Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Enfield Town v Tonbridge Angels

littlehampton

Saturday is here again, and Town face another formidable test this afternoon at the QE II Stadium, when they clash with Tonbridge Angels in the race for a place in the Bostik League Premier Division play offs.

Last weekend we saw off Folkestone, today we host another Kent side, in a real ' six-pointer' which both sides will be very keen to win.

Back in October, Town travelled over to the Longmead Stadium, delivered one of our best performances of the season, and beat the Angels 1-2.  They come to us today 4th in the Table, two places and two points ahead of Town, with an excellent away record. Town really will need to be on top of their game this afternoon to secure the three points and do the double over the Angels.

So, another very exciting close encounter in prospect.  Let's have plenty of loud noisy support for our guys!  COYT

Good luck everyone!  Enjoy the game, and please share your thoughts on our performance and the result after the match.

Looking forward to this one today....but then I love competition and sport.

Here's my hopes:

We compete

We put it in

We perform well and play some good football.

Unsure how many of these we'll do as Tonbridge are where they are on merit......so let's hope it's a decent 90 minutes

A goal-less first half at the QE2 Stadium, but a bright start from the Town who have created more chances, and gone close with both Sam Youngs and Marc Weatherstone hitting the bar.
Still everything to play for, so let's hope we find the net after the interval.

Close!  Excellent play from Oliyide who sets up Bricknell whose shot is snuffed out by the Angels defence.

Just now, The Crowing Cockerel said:

I note ETFC old boy, Harry Ottaway, has already bagged a hat-trick for Carshalton this afternoon.

Yes CC, how sad he left!

All over, no goals, and another home draw, albeit against one of the better sides in the league.
Was this a fair result, did we deserve to nick it, how did we perform today, who was your MOM, how was the match in terms of entertainment value?
Let's hear from you Towners.

I think we deserved to have won,good alround team performance though.First I have seen of Porter very impressed with his style of play.Great to see Mohamadu Faal is fit and will feature in the friendly Monday evening.

Not the best ref I have seen this season.

Good atmosphere over there today.

A very good first 45 mins playing some decent football ... BB had to score with his clear header he will be very disappointed with that ... a bit of luck wouldn’t go amiss with the two crossbars but that’s how it goes .... second half tonbridge probably had the better chances some real desperate defending kept us in it but we still looked dangerous at times.... very impressed with Jay Porter maybe liked to have seen him paired with Greene instead of replaced as loads of space on that side.... no moans today... some decent football played....

Have to agree with both Theo and DJW  a better performance, especially in first half,  and with a little rub of the green could have gone in 2 up at HT.

Unfortunately, as DWJ said, occasionally let our selves down, mainly by the usual suspects, when playing from the back.  Good passing movements where often spoilt by  Rumens  and Blackman hoofing the ball up field when a simple lay-off would have kept us in control. However, one cannot fault Blackman for his energy but it would be helpful if he would spend a bit more time honing his passing skills. He could learn a lot from Ibe in how to bring the ball down and whilst under pressure make a simple pass. After all one looks to the mid-field for creativity.

For my part I would have liked to have seen us start with 3 up front with Mulley in mid-field. But as it was chances were created and for me many of the players gave enhanced performances. If we can keep this up and with the return of our talisman, MO , we should be able to enjoy the remainder of the season. 

A few observations

Kez brought some balance up front...holding ball up well and offering something with his back to goal

1st half thought MJ was one of our strongest players and throughout the game you could hear he was encouraging us to keep the ball down and play it simple.

Billy really should have had 2 or 3

Finally Jay was very impressive.   Did very little wrong defensively and certainly offered alot going forwards with some great delivery in the box.....especially as he had little protection with no real width in front of him.

Agree about Kezie, the ball sticks when he receives it with back to goal, giving Billy more space; pity Billy had a bad day at the office though! Would now like to see Lewis Taaffe back in midfield to improve our creativity

Having said for months what can be achieved by trying to play a passing game I am pleased to see we are at last giving it a try. 

It follows that if we have any serious intentions of trying for a play-off place we will have to move into the next stage. This will require the playing  management biting the bullet and make some decisive team changes, especially at home. That is to play three forwards and another creative midfielder. FJ  has suggested Taafe for this role. As a consequence it may be that one or two of the " hoofing usual suspects"  having to appear on the bench. 

Finally I endorse DJW view on the amount contributed by MJ in yesterdays game.

Lots of positives yesterday as highlighted by others. It should be added that Matt Nolan had another solid game and clean sheet, something of a rarity this season! We still look short of another quality central defender who can find passes out of defence and we also appear to have little central defensive back up since Remi Sutton left. I don't feel we should fear anyone if we can get into the playoffs so now is the time to invest in a central defender if we can find one.

Archived