Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

35 years of Enfield football

AnfieldTowner

With apologies to those who don't like discussion of the old club, I hope you'll allow me some indulgence as I've just realised that I've been coming to Enfield football matches, be that the old club or Town, for 35 years this year, mostly home and away (once I reached driving age! - before that the away games were mostly the bus to Barnet and the odd coach trip). I realise this makes me a 'Johnny-come-lately' compared to some of you, and I'll let my cousin, who was at that first game with me, out himself if he wants to do so!

Due to some great documenting online by Nuneaton Borough FC, I've found that my first Enfield game was on the 21st August 1984, a 1-0 home win over Nuneaton with the goal scored by Steve King. The team was Waller, Barrett, Howell, Cooper, Hazeldene, Flint, Drummy, Taylor, Ashford, Richards & King with Savage & Ironton as subs. Is it rose-tinted glasses that makes me think that 5 of those may be in my all time combined Enfield side? Maybe not, we were particularly blessed at the time!

Think that means my combined Enfield Honours list during that time is one Conference win, one Isthmian win, 2 Essex Senior League wins, 1 FA Trophy win, 5 Middlesex Senior Cup wins &  1 Cherry Red Trophy - which looks a little sparse, lets hope Andy can add a Velocity Trophy to that this year!

Be interested to hear of the first games of other supporters, if you can find details online - now there's a challenge! 

My first game at Enfield FC  was 1947 when Jack Rawlings was "Centre Forward" and I believe Spendlove? was captain. Can't remember who we played but do know that the second half was televised by the BBC as one of their first experimental outside broadcasts prior to the FA Cup Final between Charlton and Derby County and the  run up to the 1948 Olympic Games. Did not watch regularly until about 20 years later.

Yes i was with Anfield Towner at our first game v Nuneaton 35 years ago.Our first away game was a few weeks later at Barnet.We lost 3-2 but the atmosphere behind the goal that day hooked us into following Enfield/Town ever since.A shame really that we didn't start following the club 2 or 3 years before.We missed out on some great players and moments. (such as Barnsley At WHL).But still witnessed one of our greatest teams ever.

Ps. AT .Don't forget to add: 2 Essex League Cups / 2 Middlesex Charity Cups/Gordon Brasted Trophy and the Isthmain League play-off final winners to the list of silverware.

Headington United 1st Round FA Cup  in 1959, I think we won 4-3. My dad took me as a treat when visiting my grandparents who lived in Clive Road,opposite the ground. 

They became Oxford United and joined the Football League in 1960 didn’t they ?

Memory is hazy but mine was a pre season friendly v Chelsea XI which included ex England and West Brom centre forward Derek Kevan, ex Spurs Tommy Harmer and a young John Hollins. Es included Roy Thomas, Bobby Cantwell, Roger Day making his debut and I think Tommy Lawrence on the left wing following his serious head injury playing for Great Britain. Think we lost 4-2 with plenty of our regulars absent. We went on to reach Wembley that year where we were the better side but cruelly lost following goalkeeper Malcom Mitchell’s broken arm. 

Can't remember is the short answer. My first away game was a coach trip to Aylesbury United in the early 1950s. It was a very wet day, suitable for a club called the Ducks. It was a cup-tie. My investigations have ruled out the FA Cup, so I guess it probably was the FA Amateur Cup. The problem is the source I usually use for this sort of information (Football Club History Database) only has Amateur Cup results from later rounds during this period of history. Enfield lost I believe.

In response to MT Head, he is right Enfield did beat Headington United 4-3 in the FA Cup in 1959. I definitely remember being there on that day and against Bournemouth in the next round. Headington had a player in that game who became very famous as a manager. Ron Atkinson, who went on to manage Man Utd. I think his brother, Graham, was also in the team that day. Great atmosphere.

1 hour ago, townendleftside said:

I need some help from Father Jack here I think ! pretty sure my first game was at home against Dagenham in 1978 or 1979. I believe we won 5-3 and I remember Tony Bass netting with a bicycle kick ? have I got any of those details right ?

Hmm... doesn't ring any bells. I remember Keith Searle scoring with a bicycle kick in a big win AT Dagenham around this time, but that's the best I can do at the moment.  I'll have a dig around my archives tonight and see what I can come up with. 

I need some help from Father Jack here I think ! pretty sure my first game was at home against Dagenham in 1978 or 1979. I believe we won 5-3 and I remember Tony Bass netting with a bicycle kick ? have I got any of those details right ?

1978/79 home v daggers won 2-0 tone and bishop

1978/79 away v daggers won 6-2  glover 3 seale o'sullivan gibson

1979/80 away v daggers won 2-0 o'sullivan 2

home v dagg won 3-2  o'sullivan milne 2

hope that might help

I started going in 1976 I think

I believe we won that tie in an away replay. A mutual friend of both mine and Tommy Unwin told me the following day that for business reasons TU couldn't make it to that match. But that when he heard the result he drove from Crews Hill to a Service Station way down the M4 to meet up with the team coach. It showed that he didn't only just commit his money to the club.

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

4 wf there was also a black dog that used to sit behind the goal which the Es were attacking. When they scored, which was very often, the dog would bark and jump around as if celebrating the goal. In a touching moment TU presented the dog with a new coat before one of the games. Think the dogs name was Bruce but may be someone can confirm.

18 hours ago, 4wembleyfinals said:

I believe we won that tie in an away replay. A mutual friend of both mine and Tommy Unwin told me the following day that for business reasons TU couldn't make it to that match. But that when he heard the result he drove from Crews Hill to a Service Station way down the M4 to meet up with the team coach. It showed that he didn't only just commit his money to the club.

If you're referring to the Newport tie Enfield lost 4-2 in the replay with two very late goals from the home side. At 2-1 up with around 20 minutes, I think, left Steve Turner hit the bar and if that had gone in I think Enfield would have won. The Newport attck in those games included John Aldridge but it was Tommy Tynan who scored a hat-trick in the replay.