Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

All weather surfaces.

peter eaton

Not heard anything to that effect Peter

but there will always be scare mongers

We had a testimonial for a mate of mine Bedfint Green at BSFC and it played lovely

i still think they are the way forward for non league as the amount of revenue they create in total with limited maintenance is really a no brainer and IF the initial outlay can be found if used correctly it definitely pays for itself and provide a fantastic revenue stream

Of course that’s all in my opinion although some of it is fact

Good to see you back Pete

Agree with much that you say Weebs,just posted it, because locally in Croydon,the local authority has plans for 3 all weather pitches,with a grant from the FA at Purley Way,Ashburton Park playing fields.However a local website' Inside Croydon 'carried an article about Artificial Surfaces.

There are two potential issues:

i) The carcinogenic properties of the rubber crumb. This can be overcome by a few different options. Sealing the pellets with a sealant that stops the potentially (and they are only potentially in the right combination of circumstances) dangerous chemicals escaping. The other is using a cork crumb rather than a rubber crumb. Both obviously come at a greater cost than the standard rubber crumb, but what price the possible future health of players?

ii) Infection of players with wounds. The artificial surfaces are sterile when they go down. However, as any sterile surface does, it will attract bacteria. Unlike grass pitches, there are no living beings in the ground or on the surface that will counter those bacteria so they breed and hence if a player gets a cut on the pitch, it has more chance of picking up an infection. It's not normally anything that needs more than a few antibiotics, but it is a possibility. Again it is reasonably easily solved by a regular spraying of disinfectant on the surface, but again that does cost money.

I suspect clubs are not made aware of these risks when the pitches are installed, but groundsmen are being educated by their various bodies and should therefore be communicating to their clubs the risks and the options.

I haven't been down to the new all signing all dancing stadium at Meadowbank as of yet, though I have heard several people mentioning the amount of black rubber pieces appearing during a game.

Archived