Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Urchin horror show

urchinman1961

Following the Urchins for 14 seasons I can just about count on one hand the times we have been given a football lesson on our own patch and this was one of them the game was over as a contest by half time 2 changes at.half.time and we looked a different team an early goal and plenty of chances to get a second but we seem.to run out of  steam and Lewes stepped up a gear and that was that deserved winners so that 4 defeats on the bounce admit in various competitions and the league leaders this Saturday hard to believe we were all singing their praises after bashing Folkstone I'm not disheartened as I'm an Urchin the end of the day and I'm sure the good times are.not to far away see you all at the weekend 

Don't really comment much on games any more, but tonight, poor, embarrassing and lacklustre really sums the game up for me tonight.

I know we've stepped up a league after winning promotion last season and no one said it would be easy, but when you get the impression that players don't even appear to want to be on the pitch by the way they play, with tonight's performance it does make you wonder.

Time for a wake-up call and a good kick up the ole backside!! 

Wakey Wakey! Coming up next, the two biggest sides of the league, Tonbridge and Margate, not going to be easy. However, as a long time Urchin, WE CAN beat anyone on our day!!

I honestly don't think we played badly. We may have defended poorly but Lewes moved the ball about very well and took their chances.  On the positive side we created a hatful of chances ourselves - Spence could easily have had a hat-trick (one superbly saved, one just past the post and a missed header at 3-1), Warner's missed one on one at 3-1.  Purcell, Saunders and Nana (superb save again) all went close.  Lewes also could have added to their 2 second half beakaways as we pushed on.

This, from a groundhopper ...

" Bostik Isthmian League Premier
Hornchurch Stadium
AFC Hornchurch 1 Lewes 5
Admission: £10 Paper available Attendance: 184 (inc 30 from Sussex)

New tick for me and a shortish journey for me on the Green line to Upminster Bridge and then a walk. I liked the ground, although its an athletic stadium, it doesn't have the open feel of any others with the pitch and the surrounds tight - I venture the gap between the two is wider at West Ham and the same as Arsenal.
Both sides have made steady starts and I was expecting a tight Step 3 encounter; far from it. This was a richly entertaining game; probably one of the best I've seen this season.
Lewes led on 3 with a fierce shot; as the defender lunged to block it, he merely diverted the ball over his own keeper and in. A completely unchallenged header on 17 increased the lead and another defensive calamity on 27 made it 0-3. By this time I'd made it over to the home shed and the rumblings from the home fans were ominous. The home side fashioned a couple of chances but they were snatched wide of the target to howls from the terrace. HT 0-3 and fully deserved.
Home side came out firing in the first 15 of the second half and had several half-chances before being awarded a penalty on 53 which was smartly finished. The Lewes fans looked worried. However, normal service was resumed on 72 with a well taken low finish. There was also a splendid save from the home keeper to tip a fierce shot over on 64. That pricked the home balloon and they looked done in for the remainder; things only worsening on 90+1 with the final goal. A fully deserved win and a credit to both sides for a great game of football. Back to hotel in 40.
"

We allowed Lewes to come through us and get to the back line on our own ground far too often! Clearly we are lacking in confidence with our form but we have to stand up to the opposition, especially when it feels like we are being run ragged. They grew in confidence when they scored and we could not match them until it was too late. We seemed much better when we had the ball than when we didn't and we have to work on that.

Saturday is a big game for a response and we need to show solidarity by being there as fans on Saturday and cheering on the team as we have done. We were still singing in the second half and that was pleasing. I said last night that we are a good team and we know it. I believe that when I say it, we can score goals and we can keep clean sheets. We did the right things in the FA Cup games and we need that back now for our league games.

Didn’t see the game but obviously not the best result. I would be concerned if we weren’t creating chances but it sounds as though we are. Think we had a bit of a dip in form after the fa cup exit last season and we bounced back strongly so let’s get behind the team and help them to pull it around starting Saturday 

I’m confused by how we are playing. We have had a number of games where we have played well and these have been where we have played a passing game. Where wingers have been been whipping in crosses for hopefully someone to be on the end of. Where the defence has been rock solid. Now Nathan being out is a real blow. I appreaciate that, but we have the a calibre of players to do well in this league but we must be consistent. Recently it’s been the same old routine:

• Callum’s long ball and surprise surprise it goes to Sean Marks who enviarably gets a nudge in the back and doesn’t connect. Result ball comes straight back at us. 
  • Jay does the throw in. And who to? Sean Marks who try’s to head back, but again the defence usually have their arms round him to frustrate the header. 
  • George can’t get shots off because the opposite now know how to stop him. 
  • Long ball after long ball doesn’t achieve anything. It has it’s place but let’s vary it please. 
  • Anyone from Tonbridge who spied on the game on Tuesday will know exactly our game plan and how to frustrate it.

I’ve lost count of the times I have heard the opposing supporters who sit near me say ‘all they do is boot it up’. It’s getting boring. Lewis were a well drilled team. There was clear direction and their passing was good and they showed hunger for the ball. We need to learn from that and if we do we can expect to do well. 

Archived