Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

FA Trophy 10th November

MbrunoB

Theo,I am not sure whether by your reply you have misinterpreted the meaning of my previous post to be a critique of the club rather than of to days match. If so that was not my intention as I am in complete agreement with the view you have expressed, being a season ticket holder and member.

My observation was made solely about our method of play as I was somewhat disappointed that AL still keeps rigidly to the teams set up.

However, if we go on to be in a play-off position at the end of the year I will be the first to admit such a result would be a clear vindication of his methods.

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

No I understand what you were saying ...I think we are singing from the same hymn sheet there...surprised that you would consider a play off position and early exits from the major cups vindicating the managers decisions....just my opinion but I consider we have the squad to challenge for the title and to have made a few quid in the cups.... the FA cup result against Bedford was possibly the worst result/performance  I can recall.....

I am surprised at myself too. But as a result of my trials of the last 18 months I am trying to be a little more  placatory  in my comments. Yes I agree that our early exit from the two cup competition have cost us dearly. I have always believe you have to show a more attacking approach in these competitions from that which you would normally play in the league. This is because as each game has an immediate monetary award.

But when I wrote my comments this evening our interest in these cups had past us by. Therefore having got together a very capable squad AL has left himself only the league to show if his methods can bring us the success we all want. To me nothing less than that will vindicate his belief in the system in which the team continually play.

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

So what were the thoughts on the game....unfortunately couldn't make it yesterday.   Seems we deserved something out of it but just recently we don't always get what we deserve.   

Wonder now this season after such a strong start how many times we've been winning and gone on to lost or  drawing and gone on to lost.    Is this down to tactics or just loss of concentration.   As I've said previously, we have a really nice squad.......however not sure the performances/results link up together and certainly the cup runs(lack of them) certainly tell a tale.

Were you there yesterday?   Should we have got more out of it?

We were the dominant side and should really have progressed. The 2 goals were a result of errors on our part and it was only really those occasions where we gave the ball away that BT looked dangerous on the counter attack. 

I have to agree with previous posts. When will the management finally show some flexibility and play with a different system or at least adapt during the game? Our substitutions are direct, like for like replacements, made far too late in the game. I’d really like to see an example of us tactically reacting to the match situation accordingly. 

All being said, no panic from me at this stage. We have a good squad and are playing well but we must cut out the basic mistakes and be more clinical in putting the opposition away.

5 minutes ago, CD Towner said:

All being said, no panic from me at this stage. We have a good squad and are playing well but we must cut out the basic mistakes and be more clinical in putting the opposition away.

Its now mid-November. How long before we should panic about the inability of our squad to achieve it's potential?

It seems that there is an underlying agreement amongst members. That is that we have probably got together a team with the ability to do well in this league. It's now up to the playing management to use a system that enables them all to play at their full potential. 

The only purpose of sending on Chaney and Hope in the 82 and 88 minute was to take up time. In other words AL decided to take a draw with 10 minutes to go.

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

Seems like the natives are getting restless.... maybe It wasn't just a personal vendetta I had when I questioned the management and called for change weeks ago... can the club afford to blow what is a golden chance this season ... remember... no Billericay... leiston... Dulwich or Hendon this year ... with our budget we might not get the opportunity to form such a talented squad again with the majority all having experience of higher grade and league academies... if the management is unable to get the best out of them then get someone in who can... sorry that's the way football works whatever the division....he who dares wins... he who don't don't.....

Like you Theo, I believe many members thought that my comments, at the beginning of last season,  had some sort of personal prejudice against the appointment of AL.  What I said at the time were confined solely to what to expect from how AL's teams play and his brand of coaching. Consequently I agree in principal in what you said in your last post.

That said I do feel a change now would only disrupt the teams performance more. However it would  be a help to every one if the players feel as we do. In saying that I mean that they too believe a change in the team's system would be beneficial.  If that were the case it's still debatable as to whether the manager and coaches would be willing to discuss it. 

This is of course all conjecture on my part. So all that we can hope at this point a resurgence of wins, starting this week.  

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

Yes, yesterdays result was a massive disappointment to everyone who supports The Town, not least those of us who made the 70+ mile journey to Basingstoke, to support our guys in a difficult away cup-tie. As CD Towner confirmed in an earlier post, for much of the game we were the dominant side, and we certainly did not deserve to lose. Having taken a first half lead, Town were in control, until two unfortunate individual errors, late in the game, cost us the match.

Before some individuals play the blame game, having a go at our team, players, or our Manager, I suggest they read ETFC Press Officer Ken Brazier's excellent match report on the official website, which provides a very fair, well balanced account of the game.

Hopefully, our players will bounce back on Tuesday evening, against a good Worthing side, who are playing well and looking for promotion themselves this season. Should be a good match and we need everyone to get behind our guys, and lift them as they go for a win and another three points. See you there?

Is that the report that put 'Good news we now have no distractions'... well sorry I don't consider going out of the cups good news.... anyway I don't think supporters dissatisfaction is solely on Saturdays game as the comments on the report make clear ... it's solely on the managers inability to get the best out of the squad.... well that's what I gather reading a number of comments...

I again agree totally agree with you Theo. If I may I would like to add to your comments in answer to LHampton. 

Firstly it's to say, please read what is written. Very few comments are made against the players of the team but rather than how they are used.

Secondly to remind him that we are no longer a one owner club but a club owned by it's subscribed members. That being so all members reserve the right to verse opinions on all aspects of the Club, so long as they are not abusive and offensive. Our case is that we feel that the playing management are not making the most of our main asset, a strongly vitalised Team. Whether our representatives, the Board, takes any notice of our views and or wish pursue them is another matter.

That may sound a bit strident to some but you can't have it both ways. That is the difference between the former and the current governance of the club.

Finally, because we don't indulge in the use of old repeated cliches does not mean we don't care about the welfare of the club. 

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

4WF everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I certainly have no intention of spending my precious time debating cheap, ill-informed comments, on a national website, which would be a totally meaningless hot-air exercise,  and definitely not in the best interests of our Club.

You certainly don't need to remind me of anything to do with the old club, as I have a crystal clear recollection, you were not involved, and it has absolutely nothing to do with this discussion.

Tomorrow I shall be making a 200 mile round journey to the QE II Stadium, to support our team, and all the hardworking, loyal Towners who work tirelessly behind the scenes, to make our Club what it is today. If you wish to sound me out, to discuss your one-sided views, be my guest. Just don't expect me to agree with you! 

1 hour ago, Theodopolous said:

I think that insulting reply to a forum member making genuine comments on an open forum about purely football matters speaks volumes.... your right LH I don't know why you waste your precious time on here when you have nothing worthwhile to add....

Thanks, I'll take that as a compliment coming from a real gentleman like you !!!

I take on board what you say Father Jack and I do try to be civil on all occasions. But I have to reply to LH on one or two ascertains he has raised about me which I feel are in need of a reply.... which I hope you agree fall within the rules.

I am sorry LH that my previous post made you so angry. It was not my intention. However, I did find your reference about the "Old Club"  and other assumption about me slightly baffling. 

If you meant I have no knowledge of Enfield FC  then you are very mistaken. I go back as far as 1947. If you beat that then I hold up my hat to you. Not only was I a supporter, and being as discreet as I can so as not to break client confidentiality, on several occasions I was engaged professionally preparing financial data relating to the application to enter the football league in 1986 and pre the Lozarou purchase in the 90s. So I have a little knowledge as to how the Club was operated. 

The way you write suggests you held some position at the club at that time.  I certainly didn't but I was there and if you knew the principal characters involved you would understand that not everyone was privy to all matters, especially those which ran in conjunction with their private affairs. 

Finally, I have admitted on several occasions that my opinions may be in a minority but that is what discussion forums are about. May I now wish you avery good evening and safe journey tomorrow.

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

I went to one game as a kid when I had a free Saturday....but don't think that should count against me as a supporter.   Since giving up refereeing I've started to see more of the Town.

I really don't understand all the bickering.    Very sad.    Yes we want the best for the team.   Andy and assistants have assembled a great team.   That is not in doubt.

Yes we can debate formations and he should play....he shouldn't.  Games have been very entertaining this year..however there have also been disappointing results and cup performances to boot.

Could we be in a better position.....undoubtedly.    if you were asked at the start of the season would we take this league position YES.

My other team....who shall remain nameless.....very simple.   Support the team through thick and thin and get behind them.

Can we all get right behind the team and agree on that?