Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Enfield Town v Brightingsea Regent

seemgee

Having been absent for a number of weeks it is not for me to make judgements. However, their seems a cosensus amongst todays submission that we need somesort of change. The one suggestion, common in a number of submissions, is that Billy Bricknell needs a partner. After all he didn't score all those goals last year without on his own without support from another to share the load.

41 minutes ago, 4wembleyfinals said:

Having been absent for a number of weeks it is not for me to make judgements. However, their seems a cosensus amongst todays submission that we need somesort of change. The one suggestion, common in a number of submissions, is that Billy Bricknell needs a partner. After all he didn't score all those goals last year without on his own without support from another to share the load.

Liam could support Billy imo.

Firstly, thanks for not pointing out my many typo errors in my previous post. Just got back from a wine tasting, hic, when I rote it. 

My opinions on what Liam still has to offer have been well versed by me since his return. Consequently, I have to agree with the previous posts that he should be given an opportunity to form a partnership with Billy. That is unless we come up with some one better.

We will just have to wait and see what transpires in the next few weeks. 

By the way what a fantastic free kick taken by him in the recent U23 team's game.

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

less than two years ago Liam was sitting on the bench for a struggling Cheshunt team... Why on earth he could be seen as the answer to our problems baffles me.... in my opinion he is not even Ryman north level these days and the fact AL resigned him showed what a negative backward looking manager he is....Get some pace up front to play with BB ... stop looking backwards and stop being satisfied with mediocrity.... if we continue to do this the club will just stall.....

I'm of the view that Hope still has something to offer - he's never been a player blessed with loads of pace, but he has a football brain and clearly an eye for goal. I think he's said himself that this season has been the first for a while where he's had a proper pre-season, and he feels fit - he certainly impressed me the couple of times I saw him early season. When he came off the bench on Tuesday night, his hold up play was decent - he knows how to find space and what to do with the ball when he gets it, so that we maintain possession. Also won a couple of clever free kicks in dangerous positions where he drew a slight foul from the defender and made the most of it.

Whether he's the answer as a starter remains to be seen, fitness for 90 minutes could be an issue and we then have the dilemma of who to leave out, and what formation to play. One thing I will say is that I don't think it's a backward step re-signing him - I doubt there are many forwards capable of playing at this level who would be happy to be a backup striker, with a lot of bench time. With Bricknell injured at the start of the season, I'm convinced that we wouldn't have started the season as well as we did without Liam in the squad, so for me the decision to sign him has already paid off. Clearly an excellent club man, and a fantastic servant to Town over the years whose goalscoring record speaks for itself.

I'll caveat this with the statement that football is all about opinions, and this is mine: Tuesday was incredibly frustrating, as it's a game we really should have put to bed. Had we taken one of our first half chances, I think we would have scored more and won comfortably. That said, I don't think we played well: we looked sluggish at times, didn't move the ball quickly enough, lacked the right decision making around their penalty area and were wasteful in front of goal. On another night, Bricknell could have had a hat-trick. Agreed about not liking us playing it long (e.g. Sayoud is never going to win headers against their centre halves, so why bother?), but at times Wright's kicking can be so accurate that early long balls to the wings can get us on the front foot quickly and should be used. Stand out performances for me were Greene (tricky and produced a couple of superb balls in that were begging to be converted), Blackman (full of energy, drive and clearly cares) and Sutton (who I think is excellent defensively, comfortable in possession, links well going forward and is clearly the left footed left back that we were missing all last season). Johnson deserves a shout as well, he's very consistent in his role, shielding the back four, winning back possession and trying to move the ball quickly. I'm still optimistic when I look at our squad, but we absolutely have to start winning games like these, especially at home if we want to be challenging.

The reason it's been quite is some only pipe up when we don't win a few games.

Theodopilous, what is your vendetta against certain people? Andy Leese and Liam Hope in particular? Are you actually an ETFC supporter? At the very least, both men seem to me to be well mannered gentlemen who at the very least deserve a little more respect in the way they are talked of even it is your opinion that they are not of the standard you would like there are constructive ways to articulate that view. One is our manager and one is our all time leading goal scorer so shouldn’t we get behind them? 

This thread has has made me question how much the 12th man of supporters are to blame for our recent dip in form. 

All interesting reading. My experiences over the past year have made me mellow more. Therefore it occurs to me that a number of wins over the next few matches, which I hope I will be able to attend, our perspective will change. But I doubt if I will be so sanguine if this does not happen.

I believe that everyone who takes time to express there opinions on this forum has the well being of the club at heart, although their individual approach may not meet with every ones approval.

However I have to concur with CD remarks, it is always helps to be behind some one, because it's the best place to see what they are up to. But from what I have read I have no doubt that, even if I had formed part of the "12 man" group, I would have been as disappointed and disgruntled as many others. That is part and parcel of being a supporter. 

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

10 hours ago, Theodopolous said:

Absolutely all about opinions Barney.... that's what this forum is about...I've noticed it's gone a bit dead on here this season so it would be nice to read new posters and their views....  

I try to do that very same thing reply on here ..................... when I do nothing is added is it me or am I not in the "gang"

3 hours ago, CD Towner said:

Theodopilous, what is your vendetta against certain people? Andy Leese and Liam Hope in particular? Are you actually an ETFC supporter? At the very least, both men seem to me to be well mannered gentlemen who at the very least deserve a little more respect in the way they are talked of even it is your opinion that they are not of the standard you would like there are constructive ways to articulate that view. One is our manager and one is our all time leading goal scorer so shouldn’t we get behind them? 

This thread has has made me question how much the 12th man of supporters are to blame for our recent dip in form. 

I remember when we went to Havent and Waterloo and took points of them... they were top at the time... the next day I read their forum and supporters were calling for the managers head because they 'shouldn't be dropping points to the likes of us' I thought then... this is a team that has high expectations and won't settle for second best.... result promotion... it seems the majority here are quite happy to settle for mediocrity.... Yes Hope is the towns top goalscorer but so was Jimmy greaves but he doesn't get picked now....yes i have higher ambitions for the club but I'm not apologising for that... if you are happy for mediocrity then that's what you will get.... 

but i take and accept your point that it is a teams responsibility and it's unfair to pick out individuals who try their best...

Edited by Theodopolous

Hi all

I'm not an Andy in or Andy out man.....I just want the best for Enfield Town.

He and the team have done a brilliant job of getting a strong team together in a short space of time.

From Brad leaving the team is now unrecognisable.   

The last few games have been most frustrating.

We did play well the other night.  In phases.   MJ said the game felt like a loss as for all our effort we couldn't break them down.   Youngs is our closest player to a number 10 but teams are more than happy to sit back and realise they can invite us on.    I know some on here think the fans are getting on their back but we're only human.....the referee certainly didn't help the flow of the game and if he was being assessed I'd love to have known what they thought of his game management.

Don't get me wrong, I think our squad is filled with quality.

However, Billy needs support and all too often is isolated.   Our midfield work very hard but we have to keep more possession and too often look for the killer pass.   Quite often we also sit too deep and don't force enough errors.......Ryan and Matty made some great tackles the other night but the whole team should be doing this.

Would 4 2 3 1 suit Billy better with 3 mobile midfielders right behind him?

Not quite sure how the management will change things........however we can't keep on "dropping" points at home!