Fans Focus - Non League football clubs

I wonder what BerkoRaiders has to say about that when he or she next posts

I think BFC are clutching at straws. Trying to make a connection between their 10 year old club and the Earl Brownlow sale of the land is a bit of a stretch. At the time of the sale, the sports played there were hockey, tennis, cricket and croquet. Unless they’re planning to revive croquet at Broadwater? They need to look to the future not to the past. Football has changed a bit in the last 100 years.

“the impression that Berkhamsted Raiders had applied for promotion to Step 6

My understanding of the senior team philosophy is that it has no interest in promotion. It’s about player development and providing a pathway into senior football for the U16-U18s at Raiders. I assume that players who want to move to a higher level will join Kings Langley or other higher graded clubs.  

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Winslow Boy - It's the story of my life but I am only trying to stick up for the little guy, it was 'criminal' what Berkhamsted Raiders tried to do to Berkhamsted FC: https://www.berkhamstedtoday

Raiders greatest achievement appears to be this thread. 

Even by your standards this is a really strange thread

Posted Images

12 hours ago, BerkoRaiders said:

their 10 year old club

BerkoRaiders - But Berkhamsted FC aren't a ten year old Club, why do you say that, the Club were founder members of the Herts County League as long go as 1898/99 and the Broadwater Sports Ground was purchased by the Berkhamsted Sports Ground Association in 1924 for £2,600 using public donations on the strict proviso that sport should be played on the site in perpetuity, there is a clause in the original purchase documentation to that effect. It was also made clear at the time, and is documented, that the site is intended 'for the permanent preservation of a pleasant open space so near the middle of the town'.  

11 hours ago, Rhodes said:

BerkoRaiders - But Berkhamsted FC aren't a ten year old Club, why do you say that, the Club were founder members of the Herts County League as long go as 1898/99 and the Broadwater Sports Ground was purchased by the Berkhamsted Sports Ground Association in 1924 for £2,600 using public donations on the strict proviso that sport should be played on the site in perpetuity, there is a clause in the original purchase documentation to that effect. It was also made clear at the time, and is documented, that the site is intended 'for the permanent preservation of a pleasant open space so near the middle of the town'.  

I've looked up some history. The original club, Berkhamsted Town FC, went bust in 2009 (according to Wikipedia record) Berkhamsted FC (similar name) is the current club and is in effect a new entity with a different set of Directors. Around town, I've seen posters promoting Berkhamsted Comrades FC which I assume is an attempt to connect with the history of the original club. With regard to the "permanent preservation of a pleasant open space", it hasn't been an open space for many many years. Flats got built on half the space which was the original football pitch. Then the football club created an enclosed stadium. If you wanted to enforce the view of Earl Brownlow, the ground would have to be turned back into a public open space, and I can't see the FA/League/whoever decides accepting that kind of set up.

On 25/12/2020 at 01:48, Rhodes said:

The Bulbourne Cross proposal and building housing on Broadwater do not feature in the recently published Dacorum draft Local Plan. The consultation on that plan closes in just 7 weeks, and the Thakeham/BSGCA team are belatedly seeking to have their proposal included into the plan.

I see that Berkhamsted FC commented on the 'not fit for purpose' Dacorum Borough Council Local Plan 'Emerging Strategy for Growth' 2020 - 2038, ahead of the deadline today (28 February), I wonder whether Berkhamsted Raiders did likewise:

New Dacorum Local Plan (to 2038)

We have made a submission on Dacorum’s draft local plan for housing, including comments from many supporters that signed our petition to stay at Broadwater. We do not wish to be kicked out of town to Bourne End.

BerkoRaiders - Many thanks for posting your response to the Dacorum Borough Council Local Plan 'Emerging Strategy for Growth' 2020 - 2038, it's very comprehensive and will take some time to digest. Would you agree that the Plan is not fit for purpose, the Chiltern Society for example have absolutely panned it and have 'grave concerns', you have probably already seen their comments and the scathing response to the Plan below:

210218-Dacorum-Local-Plan-Chiltern-Society-Response.pdf

Excessive Housing Numbers Proposed for Dacorum - Dacorum Local Plan - News - Chiltern Community (chilternsociety.org.uk)