Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Families

Wivenhoe Urchin

We pride ourselves on being a family friendly club but we are really struggling to attract young families. I have seen a big drop off in recent seasons. I feel we have to come up with some incentives. Perhaps we can let one adult in free with another if they bring at least 1 child? Any other suggestions people have that might work long term to attract more fans?

A discounted family of four tickets?

I speak to away fans on how they attract people to their clubs as they stop to chat while I'm stewarding.  One that stood out was Dulwich, who really pushed the free tickets to local school kids, a different school for a different game. Our football club is in a huge area with plenty of schools (Cranham, Upminster, Hornchurch, Elm Park) it would be worth a try.

It's not just families who I feel we should attract. What about local unemployed people? How about a discounted rate for them (on proof of benefit at the turnstile).

If it means someone being able to get out for a couple of hours rather than being stuck indoors looking for work day after day, it could make a whole difference to them.

We have a huge youth setup with around 200 children and young adults taking part - that's where I would focus but unfortunately there seems no relationship between the youth teams that purport to represent AFC Hornchurch and the club itself.

As a grandad would I bring my 7 year old grand daughter to a game? No. Simply I would not want her to hear the language. Not from the supporters Riverside, but from the dog outside and from players on the pitch. If we could something about that then I would and bring my partner too.

Sorry just re-read my message obviously I meant the dug outs! 

Some good suggestions.

I bring this up as I was speaking to a friend at the game who used to come occasionally but a long time ago. He last remembers home crowds of 700 and it got me thinking of reasons as to why the drop has happened. 

The youth setup has got better and it makes sense to link it more closely to first team.

The language of anyone at the ground is just part of the passion. We have different places to watch the games and you can sit inside the clubhouse to watch if you want no offensive language.

This league is strong and the football has more quality than last year, so now is a good time to push up our attendances.

Sitting in the clubhouse with no atmosphere at all is not the flexibility needed to bring families back. I’ve been to grounds where With signage they make a point of this being a family friendly club and to tone down the language. The seating area near the toilets, clubhouse and refreshments could be a family area. It can be done just needs leadership to chnage the culture. They can still be plenty of passion!

Archived