Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

FROM THE LEATHERHEAD BLOG SITE

Dagger03

(With thanks to Max for sending me the link). And a question - Is it not about time that we returned to player management rather than management by yellow (and red) cards?

The Leatherheqd blog starts here -

I am not sure if there was a murder on the Orient Express or a suicide yesterday as Leatherhead ran out of steam when facing 10 man AFC Hornchurch.

The ref made the game impossible for us to win as early as 10 minutes when he sent off a Hornchurch player.  It was seemingly innocuous; the ball was running out of play and the striker lashed out at the defender a bit.  He probably thought it was far too early in the game to be sent off for this, but he had picked on the wrong ref.

Regular visitors to the Grove will know playing against 10 men usually signal disappointment, but when we carved out a goal - a nice move down the left, low cross, fumbled into the path of Travis - we could dare to dream we could pull off the impossible.

1-0, playing against 10 men... no need to concentrate on set pieces, it will be fine.  Alas no, the defence being the sleepers in this instance to allow a completely free header to make it 1-1.

Into the second half and the ref took centre stage.  He started blowing his whistle for everything and booking anyone in sight.  Shaun was booked for persistently trying to get the ball, their no 2 booked for a two footed - two footed! - tackle, I was booked for inappropriate tweeting and some birds were booked for persistent migrating.  

Now, we only have ourselves to blame here.  Had we maintained our lead, or even built on it, the ref's breaking up of play would have been just the ticket.  As it was, it only added to our frustration and in doing so allowed AFC Hornchuch the space to score a second and take all three points.

Archived