Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Thurrock v Enfield Town

seemgee

We're certainly a frustrating watch at the moment so I'm not surprised attendances are dwindling. Spurs v Arsenal won't help on Saturday and Lowestoft is both too far for a Tuesday evening and I'm sure some won't go on principle after what happened last time.

On the plus side, our squad is looking as strong as it has all season so the management have done a good job in bringing in fresh faces - I'm not sure they're yet being used in the correct way. The Met Police result was incredibly disappointing but some promise was shown in the manner of the performance, at least for part of the game.

Thurrock was different in that the one step forward was followed by 3 steps back - until the last 15 mins when Liam and Sam made a real difference. Along with Joe, Sam has consistently been our best performer so I've no idea why he was on the bench in the first place (unless injured/ill - didn't look like it when he came on).

We'll look better again when Aaron returns - he was there on Saturday so I assume was still ill?

We seem to be overthinking the team tactics at the moment - I'd like to see the creative players given an opportunity to go and play their game rather than being ham-strung by restrictive team shape. It was very evident to  me that the team was not well balanced from the start on Saturday. Playing 3 centre backs, the two wing backs have got to get forward more than they did. There were some bright moments from Mickey & Samir when they did get forward but both were forced back far too deep, admittedly perhaps by the way Thurrock played. Also our 3 centre backs (and the 2 not playing) are all too similar - we need a bit more mobility in there to help with the lack of legs. One of our best centre backs in recent years was Craig McKay - seemingly too small to play that role but his agility and speed of thought helped the more immobile centre backs.

With Tyler playing in the hole behind the striker we were severely lacking on the left - a fact that was pointed out to Andy by one of his players in the first half. Whilst I can see why Tyler might like to play in that role, for me he's a winger on either side as his major strength is running at defenders with the ball, much like Aaron.

Until that last 15 mins I didn't understand our tactics at all in the second half. Replacing Dan Rumens, who was no worse than the other 2, with Simon Thomas was presumably meant to give us more up front but we just ended up playing Brad Wadkins out of position, either on the left or in the whole. I've only seen him for 2 games but he's clearly a leader of the line (and looks a good one at that), if the likes of Tyler, Aaron, Mickey & Samir can feed him regularly.

I really do hope Andy and Darren can bring all this together before its too late. I don't think anybody's questioning their commitment but ultimately football's a results game and the trapdoor is looming for the team. 

I’m not sure that you can tell whether a player is good enough when they only get minutes in games that are already lost! Is that a fair trial? If his stats were shown he’s probably got the same ratio of goals as many of the other forwards. If the manager is so right about these young players not being good enough, he certainly isn’t right about the ones he is playing!

Can't add a thing to the last two comments. After all I have been saying similar things for weeks.

B-T-Goal you must have been listening behind the same door as me. Almost word perfect!!! 

Good job AL doesn't have to give bonuses for goals not scored otherwise we would have to double the entrance fees.

I just hope that we get some points tonight so we can consolidate our position.

But eve so I believe that will not get the Board of the hook from having to make a decision soon. The feeling within the club is running too high. 

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

Totally agree 4wembleyfinals.

I have never felt tensions running so high at our club for a very long while

Andy has had 36 games all without a recognised left back and he still hasn't addressed that issue.

He continues to play players out of posistion with no game plan imo.

The board must act soon.