Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Enfield Town V Harrow Borough

DerekR

I think that Andy and Darren have done well over the first half of the season, taking what they were given upon arrival. Success for me this year would be : (1) a higher points total for the second half of the season than achieved for the first; (2) continuing to build the squad and bringing on a few prospects such as Jack and Ben; (3) signing up key players for next season to avoid the close season trauma of losing our best, hopefully to include Joe, Micky, Aaron and  both Ryans; (4) retaining Andy and Darren for next season.

Keeping an unbeaten home league record; winning the League Cup or making the play offs would be a fantastic bonus.

nb A word of caution, Worthing will be a much tougher place to visit than has been the case for most of the season to date. 

I managed to watch some games last year, not as many as I would have liked, but have often read this forum. This year due to personal circumstances changing, I’m aroumd more and am pleased to be able to get to many more, so I thought I would delve in and join this forum. I find it quite exciting that I can start supporting more at the beginning of a new and exciting journey for Etfc. The thing that originally appealed to me about Etfc was the fans! Having been around the block a bit, I was impressed with the atmosphere at the club, and how supportive the fans really were. Don’t lose that, you really are the 12th player. I do believe we have the basis of a great team and agree with all the recent comments. Last year is done and dusted and when people keep going on about it, it sounds a bit like Uncle Albert.... “During the war....”. Lol!! Onwards and upwards Etfc!!!

I do get a bit suspicious when new forum members arrive on here at about the same time as a new manager arrives and then seems to disappear of the face of the earth when that manager is no longer involved with he club.Has happened quite a few times in the past.

I might have only posted 15 times according to the stats (I thought it was more) but there's no chance of me disappearing. I was born in Carterhatch Road, was a foundation member of this club, I have a named seat in the far stand and I supported Enfield FC from the 1950s until ETFC was formed. I watched a number of games in 2011/12 when we came back to England. Not certain when/if I will get back again but if I do I will be watching again. I hope the club can consolidate on the first half of the season. The Play offs are not yet out of the question - difficult but still possible.

Andy set his own high standard of what he considered would be successful and it is by that standard that I am judging him. In that standard there is no doubt or question he failed. I think it was a foolish thing to say that he was looking for 20 points out of the next 10 games in an earlier programme.

I also believe he was foolish when he turned on the opposition supporters at Royston. It is not an example to give to the players or the fans. We have sacked a manager before for similar activities. (There was no racial content in Andy's comments but there was less provocation than our previous manager suffered)

I was also at Folkestone and the performance in that game was not what I would expect from an Enfield team. The team as a whole appeared to give up with no effort at all.

There has been some good games as well but for many of them we have depended on an outstanding performance by our keeper. But our keeper is part of the team and we are entitled to expect outstanding performances from all of our players. 

Perhaps I am too demanding but I believe that there are better managers out there and I look forward to January 18th which is the forum where our manager can explain his actions and comment on those three occasions mentioned above.

I don't think it's unreasonable to set ambitious points targets, and put them in writing - it might well act as motivation for the squad and the management (i.e. "we've said we're going to try to do this now, so let's prove that we can"). I see no problem with aiming high, and would rather he targetted 20 and fell short than targetting a lower figure and only just making it. As far as I'm aware, he didn't say that we would get 20 points - it was an aim.

As for Royston, I was pretty close to the incident as well in that I heard some of Andy's responses, but not what was said to him in the first place. I thought at the time that he was defending Simon Thomas from criticism from some of our fans, but without knowing what was said initially, I can't say anything with certainty.

I've said this before so many times, but I view this appointment as a long term project, not a quick fix (you need a lot of money to bring it players for an instant fix). Yes, there have been some pretty poor performances along the way, and some less than exciting football played, and I'm sure Andy and Darren won't argue that point. I do think that the trend is one of gradual improvement, albeit 3 steps forwards, 2 steps back and I'm more than willing to give the management team my support and enough time to do the job. There are plenty of examples of successful managers that haven't got it quite right initially but have in the longer term, there are also plenty of examples of hasty knee-jerk management changes that do nothing for the long term stability of clubs.

Having just caught up with recent comments it is encouraging to see a last members are expressing their views in a more civilised manner, even when comments may be diametrically opposed to their own.

Reading to days observations, certain points are being raised that I expressed several months ago but which were met with great hostility. I do hope that the current trend continues because it makes much better reading, especially for those of us who are currently unable to attend for what ever reason.

They say absence makes the heart grow fonder and I find that I am now looking for the result first, hoping for a win, and then for members comments as to how we played.

I find it difficult to make any contribution when I haven't seen it with my own eyes. Do I hear some say " Thank God for that!!!!"  but from the Forum I get an overall picture of what's happening. So keep it up. 

I struggle when the manager gets criticised, if the players come out and start hoofing long balls to nowhere, giving up possession just like that. I can't imagine his pre-match team talks are along the lines of: "Need a solid game today, lads; let's hoof it long and give it away .....".

But then I'm a humble supporter with no coaching experience or badges whatsoever  :rolleyes:  

To be fair the manager has worked with these players before and knew each of them, how they played and what their technical abilities were.

Personally i am surprised how many points we have picked up playing the way we have been since the start of the season.

So my half term report for the manager would be:

Plus points..Carrying on his good cup run legacy and being able to pick up a decent points tally with a less than impressive squad or playing style.

Minus points.. Slightly disappointing level of technical ability in the initial squad of players that he has put together.

Andy I think you missed the sarcasm there.. to me setting high targets to aim for and falling short is no crime.... I do agree with LS that the technical ability is below what is needed to challenge for the play offs but as I put months ago filling all eleven positions with quality Ryman league players all living in close proximity to Enfield ... all available pre season... and all willing to join us was simply impossible.. Andy picked players he knew to stabilise the club and safe guard our Ryman premier status... and then hopefully progress... on my opinion anyway he has totally succeeded in the first two objectives now hopefully on with the third....if no progress is made then maybe time to ask questions