Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Enfield Town v Tooting & Mitcham

seemgee

Such a very poor performance. We were lucky to get three points against Dorking and lucky to get a point today. I can't tell you the number of times the ball was booted high into the air when the opposition knew that it was so easy to play against us by keeping the ball on the deck. Merry Christmas.

So disappointing. Agree with you Andyetfc, ball hoofed high often so we became predictable. Better football was played Tuesday night, and I know the arguement that they were a lower side, but todays team are at the bottom of the league. I’d be interested to know peoples opinions as to why the difference of standard in 4 days. (I’m talking manly attack as defence weren’t great Tuesday either). I really thought that looking at today’s line up (all experienced players etc) we would be in line for a win, obviously I was wrong. We need to do something different for the Harlow game, something needs to change, but what do I know. Merry Christmas everyone.

The above comments again are virtually a copy of my post after the first game. 

Although a piece of information imparted to me today could explain why AL still player so many of his "old pals".  Could it possibly be that they don't get paid if they don't play.??? Cynic, cynic I hear some cry. 

An over weight and so obviously unfit Kirby didn't look out of place with those around him

However with the exception one or two, particularly our goalkeeper Wright who again earned his fee three times over, there was little football played. Both Thomas and Blake showed very little to admire.

What else can one say we are what we are and if the majority is happy with what was on show today then as the previous observer said, "what do I know". Have a merry Christmas everyone 

and who knows Santa might bring us a few new changes to the team.!!!!!

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

As disappointing a performance as we've had in a while - Tooting & Mitchum will think they should have won this one.

Glad that Liam got the goal to preserve our unbeaten home record after our fans finally found their voice - think that played a big part. We really offered very little going forward for most of the match and our defensive frailties remain. Sam Youngs was a deserved Man of the Match and Joe Wright (and the crossbar) saved us yet again.

Another poor performance against another poor team. In all honesty I felt we were a little lucky to get a point as T&M had numerous opportunities on the break but we’re in the whole wasteful with them.

We were lacking in creativity again today and I really feel we need to freshen our midfield up. Long hopeful balls are becoming the norm and it’s not enjoyable to watch.

A few points to add: (1) Tooting on current form are midtable, 7 points from 6, same as Town; (2) yet another defensive error from us losing the ball coming out of defence and then having no cover; (3) we very  unlucky not to score when Thomas hit the crossbar and Youngs follow up was instinctively saved; (4) we were also unlucky when Kirby hit the post; (5) Aaron Greene, usually one of our better players, had an off day. 

I am not happy with our play at the moment but have seen much worse. The defensive errors are the key problem in my view, a matter of which the management are only too aware and I am sure will address.

Week after week we get the same thing and the posts above are correct. The team cannot be faulted for effort but some of the tackes yesterday demonstrated our lack of fitness as desperate measures were needed to clear our lines. Our tactics appear to be the same week after week. Come out strong at KO hoping for an early goal but as sides get the measure of us we go on the back foot. For at least half an hour in first half there was only one team going to score and it wasn't us.

When the goal came and for most of the second half we were on the back foot. Tooting seemed to be satisfied with around ten minutes to go and went into a defensive shell and so we piled on the pressure. On the break at this time Tooting looked dangerous but then lacked the pace and manpower to create openings.

We looked the most likely to score and sure enough Hopey put the ball in the net. After that Tooting came out again and demonstrated if they had continued with the attacking tactics they had adopted for most of the match they would probably have got the three points.

We lack leadership on the field and with Kirby playing why he isn't captain defeats me. Hasn't the manager seen Kirby encouraging and advising young players as he did for most of his time at the town.

I am starting to believe that most of the staff at the club are there for a final payday before they retire and I hope that isn't the manager's policy as well.

>>53 Seasons said, "The defensive errors are the key problem in my view, a matter of which the management are only too aware and I am sure will address."

There are bound to be defensive errors when the midfield don't take responsibility and the attack does not keep the ball.

I think you may be right Steph.

The only ryman quality players on show yesterday were joe wright mickey parcell mark kirby ryan blackman and liam.

The rest are good southern league players but not good enough for the ryman/Bostik.

Not sure the manager's black book that he spoke about at the agm stretches any further than southern league,and it shows.

Agree with Vauxhallman.We have about 6 players i wouldn't mind keeping as a nucleus.The rest of the squad are very average and certainly not the sort of skillful ball players we are accustomed to at this club.I feel the standard of skill and technique is probably the lowest we have seen a this club since the Margolis era.

The rest are good southern league players but not good enough for the ryman/Bostik

Hmmmm...

Given that we tend to lose cup games against Southern League opposition, I would argue that this is not the problem

At last some supporters are at last waking up and smelling the coffee!!! 

All along I have been critical of fitness levels, skill and above all coaching that has been displayed at the club.

Yesterday was a prime example of all round fitness.  Although I have always advocated Kirby as being one of the best central defenders in the league, the way he looked yesterday did him or the manager no credit at all. I know he has had a long term injury but it says a lot about the way the team is run that there appears to have been no attempt to get him to lose weight and recover his fitness before playing again. The fact that it was was not to apparent says a lot about the other defenders. As for coaching the less the better.

As mentioned in the past I will will be absent for a number of weeks after Christmas, but I do hope some of the members make known their concerns at the AGM. 

All in all I think the final paragraph in Steph1's  earlier post sums it up well. Also LS's  "Franklin " quote is most apposite to the current situation.  

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

4wembleyfinals I have just been reading your comments as I sip my festive coffee and tuck into another mince pie. Lovely!!

Think it would be fair to say you are not a big fan of Andy Leese are you?

You seem to have an overwhelming number of concerns, on a range of issues, which you regularly air on this fans forum. Wonder if you have ever tried to approach and discuss these with our Manager face-to-face after a match ??

Shame you won't be joining us at the AGM next month, as this would provide the perfect platform for you to express your serious concerns to a wider audience.