Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Enfield Town v Kingstonian

seemgee

A disappointing home defeat against an in-form K's side, and a poor run of results for Town with six matches without a win. Be interesting to hear what peoples thoughts are on the match. We might not be banging the goals in at present, but our old boys certainly are. Two for Harry Ottaway, two for Mark Kirby in Haringey Boroughs 3-1 win over AFC Hornchurch, and (don't think I should mention this) three for Brandon Adams in Ware's 1-6 win today.

the good news is that now without the distractions of the play offs and the major cups we can now fully concentrate on the velocity cup coming up..... 

as for the game... Billy has neck ache from watching Joes punts upfield sail over his head... the midfield battled as always with no one in front of them in space.... the defence was splattered all over the place for their goal ....Hope came on in the 73rd minute instead of the 71st...a pretty even game with few chances with the midfields cancelling each other out.... probably a draw would have been fair..... still another depressing watch ... surely even the most staunch leese supporters on here must  be having slight concerns...

ps... I don't think anyone who understands football could fail to see that Adams is a bright young talent it's just a shame that certain people don't think that ability fits in to our future 

Edited by Theodopolous

Interesting to see Billy on his own in the right wing position during the first half! Just what do people expect him to do when he's on his own?

As for the match. I thought we were second best throughout. Kingstonian were more equipped, had a better formation and shape to their team and appeared to have loads more players on the park as they were everywhere.

Something has to change.

why don't linesmen stay in line with the keeper when taking a kick they might see the handballs by so many keepers as the go outside the box , why cant we try some of the under 23's squad ? when will we get back to winning ways

5 hours ago, andyetfc said:

Interesting to see Billy on his own in the right wing position during the first half! Just what do people expect him to do when he's on his own?

As for the match. I thought we were second best throughout. Kingstonian were more equipped, had a better formation and shape to their team and appeared to have loads more players on the park as they were everywhere.

Something has to change.

A better formation? One up front just like our formation.

My tuppence worth on the one up front debate - I think the main reason we lost that game yesterday is because we didn't get anybody close enough to Billy up front.

Our 'front three' yesterday were Billy, Sam Youngs (mainly) and Lewis Taaffe but Sam and Lewis were playing like wide players as those playing in that position have done most of this season. Micky Parcell rarely got forward at all - Remi a little more but not enough. Result, Billy isolated up front.

Now look at my other team, Liverpool - Mane, Firmino and Salah playing as a front three in a completely different way with superb movement and inter-change of positions between them. Key passes between those players and the crosses mainly coming from wide (which is important) from Andy Robertson & Trent Alexander-Arnold (or Joe Gomez when he plays there) ie the full backs.

Now I'm not saying, as good as some of our players are, that we have the quality to play like Liverpool. But Billy can't be enjoying his football at the moment and, for me, it's key that we get players closer to him.

Interestingly, I also attended the Brazil v Uruguay game at The Emirates - Firmino also up front there, playing with Neymar & Douglas Costa. Great front three, no? Actually, Douglas Costa stayed very wide (ineffective, taken off), Neymar played either very wide left or often came very deep (ineffective, other than scoring a winning penalty!). Result, Firmino barely got a kick and looked isolated up front. Wasn't the free-flowing football you'd expect from Brazil.

I'm not saying that 2 up front is always the way to go - managers need to mix it up and change their formations based on who they're playing, what form players are in etc etc. it used to be that many managers played one up front away from home and reverted to a different formation at home - think it was probably Chelsea that changed that and they've admittedly had a lot of success but didn't work out too well for them yesterday!

We were better yesterday than we have been in recent weeks - a draw would have been a fairer result against a good Kingstonian side. But we've got to find a way to get back to scoring goals and, at the moment, for me that needs more forwards on the pitch. Ironically, we lost another forward this week who scored a hat-trick yesterday so we're not currently blessed with options in that position...who'd be a manager?

it is a combination of how we set up and also our attitude during games.

Billy has been isolated all year long.

As a result of that we spend longer defending than attacking.      I honestly feel sorry for him as one of his best options along side him has now been given a proper chance elsewhere and we've seen numerous youngsters come and go which is a shame.

If people on here think it's not down to formations then please watch upcoming games and see the scraps he has to feed on......I don't mean Andy.

This season is turning into one of our strongest looking squads.....turning into a damp squib all too soon!!!