Jump to content
Fans Focus - Non League football clubs
Sign in to follow this  
seemgee

Enfield Town v Leatherhead

Recommended Posts

CC another concise summation of the situation and for what I'm hearing in line with the thinking of many supporters. Your final paragraph is what happens in the real world. Politics and football aside.

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If players dont wanna play for the manager then they show it.... ours have carried on working.   The effort isnt questionable.

However

Truthfully.....who is happy with our current league position???

Theres no sugar coating it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least we're not in a relegation dogfight!

I agree that the players have carried on working. The trouble is that the whole package isn't quite working - and has only flattered to deceive on a couple of occasions.

We need a defence. I know that we've got players missing at the moment, but our defence this season has been about as solid as a blancmange. I'm sure someone can provide the number of clean sheets...

Billy Bricknell - perhaps the best predatory striker at this level of non-league, BUT he needs someone alongside him to take some of the pressure off him. His game isn't chasing lost causes and out-pacing 3 defenders. He needs to receive the ball in the right areas. Yes, I know that Mo Faal looked to be the ideal strike partner, but he's been injured more than he's been available since joining. The Plan Bs that Andy has tried have looked pretty toothless. Andy cannot simply rely upon one or two players being fit throughout the season. Injuries are a fact of football.

Speaking of injuries - any news on Ryan Blackman?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

DJw glad to hear Ryan Blackman got early treatment. I too was lucky when I dislocated mine that there was some close at hand who knew how to put it back in place. The surgeon at the hospital said it save me many weeks of treatment.

 I hope he starts to his a recovery soon.

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm starting to come around to the consensus on here - Saturday did not make enjoyable watching, and when we went a goal down (another individual mistake), I think that sadly the writing was on the wall. Yes Leatherhead defended well, but they only did what any side in their position would have done and we didn't do nearly enough to carve out clear cut chances.

I don't think it's fair to question the selection of certain players over others, as most people on here don't know what the situation is with players carrying knocks or lacking fitness, but no issue with questioning the overall standard of play. It's not pretty at times, and not filling me with excitement about the side. As others have commented, we have a lot of quality all across this squad and it's not unreasonable to expect to be higher up the table and playing more fluent football.

Will of course continue to support the team, regardless of who is in charge and how we're playing - anything else is counterproductive. As a final note, I hope that Ryan makes a speedy recovery and that the injury isn't as bad as it looked at the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Barney, I only have one issue with your well balanced view. That is people would not comment on team selection if the supporters were given at least a monthly report on the injured and their progress of recovery. A simple statement on line would be sufficient to deter the discussion on team selection. If most senior professional clubs can do it then why not ours.

Take last Saturday. There were four players on the bench two of whom were only recently heralded as great acquisition another an astute loan arrangement. The Fourth, Youngs, who it seems has been carrying a known injury. Consequently if we assume that the other three are also injured where is the logic of having them on the bench. Why could not one/two have made a start rather than being brought on during the game. The effect on the injury would have been the same.

If on the other hand they were not injured then, with out information, we can only conclude that they were not considered for a starting place. Which suggests that one is now thought not to be, as quoted,  " the best left back in the league" and the other two not very good acquisitions. How in such a short time as this happened. Poor management or bad judgement!!!!! 

 

Edited by 4wembleyfinals
Add further content.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 4wembleyfinals said:

Barney, I only have one issue with your well balanced view. That is people would not comment on team selection if the supporters were given at least a monthly report on the injured and their progress of recovery. A simple statement on line would be sufficient to deter the discussion on team selection. If most senior professional clubs can do it then why not ours.

Take last Saturday. There were four players on the bench two of whom were only recently heralded as great acquisition another an astute loan arrangement. The Fourth, Youngs, who it seems has been carrying a known injury. Consequently if we assume that the other three are also injured where is the logic of having them on the bench. Why could not one/two have made a start rather than being brought on during the game. The effect on the injury would have been the same.

If on the other hand they were not injured then, with out information, we can only conclude that they were not considered for a starting place. Which suggests that one is now thought not to be, as quoted,  " the best left back in the league" and the other two not very good acquisitions. How in such a short time as this happened. Poor management or bad judgement!!!!! 

 

Youngs "seems to have been carrying a known injury"? Don't you read the match reports or watch the videos? He was carried off at Whitehawk and hadn't played since. You recently complained about Rumens "keeping his place" at Haringey when he was recalled after being dropped for the previous three games. Why should I take anything you write seriously?

Given that Porter is cup-tied for the final next week don't you think that might be part of the reason for his non-selection? It's obvious that the left side of our defence for the final will have to be two of Rumens, Payne and Green. I don't think it's any conicidence that the last two league starts have featured two of the three possible permutations and who'd bet against Payne and Green starting on Saturday if that's the case?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Order! ORD-der! 

And take a breath!

Seriously, who cares about the Velocity Mickey Mouse Cup? If we win, we'll probably be subjected to at least another year of AL. Groan. Most boring (in terms of football and personality), miserable manager of our club? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After 10 years without silverware we need to start winning things again.

Saying that,i do not think that the outcome of the cup final should influence any decision on the management situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tom S, thanks for your submission. Why can't you take my posts seriously? Well in the first place I haven't seen any videos and secondly in the past few weeks I have been having medical treatment. Consequently I judge what I see when I am able to get to matches.

In your tirade you obviously missed my main point which was it may be helpful if an occasional update on injuries was promulgated then people like me would not have to solely rely on what other write or hear say.

Your suggestion that people were left out because they were cup tied shows that you consider the Cup more important than gaining points towards the playoffs. This to me shows a complete naivety on how to run a football club.  I think ,however, BtG's  reply makes a strong point.

Ps. Please do people a favour and read what is written before jumping. I will still look forward to hearing your views in the future because that is what this forum is about..

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, The Crowing Cockerel said:

I note that QPR have dispensed with their manager today in order to allow time to prepare for next season.

I like their thinking...

I make a prediction that AL will resign after the cup final... he might be stubborn but he  can’t be stupid... he will know that this season hasn’t been good enough... he will know that the supporters although not vocal are fed up and rapidly losing interest as Saturday showed.... he will also do what is best for the club..... I will personally say thanks for all the time and effort he has put in ... let’s hope he calls it a day holding a cup....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re Porter 

apart from his debut against Hornchurch where in my humble opinion he was our standout player in an otherwise abysmal team performance,we have never lost a game when he has started,I suggest that when points were desperately needed in our last 2 league games for our playoff push his name should have been one of the first names on the team sheet,regardless of the fact that he’s cup tied for the final

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, I don't buy the 'he's cup-tied so best try out someone else argument' either. If the manager's priority is the league cup when there were still hopes of making the play-offs then his priorities and aspirations are not in sync with those of the fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Very informative, R,  I hope TS reads it. Also CC glad you endorse my view. Makes me feel a bit more justified that at least some others think the same as I do. 

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In all honesty.......I'm not that bothered about the final......yes I'm out of the country unfortunately however the league will always be what we should be concentrating on.   I think Jay looks a great little player and must be kicking his heels on the bench.   We've got a great LB.......or left wing back and he's not even getting on the pitch.   The cup tied aspect is irrelevant as still don't understand why some of our defenders are getting time over others.......equally.....if that is the argument then why do we still look stretched every time we lose a ball and opposition break on us.   I thought  Leatherhead's number 8 did a great job on Saturday on breaking up play, covering ground and generally being a stopper.   We look at the races when the other team wins the ball.........and have done much of the season.

 

Our style of play.......

Our lack of organisation at the back

Billy has looked lost for so long without Mo up beside him......   Why so often does our team look like strangers?

Would 4 2 3 1 seriously not have worked with the attacking midfielders we have?

 

The manager is in place to produce a football team ......................For too long there are too many questions left unanswered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/04/2019 at 15:40, Tom S said:

Youngs "seems to have been carrying a known injury"? Don't you read the match reports or watch the videos? He was carried off at Whitehawk and hadn't played since. You recently complained about Rumens "keeping his place" at Haringey when he was recalled after being dropped for the previous three games. Why should I take anything you write seriously?

Given that Porter is cup-tied for the final next week don't you think that might be part of the reason for his non-selection? It's obvious that the left side of our defence for the final will have to be two of Rumens, Payne and Green. I don't think it's any conicidence that the last two league starts have featured two of the three possible permutations and who'd bet against Payne and Green starting on Saturday if that's the case?

I don't go with that cup tied crap.

If Andy is trying to find a formation for the final then in my opinion he has let the club down.

I thought he should be playing his best players to get points and get us in the playoffs and Jay Is probably the best left back in the league.

Wake up and smell the coffee Andy.

Time for a parting of the ways imo.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'm going to have to disagree here, or at least say something to counter what seems to be a very one sided discussion... I like what I've seen so far of Porter, but I'm not sure we can start suggesting he's the best left back in the league until he's at least played a few more games for us (appreciate he's not doing that at the moment). I remember thinking that Sutton looked a class act when he first joined, but his form and performances tailed off over time.

A number of people were calling for Greene to be in the side on Saturday, which he was - and he's clearly a decent attack minded left wing back (thought that he started well, but was lacking match sharpness, and got caught on the ball a few times as the second half went on).

I guess what I'm saying is that whilst we're all entitled to opinions about who should and shouldn't be playing, I don't think it's as clear a choice as people are making out. It might be that had Porter started in place of Greene we'd have got a better result... or maybe we mightn't have. I can be pretty sure that had he started, there would be people on here deriding Andy for leaving out Greene.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the team performance on Saturday, which I think we can all agree was a long way short of what's required - and the buck clearly stops with the management team for that, but it does strike me that a number of posters on here are very quick to jump on every fault when we lose, but are conversely very slow to praise when we do turn in a decent performance. If I could be bothered, I'd love to pull some stats for the average number of messages per thread for games we've lost vs games we've won... but life's too short, so I'm going to go back to not worrying too much, hoping things work out OK for the club (whoever is in charge of the playing side), and crossing my fingers for some better performances in the games to come.

Feel free to tear the above to shreds, only too happy to be of assistance if it helps you vent 😉

 

Edited by Barney
Fixing my awful grammar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

Barney, I see no reason for you being torn to shreds for your post but perhaps if I may I'd like to give a reason for my querying why Porter etc have been missing of late.

The quote regarding "JP being the best left back etc" was made by another manager on a non-league radio show. It was was first referred to by Wildlife in a post on 15 February.** There is also a glowing recommendation ( or perhaps a self congratulatory comment ) by the Manager to his signing in the official club announcement of the same date.

Perhaps it why so many of us wonder why if in only a few weeks from being the " best thing since sliced bread"  JP has become a 5- 10 minute substitute. Which seems par for the course for this manager as it seems to have happened to others who have arrive with his glowing endorsements. In the course of a season, perhaps 3 players may not come up to the managers expectations but the number is well passed that figure. Recent arrivals Mulley and Payne fall in this category and the reason why I enquired if these three were carrying injuries in my earlier post that Tom S got so steamed up about.

Ps  ** TS .....I do read reports when they are written but I am still not telepathic.

 

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Barney said:

I'm going to have to disagree here, or at least say something to counter what seems to be a very one sided discussion... I like what I've seen so far of Porter, but I'm not sure we can start suggesting he's the best left back in the league until he's at least played a few more games for us (appreciate he's not doing that at the moment). I remember thinking that Sutton looked a class act when he first joined, but his form and performances tailed off over time.

A number of people were calling for Greene to be in the side on Saturday, which he was - and he's clearly a decent attack minded left wing back (thought that he started well, but was lacking match sharpness, and got caught on the ball a few times as the second half went on).

I guess what I'm saying is that whilst we're all entitled to opinions about who should and shouldn't be playing, I don't think it's as clear a choice as people are making out. It might be that had Porter started in place of Greene we'd have got a better result... or maybe we mightn't have. I can be pretty sure that had he started, there would be people on here deriding Andy for leaving out Greene.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the team performance on Saturday, which I think we can all agree was a long way short of what's required - and the buck clearly stops with the management team for that, but it does strike me that a number of posters on here are very quick to jump on every fault when we lose, but are conversely very slow to praise when we do turn in a decent performance. If I could be bothered, I'd love to pull some stats for the average number of messages per thread for games we've lost vs games we've won... but life's too short, so I'm going to go back to not worrying too much, hoping things work out OK for the club (whoever is in charge of the playing side), and crossing my fingers for some better performances in the games to come.

Feel free to tear the above to shreds, only too happy to be of assistance if it helps you vent 😉

 

Barney.

When Jay Porter signed Andy said he has signed probably the best left back in the league,My gripe is why say that and then not play him.

Good post though Barney👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...