Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Has Twitter contributed to the slow death of this forum?

Smallholder - I thought that you has disappeared as quickly as you came. I would be interested to know what became of Loosely and so would a poster called Basil-Don, he never forgave Loosely for stealing his girlfriend off him a number of years ago in a cad like fashion, it was appalling and dis-honourable behaviour. Anyway at least he got his comeuppance with the Southill Alexander fiasco when the Club resigned from the Bedfordshire League in January 2011 and I expect it cost him a pretty penny too.

Smallholder - That was your twelfth post, keep up the good work. The last I heard of Loosely was in December 2013 when he was apparently on a cruise on Cunard's Queen Victoria sailing around the Canaries and Madeira with his other half. He always enjoyed the finer things in life but bit off far more than he could chew at Southill Alexander when thinking he could run a Football Club, Uncle Urchin at Hornchurch set it all up on a plate for him with funding and playing at the palatial Carlsberg Stadium in Biggleswade but he still managed to make a pigs ear of it. 

Edited by Rhodes

Savagebee - Talking of Southill Alexander, there are some interesting former posters on this particular thread including Basil-Don who I mentioned to Smallholder, also Coupwhatcoup posted and Cup of tea, remember him, those were the days weren't they:

5 hours ago, Rhodes said:

Savagebee - Talking of Southill Alexander, there are some interesting former posters on this particular thread including Basil-Don who I mentioned to Smallholder, also Coupwhatcoup posted and Cup of tea, remember him, those were the days weren't they:

Cup of Tea is still about (Last visited 7 hours ago)

I remember Eastside Urchin and missunderstood.

What about the constant war on here seasons ago between Hornchurch and Romford. Remember 'Uncle' ??

Big J R - Uncle Urchin you mean, I have met him a number of times, albeit not recently, and he was the nicest and most generous guy you could possibly imagine, he ran a winter ice rink over in Shepherds Bush, on the Green not far from Loftus Road, and I took three of my kids over there with a friend of theirs, they had the time of their lives and I never once had to put my hand in my pocket no matter how hard I tried to force money into Uncle Urchin's hand, he even gave the kids hats and socks, I still have a photo from the day as it was so memorable, I'll never forget it:

No photo description available.

Edited by Rhodes

Big J R - I believe Uncle Urchin was a double glazing salesman by trade, that's probably why, as you said, he went on about them quite a bit on the Forum back in the day, it's a competitive market. He did however have his finger in lots of pies and irons in the fire, Southill Alexander Football Club was one and it was a terribly sad day for him, on 12 January 2011, when the Club he had been so instrumental in creating announced that they were not continuing and pulled out of the Bedfordshire County League Premier Division. Unc, as he was affectionately known, had put all the infrastructure firmly in place with help from his many contacts, particularly Wader from this Forum, and then, perhaps naively, handed over the Club, lock, stock and barrel, to Loosely to run as he saw fit with funding, sponsorship and a groundshare deal with Biggleswade Town at their Carlsberg Stadium, only a year after it had opened in August 2008 and which Wader had pretty much built with his bare hands. It caused Unc a great deal of embarrassment when Loosely somehow managed to make such a horlicks and pigs ear of it all as he had no idea whatsoever of how to run a Football Club:   

13 hours ago, Rhodes said:

Big J R - I believe Uncle Urchin was a double glazing salesman by trade, that's probably why, as you said, he went on about them quite a bit on the Forum back in the day, it's a competitive market. He did however have his finger in lots of pies and irons in the fire, Southill Alexander Football Club was one and it was a terribly sad day for him, on 12 January 2011, when the Club he had been so instrumental in creating announced that they were not continuing and pulled out of the Bedfordshire County League Premier Division. Unc, as he was affectionately known, had put all the infrastructure firmly in place with help from his many contacts, particularly Wader from this Forum, and then, perhaps naively, handed over the Club, lock, stock and barrel, to Loosely to run as he saw fit with funding, sponsorship and a groundshare deal with Biggleswade Town at their Carlsberg Stadium, only a year after it had opened in August 2008 and which Wader had pretty much built with his bare hands. It caused Unc a great deal of embarrassment when Loosely somehow managed to make such a horlicks and pigs ear of it all as he had no idea whatsoever of how to run a Football Club:   

That topic was a interesting read.

They don't make topics like that anymore ?

Savagebee - Yes and Pink Panther was a real character wasn't he, they don't make posters like that anymore. I just hope that Smallholder takes the time to read that thread, particularly some of Basil-Don's posts, I painstakingly drafted Southill Alexander's Constitution, Business Plan and Equal Opportunities Plan for the Club but didn't get a word of thanks from Loosely.

On 06/05/2020 at 10:52, Rhodes said:

Another blast from the past ?

32 minutes ago, Smallholder said:

I read the 'quote of the month thread'. Hilarious.

That's thirteen posts and counting, I'm impressed. For your information Football Man childishly created so called 'quote of the month', it was his 'brainchild' however the only thing was that he made up the majority of quotes himself

Savagebee - There are some real old names on that 'Strange, Very Strange' thread aren't there, Theabbeyabbott, Blackballed, Beachboys, Whatsthepoint, Diz, Serious Sid, NotTheRealSteve and of course Coupwotcoup who I met once as Forum posters organised a drink one night at the Hamilton Hall Wetherspoons pub on Liverpool Street station, that was some night, well what I can remember of it.

Savagebee - I know Southill Alexander isn't, or rather wasn't, SSML related however they did have some players playing for them who had previously plied their trade in the SSML and their Assistant Head Coach was the excellent Tony Armitage who was later at Codicote and Tring Athletic. It was also interesting that the Club originally applied to join the SSML for the 2009/10 campaign but I recall they got knocked back at the Management Board meeting in May 2009 and then hurriedly had to go cap in hand to the Bedfordshire County League to seek acceptance for the new season: 

An entirely self-appointed Board of Directors decided to fill in the gaps, now they are nearly ready to share the infrastructure they have put in place for those interested to join them in owning their own club - one which will start playing in the 2009/2010 season. SAFC's Board of Directors have agreed a groundshare with Biggleswade Town FC and Southill Alexander have applied to join the Spartan South Midland Football League. We hope to be accepted into Division One and are waiting to hear whether the application will be successful following the League's Management Committee meeting in mid-May.

On ‎11‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 10:07, Rhodes said:

It was also interesting that the Club originally applied to join the SSML for the 2009/10 campaign but I recall they got knocked back at the Management Board meeting in May 2009 and then hurriedly had to go cap in hand to the Bedfordshire County League to seek acceptance for the new season: 

Savagebee - I have unearthed the Minutes of the 28 May 2009 SSML Management Committee meeting, I don't know whether Karen was present but I vaguely remember now that Southill Alexander were reliably informed, prior to that meeting, that 'there was no room at the inn' so they hurriedly approached the Bedfordshire County League who, luckily for them, agreed to accept the desperate Club however they were not best pleased by the late application. This was because Southill Alexander were so certain they would be accepted, and welcomed with open arms, into the SSML that they had put all their eggs in one basket:

Minutes of the SSMFL Management Committee meeting - 28 May 2009 
4.3. At this point the Committee considered the likelihood that there would be a vacancy in the constitution [because SLeB looked like being ejected]. Of the other clubs who had applied for membership, they had been advised that following the last meeting there were no vacancies. It was advised that Southill Alexander had consequently applied and been accepted into the Bedfordshire League. This left MK Wanderers and Park View, from whom no further contact had been received. After lengthy consideration, it was also agreed that MK Wanderers, an FA Charter club, be re-admitted following their success in obtaining a 10-year lease for their ground and providing the committee with other necessary assurances. They would be placed in Division Two.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to keep coming back to Southill Alexander, it's sadly no surprise that the Club disappeared as quickly as it came into existence yet their demise could have easily been avoided had its Chairman (Loosely) not been so clueless with a total lack of awareness and knowledge of how to run a football club. Despite having all the infrastructure firmly in place, and set up on a silver platter for him by Uncle Urchin at Hornchurch, with funding, sponsorship, playing kit, the best contacts on tap to turn to for advice and playing at the Carlsberg Stadium in Biggleswade he still somehow managed to make a total pigs ear of it largely because he always thought he knew far better than anybody else and was too proud to ask for help when the going started to get tough, he thought it would all be a walk in the park and he could sit back and watch the money roll in from an annual membership and shares costing £25 each. He even managed to upset Assistant Manager Tony Armitage who has had spells at Tring Athletic and Codicote and is the nicest guy you can possibly imagine, when Tony, being the professional he is, simply asked for new cones, bibs, balls and other training equipment it was like asking for the earth and the Chairman bit his head off for daring to ask, he never liked Tony for some reason. Anyway here are some links with video footage and photographs from when The Cold End visited the Carlsberg Stadium, firstly on 10 October 2009 for a Bedfordshire FA Senior Trophy tie against The 61 FC (Luton), secondly on 10 March 2010 for a Bedfordshire County League Premier Division game with Renhold United and thirdly on 4 August 2010 for a pre-season friendly against Waltham Forest. Part of Southill Alexander's trouble was also that every away Club raised their game 100% when visiting the palatial and brand new Carlsberg Stadium, it was like playing at Wembley, Old Trafford and the Emirates combined for the likes of The 61 FC (Luton) who, to prove a point, won that Bedfordshire FA Senior Trophy First Round tie 4-3:

http://thecoldend.blogspot.com/2009/10/seven-goal-thriller-in-bedfordshire.html

http://thecoldend.blogspot.com/2010/03/southill-alexander-ease-past-renhold.html

http://thecoldend.blogspot.com/2010/08/east-london-stags-triumph-over.html

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎06‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 17:52, Rhodes said:

Big J R - Uncle Urchin you mean, I have met him a number of times, albeit not recently, and he was the nicest and most generous guy you could possibly imagine, he ran a winter ice rink over in Shepherds Bush, on the Green not far from Loftus Road, and I took three of my kids over there with a friend of theirs, they had the time of their lives and I never once had to put my hand in my pocket no matter how hard I tried to force money into Uncle Urchin's hand, he even gave the kids hats and socks, I still have a photo from the day as it was so memorable, I'll never forget it:

Smallholder - That's 21 posts and counting. Where did you hear that about Uncle Urchin out of interest, you obviously haven't read my post above properly, I forgot to mention that he even offered to pay for the kids McDonalds when I went over the road from the ice rink on Shepherds Bush Green to get their lunch.

Edited by Rhodes