Welcome to the new software - Please read! Read more... ×
Fans Focus - Non League football clubs
Sign in to follow this  

PocketRocket writes that “football/sport should be an avenue where politics, past history and personal opinions should be put aside” and on the surface that sounds laudable, but as Theo notes “sport has been used as a political football for as long as I can remember”.

If we take our little club and look at decisions taken since the beginning of the season, I can think of at least three political (with a small ‘p’) decisions.

The first was the decision not to continue with the services of Montel Moore. He was accused of an extremely serious crime. The phrase ‘accused of’ is particularly important here. As far as I am aware, he has not been found guilty. The justice system in the country finds people innocent until proven guilty. However, that didn’t seem to apply in Montel’s case. The current socio-political climate seemingly would not allow Montel to continue playing for us. There was no governmental or legal pressure to stop him playing, and not all clubs, and certainly not all countries, would have come to the same decision. So why did we? Perhaps he was simply seen as a bit of an embarrassment; someone who might tarnish the image of a ‘family’, ‘all-inclusive’ club. Whatever the precise reasons, a political decision was taken not to have him around anymore. At the same time, the club could be seen to be taking the moral (if not legal) high ground by Making A Stand.

The second political decision revolved around the bookies’ prize-money. That has been, as is currently being, debated on another thread, so there’s no need to go into detail here. Suffice to say that, once again, there was no higher pressure to take the decision. It was simply ‘the right thing to do’ to Make A Stand.

The third decision was that to participate in the ‘Sugar Smart’ initiative. This is a campaign explicitly designed to change people’s behaviour and lifestyle. Again, it is regarded as ‘the right thing to do’; something which the club can Make A Stand to support.

I’m not making any judgements on the decisions taken in relation to the above issues, but simply pointing out that the club can and does make decisions based on ‘the right thing to do’ according to the on-going socio-political climate. However, these decisions were all rather easy ones. It’s much more difficult to come to a decision when more serious issues are concerned, such as, for example, ‘ethnic cleaning’. It’s much easier to do as PocketRocket suggests and not “allow politics to ruin the normal mans/woman’s freedom to enjoy what is meant to be a footballing festival”. 

Good post BTG. As a school governor it was always the tory placemen who would always state, "Let's not make this political" whenever a matter of funding or equal opportunities came up.

Life is political!

The main concern I think is consistency. Do I have any real objection to this tournament? No, like it’s been said, the players took no part in the atrocities and many of the atrocities were years ago under different regimes. But I also believed Montel should of stayed on and we should keep the gambling money. I’m being consistent. The people on here who have said let’s keep politics out of football and allow the tournament, well you haven’t kept politics out of football. You have let them in and as a result we have less money and are minus our best player. Stop the hypocrisy

ETFC17- you’re painting life as being so simple, I challenge anyone who hasn’t said one thing and then done something the opposite at some time in their lives.

Implying hypocrisy is harsh on a voluntary organisation which tries to do the right things and behold itself as a community hub/example for everyone. This has to be weighed up with serious business acumen too. You’ll always get swinging decision making, but I think the club has probably got all 3 of your quoted examples correct.

1/ Montel- an ongoing and very serious case. It’s probably best to protect him from the ‘stupid supporter/opposition player’ comments (home+away fans) and for the club to consider how it’s ladies section would feel about his presence during this period, although innocent till proven guilty. I.e Ben Stokes but this is a far more serious accusation.

2/ I agree with the anti Betting.net ethos put forward by the director on AGM night solely on the basis the league sold its sole for a poultry £250 monthly star team award yet giving an otherwise unheard of gambling group the platform to 1,000’s of Isthmian League associates/Members through their Clubs to promote themselves, that’s scandalous.

3- CONIFA is who the club are dealing with, however I’d still support the club for the right ££ if it were the Paddy Power World Cup ,

Every scenario must be judged on its merits and what effect it will have firstly on the club as a whole and it being weighed up as a proclaimed epicentre for the community to enjoy.

Hope I’ve been clear.

Well said PocketRocket, thank goodness for the voice of reason and commonsense. I am sure your thoughts represent the views of the majority of our members, if not a few.

The teams involved in the CONIFA World Football Cup 2018 are travelling thousands of miles to represent their country in this competition. It is a great honour that our Club has been chosen to host a number of matches at the QE2 Stadium, and we should all be incredibly proud, and do everything we can to assist in making it a great success, in the eyes of the football world. It is a great opportunity to showcase our Club, and put us well and truly on the map, both home and overseas.

No pocket rocket you have not been clear because you are distorting the truth. The gambling call was made for personal reasons because he knew a prolific gambler, nothing to do with the story you just told. He even mentioned the reasons I stated before announcing it. It’s nothing to do with the specific firm in question. And the montel case was also nothing to do with protecting the player, the reasons given were to show we are a “family club” , protecting the player wasent even brought into it.

At least if you are going to come back , get your facts right before making up stories that played no role in the decision

It seems that your enthusiasm for CNIFA has over taken you this time and you have made some sweeping statements which are no doubt induced by your euphoria for the competition.

I find it difficult to accept the concept of the club being put on the world stage.

For a start several of the contestants in the competition are regarded as rogue states by the United Nations and from whom we have received a number of war refugees.

In the case of Abkhazia , who I have never heard until a few days ago, even though I have travelled the Black Sea on numerous occasions, and whose atrocities in Georgia I have since read is only recognised by Russia and 3 other members of the UN. Two of these are heavily underwritten by Russia. Plus 3 states who hold a similar status to that of Abkhazia.

Many of the other competitors are only small regional entities in their counties. So I find it hard to accept the concept of our world wide fame.

Being in a position as to only knowing what is going on around the club, from what I read, perhaps we are all becoming a bit too political and I will try to refrain from comment on this subject again.

I also think you are being a bit presumptive in your ascertain to PC that the majority or if not a few members agree with him. By the way which of them is it, you seem to be edging your bets which is really not allowed. 

It seems that EFTC17 strong reply to PC may sway the vote. He has mine.

By the way I never gamble, not because I think it'd evil but because I hate losing my hard earned money.

Finally, on a lighter note, I often wonder why we are always being persuaded to get behind the Board etc. I have only just remembered what a ministerial client used to say. " I am always behind the PM, it's the best place for you to see what he is getting up to."  

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

Sorry just noted a spelling error, when I say ascertain to PC, I meant assertion to PC. Must try to be correct when talking down from a high horse. IF you spot any other errors put it down to old age.

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

** LATEST NEWS **

News just released, and what an honour for our Club and the Borough of Enfield, Town's Queen Elizabeth II Stadium has been chosen to host the 2018 CONIFA World Football Cup Final on Saturday 9th June at 6.00pm, plus the Bronze Medal 3rd place match, on the same day at 3.00pm.

This prestigious tournament is attracting widespread interest, and tickets are now available on general sale online. Early booking is strongly recommended. Don't miss out, diary this date, and book now to avoid disappointment. All football supporters welcome.

More updates to follow.

" NOT LONG TO GO NOW "

As we bask in this lovely hot sunshine, a gentle reminder that the 2018 CONIFA Football World Cup kicks-off at our fantastic Queen Elizabeth II Stadium, the proud home of Enfield Town Football Club, in just 16 short days time.

Ticket sales are going well, there is a lot of interest in this competition, and a great deal of work going on at our Club to make it a great success. Everyone is welcome, and it is an unmissable opportunity, for all football supporters, to come along and enjoy watching some of the world's smaller countries perform in this prestigious tournament.

I have just reserved my hotel accommodation, and purchased my tickets for the opening day and Final day matches, and apart from a 200-mile round journey for both days, I am really looking forward to the occasion, and to seeing plenty of Towner's in attendance.

Full details of the matches we are hosting at the QE2 Stadium, plus ticket booking information, can be found on the ETFC Official website.

Come along and enjoy the occasion. See you there !

"MORE BREAKING NEWS"

Two weeks today (Thursday 31st May) sees the start of the CONIFA Football World Cup 2018 and it is right on our own doorstep.

In case you missed the earlier news release on social media, you will be interested to hear that former FIFA World Cup Final, Champions League Final, FA Cup Final, and Premier Leagues top referee MARK CLATTENBURG will be refereeing at this year's CONIFA Football World Cup Tournament, including the Final, to be played at the Queen Elizabeth II Stadium, home of Enfield Town Football Club.

Tickets are on sale now to the general public, for all the Group B games we are hosting, including the 3rd/4th place decider and Grand Final, to be played on Saturday 9th June 2018.

Don't leave things to the last minute, get onboard now and be part of this eagerly awaited summer football festival.

Book your ticket(s) today. Everyone welcome.

http:// www.conifa.org/en/wfc-2018-tickets/