. For example on numerous separate occasions 

Thomas had the chance to take on their centre half but lost control of the ball and gave it away. Ward-Cochrane came on with a couple of minutes to go, controlled a pass and wrong footed their CH and smashed the ball from just inside the penalty area into the roof of the net. That is what I have been crying out for but will we see him start the next game????? Also as usual Blake did a lot of hard running but nothing ever seems to come from it. Green's return to fitness will help and I would like to see him with Hope and W-Cochrane in a starting line up.

Finally, in addition to the two aforementioned strikes thank God for Joe Wright's outstanding goalkeeping!!!!!!! If Al could find 2/3 outfield players with similar ability then I am sure everyone would be more that happy.

My glass half empty is definitely half full right now! There was a clear change in tactics from AL and it totally worked. We didn't beat the team at the top of the league by accident and we certainly didn't beat them by two goals by accident. I've said before that we have the basis of a side here and that was borne out today. Playing Mickey further up was important and a step in the right direction. We're not the finished article, but I was very happy with what I saw today against the league's top team. And Mark should be back shortly. And Liam will get on eventually.

Better performance, more energy, purpose and a change of shape. But we were still nowhere close to the best team on the park. We were lucky not to concede three / four in the second half, JW in goal pulled off a couple of great saves and again was MTMT. That says it all. We are still of the pace, DHFC passed the ball to each other, we still give it away and play on the Blackfoot, in our own half. The best move was in the in the final moments when we passed the ball to each other five times and we scored. I’m getting worried when we hear that we are work in progress, we are not. One swallow does not mean the summer has come. The players worked harder today, but it is clear that many of them are not at the standard to compete at the top of this league. I hope desperately that I am proved wrong, I really am.

Wasn't at the game - but watched the end live on facebook (thanks whoever did that!) and looking forward to watching the game on tifosy!!

After  testing week when there was a lot of concern voiced on here, credit where it's due

- Team tweaked once more - Mickey more advanced, Liam in squad

- We battled, and scored 2 good goals (Ben's was great on fcebook, look forward to seeing Ryan's!)

- Maintained unbeaten run at home, beat league leaders, scoring 3 goals .. and without Aaron!

- Squad update posted on Friday, 7 min post match interview with Andy on facebook straight after the game .. so real efforts being made to communicate with the fans. 

Maybe it was desparate defending at times, but we just beat the league leaders, with a set of tactics that worked.

Well played Andy and the whole team! Onwards and upwards!

"But we were still nowhere close to the best team on the park."

Disagree MT Head. Of course we were the best team because we won by two clear goals. Yes we had to rely a lot on Wright yet again but he is part of the team. Compare Wright's performance with their goalie who dropped the ball into his net as he was under pressure. Their goalie is part of their team.

So we had a better goalie and, in the end, we had better tactics. Yes they moved the ball about a bit and their passing was often better than ours but on many occasions in the second half they were lost for ideas. At the final whistle we were on the attack again.

When they came out looking for a point, the same mistake that Folkestone made in the first quarter of an hour or so, our forwards found the space to finish them off. I do agree that Mickey should be playing wide up front and that Ward-Cochrane deserves to play from KO but the manager had the tactics right today and deserves credit for that.

We beat a side who are looking for the championship at the end of the season, who had not been beaten away this season and the Town had never beaten home or away. Half full? I am drunk on success and give me a glass of that every week.

Still he needs another 16 points from 7 games to meet his target a very tall order with two away matches to come.

I had a different view of events yesterday than that which I usually have as I raised myself off my sick-bed this week to assume a seated position at a home game. Glad to say I was much cheered by what I saw - certainly raised the spirits so a big thank you to Andy and the management team and all the players.

Whilst I agree we were second best for much of the second half, we weren't as far behind Dulwich as Man Utd were behind Arsenal yesterday and the last time I checked (just ask Jose) this game's still about winning! To have beaten the league leaders, and Dulwich against whom we struggle to pick up results at that, is a creditable achievement. 

To be fair to Dulwich I thought our first goal was a foul on the keeper (good to see Simon actually using his physical prescence for once!) and our goal led a charmed life in the second half (are we Utd in disguise?) - a combination of great goalkeeping, resilient defending and some poor finishing, unusually, from our opponents. They'll have better days and win though so not too much for their excellent fans to worry about.

Joe Wright was named MoTM for the umpteenth time this season and Darren Purse marshalled the defence superbly yesterday. Excellent performances in midfield, particularly from Ryan Blackman and Adam Martin yesterday.. Mickey Parcell's reintroduction was important - always gives 100% but is able to add that creativity we're lacking without Aaron Greene too. Topped off by two cracking goals from Ryan Blackman and Ben Ward-Cochrane.

I completely agree that one swallow doesn't make a summer so more of that please on Tuesday! In the meantime, lets just celebrate the management team and players getting it right as I don't think too many were expecting a performance like that yesterday.

Archived