Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Enfield Town v Kingstonian

seemgee

Even though it was a Home Game I agreed to go away this weekend. The reason being is that even I am getting a little tired repeating my observation over the past month on what appears to be happening to our team.

Reading other other peoples comments it now seem that quite a number of contributors  are using the same song sheet as me. It is comforting to learn that so many, like me , are out of step.

Our detractors still seem to be using their well warn cliches without really adding anything to the debate. I have to say, however,  that I admire MB's brevity and stoicism when making his points. I am probably wrong but he along with LH give the impression that they have a greater vested interest than we ordinary supporters.

I am afraid " Brevity" has never been my forte but I will try my best by replying to his comment, that most teams have the same number of players as us, a single goalkeeper etc. Perhaps he could tell me why they seem to be better than us.

But numbers ,systems and quality of players are meaningless, especially players, unless a manager is able to bring their individual talents together in such a way that theu benefit the team After AL brought most of them together so presumably he new what they had to offer.

I sincerely hope that he has this attribute amongst his armour!!!! Otherwise in the words of Private Fraser " WE'RE DOOOOMED".

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

I don't believe Andy Leese is a bad manager he is just a bad manager of our squad and club... these things happen.... sometimes there's a fit and sometimes there isn't.... I don't believe for one minute the board have the appetite (or the money ) to make a change this season so as supporters it could be the case of writing off this season and probably the next because one things almost certain that any new manager that may be brought in won't have anything to work with....

Though depressing your post is a very astute observation Theo. I too don't think AL is intentionally a "Bad" manager. But from comments I heard last year from people with in the non-league fraternity, much of which I repeated on this forum following his appointment, he is well known for his reluctance to seek advice when things start to go wrong.  Before anyone castigates me saying this I would add these remarks only came with reference to his attitude to management. Some of my best friends in sport have been lovely people away from the game but as playing partners they were b........s.

Perhaps some of us have been spoilt by previous mangers. Eddie Mcluskey being my favourite both as a person and manager. I believe Brad Quinton had the makings even though I felt, like others, let down when he left. Because of the way our club is run it is desirable to have these virtues in our manager. After all we all have a vested interest as to what goes on. That is the very nature of the beast.

We can only hope that someone, with more clout than us, within the club, will start to question why we have suddenly hit a brick wall, especially after the win at Tonbridge, and how best it can be addressed. Hopefully sooner than later.

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

You simply cannot play Billy in such an isolated role. People on this forum have been saying this for weeks. 

I'm going to respectfully disagree with some of the above. Andy must be a bad manager if he is unable to adapt when it is clear that the system employed isn't working. Either the oppo have figured us out, or we were flattering to deceive with our early season form. Either way, a good manager would react and make appropriate changes.

I want Andy to succeed. I want ETFC to succeed. Neither are happening at present. Something needs to change.

33 minutes ago, The Crowing Cockerel said:

You simply cannot play Billy in such an isolated role. People on this forum have been saying this for weeks. 

I'm going to respectfully disagree with some of the above. Andy must be a bad manager if he is unable to adapt when it is clear that the system employed isn't working. Either the oppo have figured us out, or we were flattering to deceive with our early season form. Either way, a good manager would react and make appropriate changes.

I want Andy to succeed. I want ETFC to succeed. Neither are happening at present. Something needs to change.

I can't believe all teams have figured us out. It must be something else.

It's not hard Andy, we are so predictable.  We even know within 2/3 minutes when substitutions are likely to be made. By  the way I did say AL is "not intentionally a bad manager" in replying to Theo. I am sure he thinks that what he doing is always right. That is what I find hard to accept.  Also we must not forget he has an Assistant and several coaches. Do they have a say and if so are they listened to???

From my perspective no one seems to be thinking proactively. Change only comes after the event when it's to late. When do we see tactical changes made to counter other teams threats? No it all seems to be done by numbers.

Ambitious managers use scouting reports to prepare a plan for each match. Presumably we do the same but one has to assume little preparation is done since we play the same way week in and week out. It appears that AL believes in "one size fits all". 

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

I feel really bad for Andy having to put up with you lot .  Perhaps the answer lies in the boardroom with the player budget Andy has to work with . If Andy's hands are tied what the hell is he supposed to do ??  WAVE A MAGIC WAND !!!! FOR CRYING OUT LOUD GET OFF THE MAN'S BACK.  !!!!

I thought that SwKnicker had got onto the wrong forum and that he/she was commenting on "Brexit" and Theresa and seems to have got something Twisted!!!!

Unfortunately when continually asked to get behind the Manager it's inevitable that some will get to close and end up on his back.

More seriously though he knew what he was taking and to some extent has met the challenge.  But some of us had an idea what was in store. See quotes from 2017.

On 06/06/2017 at 19:57, Ex Meadowender said:

He has an amazing little black book of non-league contacts. I'm concerned that he gets too emotional and it tends to cloud his tactical thinking. Would be an excellent coach alongside a level-headed manager but watch out for run ins with opposition managers and officials that cost games.

On 06/06/2017 at 20:25, 4wembleyfinals said:

What you say sounds familiar and I agree with you but, even if we could afford it, I don't think he would appreciate working as a number "2". 

On 06/06/2017 at 20:30, Ex Meadowender said:

You are right, Andys ego wouldn't let him be a number 2 from what I have seen. As a supporter owned club he needs to know his budget and not overspend. From my understanding, he has a track record of promising players more than he can deliver in financial terms. It will be a roller coaster ride with some good days though. ETFC is a fantastic club with huge potential and I look forward to going again as a groundhopper.

Honest impartial observations from an outside source. Do these ring any bells SwKn??  Words such as Tactical thinking, ego and tying himself to players by promising them more than he can deliver. The latter may be why young players continually leave.

I SURE WE ALL WOULD WISH TO THANK MEADOWENDER FOR HIS COMPLIMENT TO THE CLUB IN HIS FINAL SENTENCE.

IT IS WHAT WE ALL FEEL AND IS WHY WE CARE SO MUCH FOR THE CLUBS FUTURE....

QED

Edited by 4wembleyfinals
In order to incorporate quotes from the past.

4WF, I think anything on this forum by that particular contributor needs to be read carefully as there was some very personal comments made by him about the manager on one topic that is now locked. 

As for the manager, he still has my backing and I believe he will get it right. I find it very frustrating that some of you can't wait to get on his back when things start to go wrong and very slow to post comments when things were going better earlier in the season. Some of you haven't liked him from the start and even if had won every game this season you'd still find something to criticise him about.

There are plenty of younger players still at the club, didn't the manager bring back an u23 side this season (anyone know how they're doing?) and other youngsters are out on loan at other clubs.

Last point, there is a meeting coming up where members can attend and make their point direct to the manager. Got to be better than posting on a form surely (not directed at you 4WF, but to all contributors)

Point taken TFJ but with one exception, what ever I write is not personal against AL as a person. It is a critique of his approach to management as I have perceived it in the past and in which I still see no change. 

It may seem absurd to you but for medical reasons I do not have the confidence to venture far at night hence I do not take full advantage of my membership by attending winter meetings or evening matches.  

It is for this reason I indulge myself in subscribing to this forum where I respect that everyone has a right to agree or disagree with me depending on their individual view.

It is debatable whether the " management" takes on board what is written as we get very little feedback but one hopes that sometimes our concerns filter through.

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

Sorry 4WF I wasn't suggesting your comments were personal against the manager, only that using that particular contributor as an impartial outsider was not the best example as we have seen him making personal comments about the manager.

i appreciate your difficulties in attending games etc and I hope you are able to attend when you can because at the end of the day we all love football. Perhaps some of the other vocal critics of the manager are able to take the opinions forward.

i wish you well.

19 hours ago, TJFootie said:

As for the manager, he still has my backing and I believe he will get it right. I find it very frustrating that some of you can't wait to get on his back when things start to go wrong and very slow to post comments when things were going better earlier in the season. Some of you haven't liked him from the start and even if had won every game this season you'd still find something to criticise him about.

Completely agree. I've questioned for some time whether the views on this forum are representative of the supporter base and don't think they are. Like TJF says, too quick to criticise, too slow to praise.

I don't get to many games but saw 2 last time I was home. The first was the drab 0-0 against Brightlingsea which certainly didn't set the world alight (though we should have nicked a win right at the end).  The second was the away win at Tonbridge which was one of the best games I have seen for a long time. We played extremely well and looked every inch a play-off contender, if not better.  That was only a month ago and now the knives are out!!!! Give me a break. It's essentially the same team!! Us supporters are a fickle lot.

I agree with people saying we are not playing to Bricknell's strengths when he is up front on his own. I prefer to see 2 up front (home and away). But it looks to me like the manager has tried 2 up front the last 2 games and we still lost. And he still gets criticised!! ?

I think it's simpler. We had the run of the ball in the first couple of months. First game of the season we could easily have lost. The 2-2 draw at Lewes which kept momentum going and confidence high - could easily have lost that one too. Haringey at home - Kirby hit the bar for them in the last minute so could have lost that one as well. The Hayes & Yeading defeat didn't disappoint me - we put out a young team. But since the Trophy loss at Basingstoke, we've not had the run of the ball. 9 times out of 10 Johnson's back pass would have gone to our right back. It didn't, their forward took his chance and we've been like a deflated balloon ever since. Confidence has evaporated. But the playing squad is pretty much unchanged.

Brandon Adams going to Ware is disappointing but don't blame the manager. The club received a 7 day approach and the player decided to go to get regular playing time. Why is that the manager's fault? The player chose to drop a league. The manager didn't show him the door. Quite the opposite, I suspect, but it was the player's choice.

I enjoy reading the posts. Quite often I completely disagree with people's opinions but's that's the whole point of a forum. Air your opinion.

We have a good squad, they just need a win to get some self-belief back. We've got a tough looking December but the players need to look at how they played at Tonbridge to remind themselves they are good. We'll get out of this slump.

Or Perhaps Brandon could ve got more game time.

He clearly walked because he wasn't in favour.....or is that unfair?

If things turn round by December/january I ll be the first one on here admitting it

Yes we are a fickle bunch but I've seen alot since brightlingsea....

It's more frustration......!!!

To be honest BJ it was the managers fault Adams left .... he is young and wants to play not get splinters in his backside.... I said before the season started I hope the signing of Liam didn't take away game time from Adams and unfortunately that is exactly what happened.....  but as far as the criticism goes it's quite simple for me...  I am a ETFC member... I pay for a season ticket... I do the golden goal and 50/50 even tho I never win... I have purchased numerous articles from the club shop and I spend money behind the bar.... all I ask in return is to be entertained and quite frankly for the last eighteen months I haven't been.....

Andy I am not intending to sound Glib but my answer to your question would be some one with the ability to juggle all jobs on your list. He would have to be at Board level and would be a person who is readily prepared to work with others with in the club to bring together the skills needed to join up your list of occupations. In major clubs it is a Director of Football. Probably our club is not financially big enough to have this structure and at the moment this is perceived to be the manager's job.

Even if we were able to recruit someone to fill this role I would think that not many manager at our level, and I include AL, would be willing to accept the situation. But I know that there are manager/coaches out there at progressive Non league clubs already working this way.

Edited by 4wembleyfinals