Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ash Trees 1 Blues 1

Swifty

Opening night (okay, afternoon) for our new look team, and a good performance which merited a draw.

Hertford Town combined skill with a bit of old school feistiness and somehow got away with two fewer bookings than us but, in a tight game at first, they looked the more likely to score and did so with an unstoppable 20 yard top corner volley from Charlie Ruff in the 56th minute. Up to then we'd shown no lack of tenacity or commitment but needed that little bit more 'oomph' up front which we got with the introduction of the returning Kofi Lockhart-Adams, who made the difference. He latched onto a neat James Cottee pass and hit a low fizzing diagonal cross which was parried into the path of Bradley Wilson who gobbled up the chance in the 71st minute. After that it was end to end and either side could have won but it would have been hard on the other team.

The subtle blend of the retained lads and the new recruits did well. Glad to see Weighty stay for another season and he put in a typical Weighty performance. Everyone had at least an okay to good game, most of the new lads had at least a good game, and I was particularly impressed with the waspish Wilson and the marauding Tom Dilloway. Talking of wasps, if anyone knows how to get rid of that pesky nest of varmits near the clubhouse, the club would be very grateful! 

Thanks to Guru Ben for writing a large amount of info on our new squad which he gave me personally before the game. Very much appreciated.

A good start, lads - onwards and upwards!

Enjoyed today's game and the new lads all did pretty well and we have the makings of a good side I feel...

I though Hertford edged the game having a few more chances but dragged several shots wide of the uprights... So pleased with a draw overall from the 90 mins...... It was a spectacular goal and was applauded by us fans at the other end of the ground in line with the strike...

Great save from Liam near the end tipping over the bar and I really like the look of Warren, strong powerful and quick....

Keep up the good work lads  :applause:

Four points to make having read the website match report.... 

1) Sorry, I didn't realise Hertford had two players booked - I only thought it was one

2) There was next to no backchat or whinging in the game which was refreshing (probably due to the new strict edicts on dissent), and the match was played in good spirit

3) The ref was unfussy, handled the bookings correctly and didn't get too much wrong

4) I didn't know we had a scoreboard! Can we have one placed on top of the goal end 'Dave Baker Stand' for wayward shots to aim at?   :lol:

A very encouraging start to the season especially as there were only 4 players from last season's squad. We looked very strong in the first 20 and thought we would breeze past Hertford but they got stronger as the game went on and created a few chances in addition to their excellent goal after the break. I was impressed with our no-nonsense style of defending. These ex Villa players obviously have a healthy dislike for conceding goals. 

We looked promising going forward but Kofi's extra class when he came on the hour made the difference. With Kofi and James up front, I can see us doing well.

It surely must be a first for everyone to praise the officials, the ref was calm, decisive, played the advantage and kept up with play as the did the linesmen. Maybe it helped that they were all young.

1) Sorry, I didn't realise Hertford had two players booked - I only thought it was one

Yep I was gonna mention that but felt it rude to correct you  ;)

Archived