Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Sat 13th January

Chris Clapham

Worcester Park 4-3 Frimley Green

Combined Counties League Division 1

@ Skinners Field – Gate – 50 H/C

Another thoroughly entertaining game as the divisional leaders came from 0-3 down to maintain their strong position.

The sun even made a brief appearance and the home side could, and should have been 3 up themselves in the opening 5 minutes or so. Frimley weathered the storm and then took the lead via a well worked free kick converted by Bone and when Mepham volleyed home expertly after more good football from the visitors, one wondererd if the wheels were coming off for The Park. HT 0-2.

When Bone added a third with about half an hour left, it looked all over but the whooping celebrations were soon silenced as Park rallied to score three goals in seven minutes, one a penalty, to level things up. Frimley rallied themselves and should have retaken the lead but the real momentum was with the home side and they found a winner and saw out the game expertly.

Both sides put on a fine show; the visitors look like title challengers next season and were the best Frimley side I have seen for quite a while. Park, although champions elect (it would appear) can only wonder how they would fare in the premier division as the FA ground grading nonsense will probably demote them! Well done both clubs on a truly entertaining and pleasant day.

Non League Paper Article Here -

https://www.thenonleaguefootballpaper.com/features/21498/the-nlp-says-grading-is-unfair-to-the-smaller-clubs/

From a ground a hopper -

Re: [HertsHopper] Saturday 13th January 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

SHEERWATER 5
Farleigh Rovers 2
Combined Counties League, Division One Challenge Cup - Second Round
Att : c30
Sheerwater Recreation Ground, Blackmore Crescent, Sheerwater, Woking
Admission : £1.00 (concession). Programme : £1.00. Coffee : £1.00

A friendly welcome by legendary clubman Trevor Wenden and an upbeat response to recent concerns about compulsory relegation due to shortfalls in ground facilities. A meeting is scheduled next week with the local council in an attempt to make some progress on the problems. I hope it goes well.

This game kicked off at 1:30pm - which indicates one of the key issues here - and I didn't even ask if extra time & penalties applied as I thought it might be tempting fate! It was quite chilly and some of the ballkids looked frozen! They were well-drilled though and did an excellent job. To begin with, it seemed as if Farleigh were determined I should have extra shivering time as they came from behind twice before Sheerwater finally found their shooting boots.

The first half was notable only for the splendid swooping of one of those ever-present Red Kites as the players struggled to find any rhythm and most attempts on goal were scuffed, misdirected or just plain feeble! However, somehow the pattern was broken and Shane Cheeseman gave the home side the lead when the keeper failed to hold onto his 14th. minute effort after he'd given the final defender the slip. Farleigh replied after 27 minutes with a close range volley from a lofted ball into the area before Shane Rideout scored the first of his three goals when he turned quickly & shot home with the keeper out of position. This was in first half stoppage time and there was soon a general movement towards the warmth of the clubroom where hot drinks were most welcome. Far too soon, it seemed, it was back to the chilly winds outside for what turned out to be a much better second period.

A 62nd. minute shot from distance brought the scores level again, but then Sheerwater responded to the need for more urgency and banged in three more in five minutes to make the tie safe. Another game was continuing on the outer pitch as I left, but I decided not to stay & watch!

Added the JDW's in Farnborough & Aldershot. Most interesting beer was in the latter : Crafty Brewing Company's Loxhill Biscuit (3.8%) which had plenty of flavour and was the first time I'd come across anything from this brewery

(This post was edited by Trevor P on Jan 14, 2018, 7:51 AM)

http://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=848873;page=2;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;guest=229053875

Archived