Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Enfield Town v Wingate & Finchley

seemgee

Thanks for the updates seemgee and seasons greetings to you as well.

Yes, a good attendance today, and an excellent result for the Town. By all accounts we had enough chances to bang in a few more goals, but winning by a three - goal margin in a NLD match will please most Towners there this afternoon.

A sign of progress? Well, its worth remembering we only took one point from our two matches with W&F last season, losing 2-1 away and drawing 1-1 at home. This season we have taken four points off them, drawing 1-1 away, and winning today. So, we are definitely moving in the right direction, and our recent signings are certainly making a difference.

Well done to Andy and the boys on this Boxing Day result.  Let's stretch this winning run and continue our climb up the Table.

Merry Xmas all.

Surprised there's not more comments on the game on here - as I  am really pleased with what I saw!

We started really strongly, and Mo looked a real handful up front! First goal came when a Wingate player went down easily and ref waved play on .. we reacted quickly, and Blackman sent in a ball for Mo to finish from a very tight angle. 

I missed the 2nd as I was at the burger van, and the large crowd in the corner meant I couldnt see it! (Will watch it later as the GoToTown full match has been issued!)

There were 2 occasions in the 1st half where Mo could have squared it to Bricknell for an easier shot but elected to shoot himself, but good to see the confidence he had

Both Greene and Youngs had good solid games on the wings - I think after both have been subs recently they were both up for putting in strong performances. Does feel a bit of a waste seeing Sam out wide rather than in the thick of it, but he had some lovely touches, turns, and  was very impressive. Greene had some really strong runs. Second half and the expected Enfield 2nd half foot off the gas took place, as predicted by some on the terraces. Wingate walked through us far too easily to score.

But unlike other games we kept going and got a penalty almost out of nothing - their player didn't see Mo and clattered into him - definately a penalty in my view but probably unlucky for them.

Billy kept hold of the ball despite Mo having the opportunity for a hat trick (maybe revenge for the non-passes in the first half!) and restored  the 2 goal cushion.

The bench was a young one with Sutton, Taafe and Chaney all missing, but was good to see Bilal and Junior on, and both played well. The 4th goal was a great move which saw Bilal place it on Junior's head for a simple goal - he looked so happy to score and enjoyed the "Junior" chants!

He then had an even easier chance when the ball came across to him from the other wing and inexplicably missed (I genuinely think I would have scored it, it was that easy!) - but hey we were 4-1 up and still all chanted Junior!

Josh Davidson also came on, and looked decent, few unlucky bounces.

We had several other chances before the end and there was a great buzz. 

Hats off also to Ryan and MJ who both played really well in the centre of the park.

Also extremely impressed with Weatherstone. He was the only player not to run over when Mo scored the 1st, out of respect for his history with Wingate. His leadership and organisation were excellent, and we looked far stronger as a unit at the back - Dan Rumens had a solid game, helped by having an experienced partner with him.

Really enjoyed the game, some great singing (Last Xmas - next year .. I'll give it to Billy Bricknell was brilliant!) and a positive feel about the place.

Two new signings that have improved the squad, and are playing well. Yes we can still be direct at times, and we did sometimes lose the ball in promising positions, but we were trying to do things differently.  Overall think we are looking in great shape for the second half of the season.

Up the Town!

The thing is LH, you really can't compare season on season as there are so many things which are different between one season and the next. Let's just see if ETFC can continue to win their games. The season is still open as everyone keeps dropping points, apart from the team in White Hart Lane.

Enjoyable enough game and has to be said that on early viewing both signings have improved our team....albeit only W + F who obviously were missing Beckles Richards up front.

Mickey looked to have one of his better games playing out of position at LB.    If Wingate were more clinical the game would have been much closer however in the 2nd half we easily could have had another 4 or 5.   

Here's hoping to a positive trip up the road and just over the M25........whatever Haringey are doing they're doing it right but would be good to see us go on a nice little run of our own....and have to say breath of fresh air seeing Billy with a partner  where they've built up a good rapport in a short time.

No coincidence that the change in fortunes came with the long overdue change in approach.... Mo could become a bit of a cult hero amongst the supporters... seems a really nice lad who loves his football and had finally given the town that X factor and has gotten us away from the turgid predictability that was rife throughout the team... 

Archived