Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Lowestoft v Enfield Town

seemgee

Great result for the Town, and how good it feels to progress to the next round. Believe that this is the first time we have won at this ground, and it sounds like another very close match today. No regular updates to go on, so we'll have to wait for comments from the Town faithful, who made the long journey up to Suffolk, to find out more about this hard earned victory this afternoon. Well done to Liam for his last-minute  match-winning strike, and to Andy Leese and the rest of our players for achieving this result, and generating much-needed revenue for our Club from the FA Trophy prize fund. Let's hope the Draw is kind to us on Monday!

I agree "L" and like you I am looking forward to reading reports. I am afraid  my days travelling distances to see games have become rather limited. However, I am finding that waiting for the result certainly can be a little nerve racking.   

I am also pleased that Liam showed he can still take his chances. What ever some say he has retained his  ability to be in the right place at the right time. Some time soon I would like to see him on the pitch at the same time as Bricknell as I believe they would compliment one another.

I have read the report in the Non-League Paper and, it seems, that I really did go to Folkestone as they saw a different game to me. It was obviusly written by a disappointed Lowestoft fan.

Lowestoft were on top from most of the first half, used their wingers intelligently and with 2-3 players always at Bricknell's elbow as the sole striker we really did struggle creating openings. Lowestoft used the flanks intelligently wheras we decided that the middle 30 yards of the pitch was all that we needed. If we had gone in 2-3 goals down at half time it would have been a fair reflection of play but whilst Lowestoft wingmen showed true ability their strikers let them down. Also another good display by Wright.

Second half seemed to be a reprise of the first but the heavens opened and our superior fitness in the difficult conditions seemed to change the pattern of play. The manager brought on Parcell with about 15-20 minutes to go and Hope for Britnell around 5 minutes later. Hope does his usual and gets in there where it hurts and knocked in the winner with a minute of normal time left.

Why does the manager not partner Britnell with Hope from the start that would give our opponent's defenders a real headache and create more space for Britnell?

A rugged win which at the finish was just about deserved.

BTW I do know how to spell obviously.

Thanks Steph, for your very objective view. As you are aware I am an advocate of using Hope a long side Bricknell. I have said this on numerous occasions, that is unless we can find an even better combination.

However, I concede that while we continue to stay in our position near the top of the league the management has the right to feel justification in their methods.

That does not mean that our belief in trying a Hope and Brickell partnership does mean it can't be used..

Please god do not pair Liam and BB... that will give our midfield even less movement up front to try and find and will increase the hoofs upfield tenfold...I thought the manager found the answer pushing Parcell or Taffe up front wide and utilising Greenes qualities but obviously it was not something he wanted to continue with against Lowestoft and the result justified the tactics.. hopefully Saturday we will play to our strengths and let the opposition worry about us instead of the reverse ... 

Enjoyed yesterday’s game retrospectively at the time it was a bit close to call. 

Sorry to see Dan pick up an injury but pleased Rian got a chance to play having kept the bench warm for a while. 

Thought the Lowestoft 10 on loan from Ipswich was a constant threat but we defended well for the most part. 

A very good week for Town. 

Well, what a week with 3 great results. 

Saturday's performance was gritty, and Ryan Blackman described it perfectly on twitter - when you "win ugly".

Not that much to say, but always try and post when I've been as I know how much I appreciate reading other people's posts when I haven't been at the game.

First half was forgettable - both sides made a few potential chances, and Lowestoft probably shaded it. We battled hard (special mention to Johnston and Blackman - two of the first names on the team sheet at the moment) and tried to play but often elected to make the wrong decision, or take on one player too many.

Key incident was Dan Rumens going off - it was sudden, not sure if Maclean had time to warm up properly, but he came on and gave an assured performance as he did at the start of the season.

Second half and the conditions were atrocious - I lasted about 5 mins behind the goal before heading under cover - did mean the Town fans were together, and some good noise.

Even half overall, good running by Taffe, Greene has had a fantastic start to the season - but was quiet based on his high standards - and Mickey came on for him with about 20 left.

Consensus was we would all take 0-0 at that stage (I would have taken 0-0 at the start of the game!)

Bricknell for Hope caused discussion on the terraces as some favoured Brandon coming on instead, but once again Liam proved what a great asset he is to the club and scoring the crucial winner. It was karma as Lowestoft had just taken out Sam Youngs, and the goal came from the resultant free kick.

So, 3 big wins, first ever win at Lowestoft, and the team is improving  nicely.

We are still coming together as a team, but the team spirit and the battling is  there, and when we gel (Tonbridge) we are great to watch.

We tried to pass it around in what were difficult conditions.

So lots to be positive about - a good level of support at the game (last December, Leiston on a Tues night had just a handful of fans there - the turnout Saturday shows the level of optimism) - certainly more than 289 there!

I agree with the above that Hope and Bricknell could play together, and I am sure that Andy will need to use the whole squad as we enter Winter.

The strategic approach of smaller but stronger squad has worked so far - but we now have only 2 fit centre backs (does anyone know if Dan's injury is serious?) - what is our contingency if there is another injury there? Good to see some of the youngsters on loan, expect them to be on the bench and maybe starting sooner than later.

Fingers crossed for a good draw today!

Thanks BG for another informative report. I am glad to see that others agree with me about the merit of a Hope/Bricknell.  I accept that there are varied opinions on what Hope can bring to the team. But I still feel that Bricknell needs an experienced partner to share his load and what ever critics say Hope still thinks his football. Mickey Parcell's twitter on Hope speaks volumes.

But what ever happens in the future we are definitely an improved side. Long may it stay that way.

Thanks for the match report Raingod. I couldn’t agree more, it’s great to have a detailed review when you can’t make a game, which was the case for me this weekend.

I don’t remember us ever winning at Lowestoft before so great to finally do so! I agree on the centre half issues. We look light on options there with only 2 fit CBS and Rumens is probably our best defender. Could any of the current squad fill in if needs be? 

In in terms of centre forwards,  having witnessed most of our performances in recent weeks, it’s been clear that Brandon Adams is not ready to play in the starting XI though. Bricknell and Hope would be an interesting pairing and playing with 2 might just give more freedom to our wingers who at times seem caught between playing wide and joining the play in the middle. 

Is is there any news on the Sam Chaney injury? 

35 minutes ago, CD Towner said:

We look light on options there with only 2 fit CBS and Rumens is probably our best defender. Could any of the current squad fill in if needs be? 

I gather Sam Hatton has been something of a utility player for other clubs in the past, so suspect he could do a job at CB if required. Mickey Parcell could then play right back.

We could do with another CB though.

20 hours ago, Father Jack said:

No injury. Think it's a work commitments issue

Yes - I believe he is likely to play for the U23s tomorrow night which is great news.

15 hours ago, Father Jack said:

There I also Ben Jones, currently captaining our under 23s

So if  Rumens is not fit for Saturday, assume Ben Jones will be on our bench ..  did he play in any of our pre-season games? Can't picture him

Archived