Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Harlow v Enfield Town

seemgee

Well what a difference a few days makes. Those who made the trip enjoyed their Boxing Day football - we played some very good football today. Movement up top and the midfield responded. Good to see us getting to the bye-line and cutting the ball back to a player in space, rather than playing aimless crosses before reaching the bye-line.

Another Man of the Match performance for me from Sam Youngs but he had plenty of competition today. Harlow had their moments too and Joe Wright had a good game as usual but we deserved the win today.

First thing that I'd like to do is to praise Andy for his tactics and the way that we set up today. 443 and play the ball to feet was how we played this game and it was a joy to watch. It was pretty much end to end for 90 minutes but where as we defended as a unit and limited them to pot shots, we looked incisive and dangerous to boot. Everybody played well with Parcell being my MOTM.

We proved that we can play football today and that was the performance that Andy needed to get the supporters back on side. The question is do we now move forward with this approach or do we revert to type and hit it long to Simon Thomas on Saturday? The decision rests with one man !

So hang on, let me see if I've got this right. We wanted Liam to start a league game and - finally - he did. What happened? He got the important opening goal (which followed on from the equaliser he got when he came on as sub against Dorking). And we wanted Mark as captain. What happened? We win our first away league game in nine attempts. Mmm! This couldn't possibly be coincidence, could it?

I think the partnership of Purse and Kirby at the heart of the defence looked overpowering and formidable at Harlow.

Mickey is the flying right back we need, which is missing on the left , although we did have Aaron Green who compared with his earlier season form is still getting back to fitness.

Blake has the energy but not the technical skill and yesterday no brain either, although he did assist Liam’s goal. Blake got behind the Harlow defences yesterday and on one occasion just had to pull the ball back to Blackman but lashed in a cross which went out of play.

I think we’d like better forwards than Thomas and Hope, but saying that, both are scoring

Morning all

Well that was a very enjoyable Boxing Day - managed to negotiate going to the game at the last minute - walking through the car park as the whistle blew.

Line Up: When I saw the line up on twitter I had assumed we would play 3 at the back so was surprised when I saw John K at left back.

Was also interesting to see the significant changes made from the previous game. The manager's post match interview from Satruday showed he was equally frustrated and he appears to have taken decisive action which is to be applauded.

Centre Backs: The first time paring of Kirby and Purse - clean sheet and worked well together. Since the start of the season I have been wondering whether they could pair well enough, or whether you would need a speedy 3rd CB to complement them. Yesterday it certainly worked, albeit against relatively weak opposition. Mario sitting just in front certainly helped protect them, and he made a tactical foul to stop a breakway from Harlow at 1-0, getting a booking in the process. 

Playing Style: It is clear from the forum comments that we are in agreement that we have not played consistently enough. Yesterday there was a clear attempt to pass the ball - look at the 1st goal on facebook - a 9 pass move from the back to put the goal in the net - very impressive. 

It showed how Aaron Greene can link up play and be so influential in a forward position -  perhaps it is a waste having him as a wing back?

And while you could argue that Liam's goal was a simple stop and place into the net - he demonstrated his ability to be in the right place to receive the ball.

MOM: Could be given to any of Purcell, Youngs, Green, Hope or Blackman in my view - great to have the choice! No one had a bad game, and I would certainly expect an unchanged line up Saturday. Youngs has always been a good player in the team but I feel he is now really influencing the game and we are seeing his full potential.

On the subject of Ryan Blackman, not sure if it is common knowledge, but Andy revealed on a post match interview on tifosy recently that we had an approach for him from East Thurrock - higher level, and I would assume higher pay, but he turned them down to stay with us. I am very pleased to hear this, but also it reflects on the feeling within the squad that we have potential, that we are a club that players want to play for, and that Ryan has faith in and is learning from the manager.

Crowd was relatively quiet in the 1st half, but great voice in the second half and you could see the players appreciated it. The rain ensuring all fans stayed under the cover together at the side certainly helped - perhaps there should be a plan for everyone to stand together at all away games? I prefer behind the goal myself, but if there was a designated vocal area that could be good.

The negatives - well we still gave the ball away cheaply at times - but we were trying to pass to feet so no issues there. Again we were too deep trying to defend a 1-0 and Harlow had a 15 min spell when they could have equalised. I also think we dont use substitutes quickly enough - when we were under pressure a fresh pair of legs could have helped.

Finally, great to see the reception Jey Siva got when he was subbed - a real Enfield legend, got more claps from us than Harlow ...!and would love to see him back as I've said before !

Belated Happy Xmas all, and I for one am really enjoying the forum discussions - we all have the interests of the club at heart so let's keep the healthy debate going!

Well a win is a win, and I’m pleased for the manager and lads that finally we got an away win. Actually, for this game, I’m praising the defence. The second half consisted mostly of the ball being at Harlow end. I think they were unlucky not to nick a goal, but credit to our boys that it didn’t happen. The issue for me was that we didn’t get any good chances in the second half. The defence had to work so hard because the ball was given away so many times by our attack. Liam may have managed a goal, but I agree with other comments, he isn’t technically good on the ball and doesn’t create space. Ryan Blake didn’t have a good game for me and at one point Darren had a loud word or two with Ryan (which actually I don’t agree with, if you want to play Manager, stand on the side line, if you want be a player then encourage your team mates, don’t bawl him out in front of the fans).

If we want to play well against Met Police in the next game (a team who arnt at the bottom of the league), then I believe we need the defence of yesterday, but need players in attack who don’t lose the ball, and who who release the ball quick enough.

As we are all aware of this issue of fitness, I would have made the subs a lot quicker (attacking end), fresh legs might have given us more chances. But to finish on a positive note, well done, as like I said at the start, a win is a win!

Couldn’t disagree more with you Castorman!

Ryan Blake worked tirelessly all afternoon stretching the Harlow defence and being a threat down the flank. He gave it away a couple of times but as others have stated that happens when the team is trying to play more football.

Liam put in a great performance inside and out of the box occupying the 2 centre half’s all afternoon, winning headers and bringing others in to play with his hold up play, thus creating space for others in the process and he fully deserved his well taken goal.

The defence did deal with everything Harlow threw at them and I disagree they were unlucky not to score as I can only remember 1 or 2 routine saves that Joe Wright had to make.

Roll on Saturday!

And that’s why this Forum is so great CD Towner, we all have our own opinions. Football is made up of opinions, whether that be those of the fans, players, or management. I always find it amusing that people see things so differently, but one thing I think we all agree on is that yesterday showed promise and a positive move forward, and yes, I agree with you...bring on Saturday!

No wonder we won yesterday, having read SeasideT's yesterday's comments again, it seem we played 12 men, (443 but who played in goal.) Sorry ST but it was a good intro to one of my hobby horses, especially after the many views supporters, including me, have on technical ability and various team formations.

I blame it on the so called pundits with their " 424, 541, 433 diamonds, sweepers etc.etc." I think they try to make a simple game sound hyper technical to enhance the reason for them being on TV. Especially as very few of them have been successful managers and that even fewer of them have achieved EUFA  grade "B" and certainly not Grade "A"  coaching qualifications. So don't be sucked in to their speak.

It may come as a surprise to many that the majority of the holders of these qualifications,  in this country, are held by former non-league players and non-players. Also it has to be said that our recorded numbers of senior coaches is amongst the lowest in Europe. 

Why all this? Just thought you might like to know and I have nothing better to do as the wife wants to watch "Strickly" again. Also to make the point that many of those who have never played professional football invariably are more knowledgeable about the new requirements of the game, than those who have. That is why I like reading this forum for it's complexity of  ideas.

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

Sorry, what a tirade, perhaps I should have watch Strickly after all!!! Yes I should have said UEFA.

I would like to add just another few facts. The FA boasts approx 70,000 FA qualified coaches but about 68,000 are not recognised by the UEFA. According to them we had in the 2016/17 season only 1161 Elite Coaches where Spain had 12,700 and Germany 6550. 

Obviously most of our elite coaches are being used with our junior international teams, as shown by their success, but this leaves very few at grassroots level. In Spain and Germany they are spread widely through out their school system and it certainly shows.

Edited by 4wembleyfinals